Forumite

Reply To: Military Espionage

Participant
Bob Williams
@bullstuff2
Forumite Points: 13,463

As an aside I did not realise how worried Norway is about Sweden invading Oslo!

The two Scandinavians have a history of conflict, Ed. Denmark had already lost a war with Sweden, making several territorial concessions which included Norway. In 1814 the Danes covertly encouraged Norway into a war of independence. Norway lost, having a much smaller army than Sweden’s battle-hardened troops. The result was that Denmark had to make more territorial concessions and Norway became swallowed by Sweden, which at the time was a big power in Europe, supported by the UK, Russia and North Germany, all allied against Napoleon’s France. Sweden’s king became ruler of both Sweden and Norway.

Times and international relations changed. Sweden lost much of her military and international clout. By 1905 Norway had developed into a liberal, democratic nation, declaring and achieving independence, supported strongly by the UK. Norway still remains independent, refusing full membership of the EU and taking associate membership.

I have (Google) – translated some of the article, but as you know there is too much to show here. This is just the initial few statements:

This is Rena camp. One of the most important military areas in Norway. The orange dots show 40 mobiles that have been on the site. NRK has tracked down the mobile owners movements, in and out of working hours.

When mobile becomes the enemy

Every day, Norwegian officers and soldiers shout where they are. Without knowing it.
NRK has acquired information on the movements of Norwegians from a British company. The company has a business address in the heart of London, and states on its website that they “make accurate data accessible to everyone”.
The data NRK holds on shows accurate positions for 140,000 mobiles and tablets from 2019. The information comes from apps Norwegians have installed.

The data package cost NOK 35,000 and shows how easy it is to map parts of the lives of military personnel.
Several of the persons NRK has found are officers with in-depth knowledge of the Armed Forces’ weaknesses and strengths. Others have access to sensitive areas. This included, among other things, a soldier who has stayed in the area of ​​the Armed Forces’ elite elite soldiers, and a person who has stayed at one of the Intelligence Service’s stations in Northern Norway.

The information from the apps made it possible to see which houses some of them slept in, where they worked, what addresses they visited, and where they were at leisure. – If I had been a foreign intelligence, I would have regarded this as a powerful planning tool, which can be used to survey individuals, says Erik Reichborn-Kjennerud at the Norwegian Foreign Policy Institute (NUPI).

NRK’s findings concern the Defense’s top management.

– I personally find it a bit uncomfortable to know how closely you can conduct monitoring only when purchasing data from a third party, says Vice Admiral Elisabeth Natvig. She is the commander of the Defense Staff and is second in the series of commands in the Armed Forces. She will now look at the Armed Forces’ routines and regulations for how military personnel use the smartphone.

– I never think it is true that we can say that we have done enough, says Vice Admiral Natvig.

Yet another NATO member that cannot teach its Armed Forces military security.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
I'm out.