3, it's been great but I'm off.

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk 3, it's been great but I'm off.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by TCBarrett 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

To Smarty. Which is owned by 3.

Usual rigmarole of ‘we can offer you this  great deal’ bowlocks. Nowhere near good enough. Not using enough of my allowance to justify another 12 month SIM only deal.

Contract is up on the 23rd, just got my PAC code, I’ll order a SIM soon, probably the £7.50 one. Even if I use all the data I’ll still be saving £4.50 a month before cashback and the 2nd and 3rd months for £0.  😁

My Instagram

My YouTube

Spread the love
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 959

I was on unlimited data at £25/month. Due to my soon-to-be-changing circumstances I was going to leave but they offered me 12GB and unlimited calls+texts for £13/month. I’m tied to that for a year and will re-think after that. The “One Plan” (unlimited everything) seems a long time ago! It is surprising how little mobile data you need when you are (or have to be) careful. Podcasts, netflix downloads, all sorts of ways to be a data scrooge! My first month on the new tarriff clicks over on Saturday and I’ve used 4GB (and 3.5GB of that was because I turned off WiFi at the gym by accident!).

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,445

BL – If you haven’t already, check if you’re eligible for Go Binge. Netflix is included, so doesn’t come out of your data allowance 🙂

http://www.three.co.uk/go-binge

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,814

I’ve been with 3 almost since day one, the rest of the family is on Tesco so I went to move.

Usual special deal crap which I pointed out were actually on their website, finally got put through to the PAC people. Unlimited mins and text, 4GB data for £9 a month for life. That was a few years ago and the real world has caught up, that’s now a standard deal but I can’t find anything better, including Smarty.

It seems loyalty does count as back in May I got caught out by the marine internet scam when crossing the channel. I phoned 3 and pointed out all I had been guilty of was leaving my phone turned on, which I thought not unreasonable as I wasn’t leaving the EU. It was their SIM that had connected me to the marine service, I was asleep. They offered to halve the charges (£17 by the time I noticed, what a rip off) but a bit of “assertion” (my daughter calls it scary Dad mode) and she let slip there was some sort of flag on my account and the charges disappeared.

I guess almost 15 years with the same provider gives them some sort of kudos somewhere.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 756

Currently with Tesco, but was considering changing at the end of the 12 month period, as the service in central Manchester is pretty poor. Not enough masts perhaps.

Currently on 3GB data for a £10 a month and I can go to elsewhere for cheaper.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,719

What I like about Smarty is the credit of unused data to the next bill. I’ve been using less than a GB every month bar one. Seeing as I’ve ordered the 2GB SIM to give myself a buffer I’ll be paying less than £6.25 a month (excluding cashback and the 2 free months), which should work out to be half of what I was paying. 3 themselves wouldn’t even try to get near that deal.  All they would offer was on the website.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Drez, tesco is O2, surprised that’s lacking in a big city. I get trouble in rural areas like North Cornwall, that’s why I put wireless into the family farm so they could all use WiFi calling.

Nolan, I suspect that like BT / Plusnet Smarty is their vehicle for cheapest deals so people can be sure they’re not getting the extras, like Wi-Fi calling. I see you get tethering though. Might be an alternative to my 3 mobile hot-spot sim.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Dave Rice.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Dave Rice.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Dave, I suspect you’re right. I don’t need wifi calling, most of my contact is via hangouts. The extra stuff 3 was trying to tempt me with just didn’t get used. I did watch about an hour of Netflix one month but as BL said with a bit of planning that’s easily got around.

I reckon I could survive on about 250MB if I put some effort in.

My Instagram

My YouTube

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 959

BL – If you haven’t already, check if you’re eligible for Go Binge. Netflix is included, so doesn’t come out of your data allowance 🙂 http://www.three.co.uk/go-binge

Thanks mate yes I’ve registered for that already.  I got so used to unlimited data that I had my wifi turned off for years. Now Wifi at home and gym takes care of a lot of data – phone has a monster battery and just leave wifi on – if kicks on anywhere I’ve saved. Downloading in advance has been my main gain though – including Netflix which I do out of habit now. Will see this year out then I can probably drop down to something like Dave’s plan. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 756

Drez, tesco is O2, surprised that’s lacking in a big city.

It’s got full 4G signal, just it’s unusable because it’s so slow. Clearly too busy and not enough masts. In fairness though it’s more of an inconvenience than anything.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I wonder if any other provider would be any better. Before I got her a 3 sim my daughter got very good at finding free WiFi and I suspect people are getting more savvy along with businesses feeling they have to provide it.

Even the British Legion in a back water of Bristol came under such pressure to provide it I got the job to implement it (an old colleague is the office manager). Ubiquiti to the rescue.

Bristol has had an urban 5G trial running for a while now with the University and the major players providing the infrastructure. But it’s for developers of urban solutions only, we’re talking running  a city solutions. But at some stage it’s going to be opened up, should be fabulous.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

If anyone fancies giving Smarty a go drop me a PM, I now have a referral link which will give 2 months free to the new customer and I’ll get a month free as well.

Just activated the SIM and put the PAC request in, all very easy so far, the dashboard also gives a very accurate reading of how much data I have left after checking the speed, 1.97 GB.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,231

If trump has his was that 5g trial will be ending soon! Most of his allies are shunning huawei

The only reason we haven followed suit on Thechauwei hate train, is that almost our whole back bone is hauwei hardware, AND they are the only company in The world that can do 5g from top to bottom. (infrastructure, hardware to end user tech) Qualcom can’t compete with Hauwei, and no one will for about 5 years or more, by then they’ll be 5 or more years down the road too. The Americans (and Rest of world) is half a decade behind hauwei on this. 5g is seen to be the future of everything from space, science, etc.. Not just a fast way to watch Netflix.

The chines have a full deck of cards, never mind a full hand. America is trying to cut off there funding. But I can’t see it working as if it is so important, the chines gov, and allie gov, will just fund it. I’m sure they already are.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Well I’m sure the Chinese will have no issues selling to people the US would rather they didn’t.

TCBarrett
    Participant
    @tcbarrett
    Forumite Points: 154

I signed up for their £5/month deal. Which is the cheapest Smarty can be if you use 0 data.

£5 only gets me 500mb data per month, but I’ve always been a wifi user, going back to when it was so much slower than wifi.

So. I’ll stick to my current plan. Good luck with Smarty! 🙂

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love