Forumite

21st Century Qatermass

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech 21st Century Qatermass

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I think you have to be of a certain age to remember being scared out of your pants, by the Martian insectivores in the late 50s  TV show ‘Quatermass and the Pit‘.

As usual SyFi was in advance of the times. Well, at least according to the Ohio professor who stated you can discern Martian insects in some NASA photos. No doubt you need to be staring with squinty eyes at the screen while downing half a bottle of Southern Comfort. The Authorities have been quick to stamp on such Area 51 subversive talk.😂

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,106

I remember Quatermass with fondness Ed, great programme and one of my introductions into SciFi, the other being the late great Arthur C. Clarke. If you had never seen it, or anything like it before, it was ‘behind the sofa’ stuff. In after years, during Army service, I learned that the portrayal of certain Army officers was quite realistic!

I have recently been following a FB page “Growing up in the 50’s and 60’s” which is interesting but does tend to get mawkish in parts. One discussion was about radio and TV programmes, quite a bit about old comedy shows such as “The Navy Lark”. I posted about “Journey Into Space” and “The Goon Show”, which kicked off another interminable ‘Marmite’ type debate. I used to listen to those two prog’s with my dad every Monday night during the years he was working permanent Night Shifts at the local pit. My old dad was 40 when I was born, but used to love those shows as much as I did; laughed like a drain at the Goons.

Happy days…

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    Alan Wood
    @alanrwood
    Forumite Points: 704

How’s about Dan Dare on Luxembourg at 7.15 pm nightly and also Scarlet Pimpernel with Marius Goring

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,041

Bob, check this out.

About 15 years ago a very good friend of my my mothers fella was potentially knocking on death’s door. No feeling at all below his neck. I also call him a mate.

I got a chipod with a SD slot and loaded it with radio programmes from his youth. He used to ask the nurses to put the headphones on and then do the physical therapy. I knew he was getting better when he said he fancied the nurse that washed him that day.🙂

Participant
    wasbit
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 1,318

We didn’t have a TV so I was cowering behind the sofa in next door’s living room. Most of it was the music. I vividly recall the end of the first episode, Holst’s Mars, the bringer of war played whilst a workman collapsed next to a mobile generator with the ground shaking.

I have loads of old time radio (OTR) if any of the regulars want any : Al Reed ;Bentine ;Beyond Our Ken ;Clithero Kid ;Doctor at Large ;Embassy Lark ;Floggits ;Frank Moir Goes Into ;Goon Show ;Hancock ;Hinge & Brackett ;ITMA ;Men From The Ministry ;Much Binding In The March ;Navy Lark ;Round the Horn ;Roy Castle ;Spike Milligan ;Steptoe & Son ;Stop Messin’ About ;Ted Ray ;Yes Minister, plus other assorted tracks.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by wasbit.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,106

Thanks Nolan!!!!!

Bookmarked, watched and listened to a couple already. Timeless humour.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,391

I remember it well one heck of a cool show on Hobs lane.

What was that film with the HEX. Kate Bush used a sample in one of her songs: Its in the tress, Its coming. I like that film to and especially the village of the Damned.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,134

What was that film with the HEX. Kate Bush used a sample in one of her songs: Its in the tress, Its coming. I like that film to and especially the village of the Damned.

Quote from Wikipedia:-

The versions worldwide differ slightly: the US single mix included an additional chorus just after the second chorus. The words “it’s in the trees, it’s coming!” heard at the beginning of the track are sampled from the British 1957 horror film Night of the Demon and are mouthed by an actor from the film, Reginald Beckwith,[2][3] who plays a medium channelling a character played by Maurice Denham, who provides the voice.

👍👍

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 13,902

. . .  the British 1957 horror film Night of the Demon

That brings memories of a sub-16 year-old brazening his way into the cinema with his mates only to spend most of the evening cowering away behind the 1s/9d seats! Iirc that film used a lot of near sub-sonics squeaky violinish sounds heralding the demon, in order to heighten the terror.

However we were not alone in our cowardice as the row of 17-18 year old NS REME squaddies in front of us were equally terrified.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Ed P.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.