Forumite General Topics Tech Other Tech 4G got quick

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    The Duke
    Participant
      @sgb101

I was just setting up a new Giff Gaff sim for my youngest, checked its 4g speed and it got a not great 3.16 down and a very respectable 12.3up.

So I tried my phone on EE and got a mind blowing 29.7 down and 17.5up.

That is amazing. I recall one exams about 4 years ago, having to live on 3g about 3meg when our then 8down (but was 3 in reality) was down. Now almost 30meg.

amazing. Especially the upload speeds, they used to be about 0.1 on 3g. Welcome to the future.

Dave Rice
      Participant
        @ricedg

Been getting those speeds for a while. Quite often now I’ll just turn WiFi off when leaving the house as I’m sick of networks like the bus and train hijacking my connection plus they’re slower any way!

The Duke
        Participant
          @sgb101

I noticed one on the 40s in Manchester last year. But that’s a big city. Only tested it as the hotel wifi was poor.

It’s been a few years since I’ve tested what 4g I get at home, as ive had no reason too. But that are crazy speeds. Hopefully 5g covers the majority of the island with speeds of alterations 20meg. And that’s job done.

Dispute my 30meg, I’m in laws are 5 min walk away  and I can’t get a signal at all. Same over the hill too.

Oh I think at Rhyl train station I could get 10meg on wifi last year. Which was a massive jump of sub half meg the year before. I picked the  kids up from there at 2am most Fri and Sat nights l, for about 5 years. They all worked at an Indian restraint. From 16 5o 18/19. My 16 year old looks like he will be starting there this summer. So it looks like dad’s taxi will be back in business.

Dave Rice
          Participant
            @ricedg

I’m 8 miles out of the centre of Bristol and there’s farmland next to our estate. However we are right by Bristol Parkway station. The Three mast just pokes over the top of the other side of the railway embankment and isn’t line of sight of most of the house (slight hill in the way).

My phone and Huawei portable MiFi work best in the window on the 2nd or 3rd floor but sat here now on the 2nd floor behind an outside wall I’m still getting 36.9 down and 7.11 up. That’s only a smidgen less than my TT FTTC connection.

5G is going to be more about infrastructure for the IoT – and IoT includes big things like cars not just kettles. For what most people use their phones for 4G is more than enough and the rest is hype look at this Bristol to trial superfast 5G networks.

It’s a fundamentally different technology and the headline very fast speeds at very low latency is at very high frequency so will have small coverage and will be worse penetrating buildings. Here’s the reality of the “public trial” of 5G in Bristol:

“In March 2018 we are taking the challenge to deliver an end-to-end 5G network in Bristol’s Millennium Square and to demonstrate for the first time 5G services to the general public.

“We have worked closely with our strategic technology partners BT, CCS, Nokia and Zeetta Networks in order to deliver a truly unique 5G Test Network and we are very excited to create the world’s first public 5G experience.”

Event attendees will also have the opportunity of viewing a real time transmission sent from a connected autonomous vehicle (CAV), parked in Millennium Square for the duration of the weekend.

The public are involved but not participating. Not what you were expecting from the hype?

Tippon
            Participant
              @tippon

4G here is usually faster than the fibre from Vodafone, so I just ran Speedtest on the phone.

4G through Three was 27.1 down and 32.7 up, wifi was 12 down and 1.96 up.

Vodafone can’t figure out why I’m not happy with their service…

PlaneMan
              Participant
                @planeman

Waiting to see a trick cyclist, outside in the car park. Impressed with the speed.

blacklion1725
                Participant
                  @blacklion1725

My work ipad has a vodfone SIM and speedtest reports 26.7 down and 3.94 up – and its telling me its 3G….can that be right (thought 3G topped out around 20) ? My own phone is on Three and reports 4G with 21.3 down and 33.44 up at the same place. Three goes much faster about a mile up the road (>30 and sometimes >40)

Wheels-Of-Fire
                  Participant
                    @grahamdearsley

Even with the slightly dodgy 4G reception where I live I still get 31Mb down and 18Mb up with 02.

The Duke
                    Participant
                      @sgb101

I remember getting my first broadband a hole half a meg, I recall that feeling like the future. Only 30mins to download an MP3.

In 15 years time I can’t see us looking back at how slow 30meg was. As at this point. I see anything over 5 acceptable for a single device, and 30 more than adequate for most homes. So in 2030 when we have half a gig or more, I don’t think we’ll look back on 30 as slow.

I see BB now like electric or water. In most cases we don’t worry if there is enough avalible. It’s just there.

It’s getting to the point, that Internet is a must, (especially as it grows). to the point I recon at some point it will be protected like energy is for the elderly and houses with children.

I think a year or so back, the EU was trying to designate it a human right. I’m not to sure, but I get what they was aiming for.

Robin Long
                      Participant
                        @knightmare007

My EE S7 just produced 30.4 down and 1.28 Up on 4g(literally 1 bar)

Daughter’s  LG G5 on Giff Gaff 11.8 down and 7.56 up on 4g (2 bars)

We have a really poor 4G signal here in North Ayrshire

Cheers Knight,

RIP Spike09 Your Missed
                        If I'm not here, I'm there.

Finally joined Twitter! longr79

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                      Forumite