Forumite

Reply To: Mice Hunting – Battery Powered Camera

Participant
Les.
@oldles
Forumite Points: 1,757

When I moved into a “Just done up” cottage 50 years ago, a couple of months in, I heard  running feet and gnawing. Definitely rats, I thought. No cockloft entrance, since no proper roof space. I got one of the works carpenters to come and cut me a suitable access. I got a piece of wood onto which I screwed both a mouse trap and a rat trap. –Covering all possibilities. The piece of wood in case a big rat caught his foot and dragged the trap away.

Shortly after we went to bed, I heard a “Click”, got up, climbed up to look, and there was a tiny little mouse. Over the next two days, I caught two more, and that was that.

Over here I have had two similar events, once in the attack (similarly small, and again three caught. The next time, there was a scratching sound just above my head whilst I was in the living room. Strange! There is no space between ceiling and bedroom floor! The foul pipe from the upstairs toilet runs in a  roughly 5″ x 7″ wooden channel across to the rear of the cottage and away to the main foul drain. How had they got in there? There is a point where the wire from the earth rod enters by the door, and there was that pencil sized hole Dave mentioned. The buggers had got in there. I had to remove a piece of wood (2″ x 5″) where the duct narrowed by 2″, just managed to slide in my “Little Nipper” mouse trap with a bit of raison or something on it. Within five minutes, the familiar Click meant number one was caught. Another half hour and the second. This time I thing there were only the two.

The “Little Nipper” was a commonly available trap, maybe still is, but I did find they were not very sensitive, so I used to “tune them” before use, so that the slightest weigh set them off. That usually meant a matchstick glued by the crude sawcut where the bait plate pivoted.

Forget about rats, forget about cameras, forget about poisons. Just set a trap, if they are there you will catch them.

I don’t think you will get starlings in there this time of the year. During the nesting season, they will get in if there is a big enough hole, but you will see them. When I was a kid, we lived in and old house, Victorian, or maybe Georgian, with sagging rafters and holes in the soffits. I climbed in, having seen starlings enter. As I crawled over the rafters, they knew something was there, and flew out. I was patient. 5 mins, in comes starling. Grab, got it! I let it go, and blocked the entrance hole.

The nest was about a foot high, obviously used year upon year.

Les.