Forumite Forums General Topics Tech Windows Talk Windows 10 – Beware the Screen Saver!

• Creator
    Topic
    Ed P
    Participant

My wife kept crashing her Windows 10 NUC after one of the all too frequent horrendously horrible Windows 10 updates. I went through the usual routes of checking for driver updates (there were a bunch as Windows 10 does not play well with Intel Graphics drivers etc). No joy, the box would seize up with a black screen and require a hard power-off to get it going again. Of course this actions did not play too well with the OS and eventually that came down with a bunch of disk errors and a possibly corrupted uefi gpt. So a ‘clean’ install had to be made. I carried this out, restored all her files and thought – job done!

Windows of course did a bunch of their nasty updates and back to square one!

At long last sense took over and I watched what caused the seizure – about 15 minutes of inaction! Power settings, nasty hibernation were all ruled out. I did not even think of a screen saver as it is never set up – big mistake. It is there, and cuts in but there is no way to bring things back to life!

Morals of this saga is DO( set up a Windows 10  screen saver, even if you later disable it! The second moral is of course to totally distrust Win10 updates. 🙁

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      D-Dan
      Participant

I read the moral as don’t use Windows. But hey, that’s just me.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GB, 5 (yes -5) HDs inc 5 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, 2 x NV GTX 1070 8GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Ed P
        Participant

IF Xen etc had working bare-metal hypervisors with full pass-through of graphics then Windows 10 would be junked as failed technology. Unfortunately this facility (and  a few others such as decent games support) do not exist under Linux, so for the moment I cannot dump Windows 10 much as I would like to.

The Duke
          Participant

You have to worry for ms when one of your biggest income stream most people only use because they have to!

Ed P
            Participant

I forgot to add that of course you find the Screen Saver under Settings->Personalisation->Themes (a really obvious place to look-sarcasm). I should also add that the problem is probably associated with an Intel Graphics Driver as none of the other hardware in the house has the problem despite not have a screen saver set-up.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
            Forumite