Forumite Forums General Topics Tech Linux Talk 5 ghz wifi dongle for Linux

• Creator
    Topic
    RSB
    Keymaster

Can anyone recommend a WiFi dongle that runs on Linux ,5 GHz preferably or mixed. I bought one but it’s windows/mac only and no amount of tinkering will get it going on Linux and I am not going back to 10 for the sake of a dongle.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Contact Admin: admin@forumite-chewey.co.uk

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      D-Dan
      Participant

There are a bucket load on Amazon. Alternatively, if you have an ethernet port, you could get a Raspberry Pi and service that as a WiFi dongle.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GB, 5 (yes -5) HDs inc 5 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, 2 x NV GTX 1070 8GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Dave Rice
        Participant

Not at a lot @ 5Ghz, and I know from experience not to listen to claims in ads. I think that’s why Lee is asking for personal recommendations.

I have just bought this USB adaptor that is no longer required for the project. Give me a few days to be able to test it on actual Linux hardware. If it doesn’t work I have this one that is in use on a Windows machine but could be swapped out. Both work on Windows 10 out of the box which allows me to confirm the claims to speed etc.

It’s funny, the more the years roll by the more Linux is king of the server and Windows is king of the desktop. I wouldn’t contemplate reversing their roles for one minute in my business. Also my servers and services are now mostly cloud based and cost a fraction of what they did, so much so that I bundle some for free they cost me so little.

RSB
          Keymaster

I had actually looked at the first one you linked to already but as usual no mention of Linux. I have just upgraded FTTC 80 meg and I want to make the most of it. The modem is downstairs and main PC upstairs. I am sick to death of all the cables in the house. I tried a home plug setup but I am loosing 40 meg through them. I have tried a laptop next to where my main PC is and I am  getting good speeds with it’s on-board wireless.

Dave Rice
            Participant

Should be able to do something tomorrow.

RSB
              Keymaster

Was doing a bit of primenow shopping last night as I fancied a beer before bed and found this. It clearly states works with linux on the box but yet again another fail. Apparently it is possible to get it going with some terminal bashing but I change distros often so I do not fancy that. I also bought the other week with no luck THIS.

Dave Rice
                Participant

Lee and I have had a PM exchange about this but I’ll repeat it here as some may find it useful. Firstly my 5Ghz USB devices all failed the Linux test. Can’t say I am hugely surprised.

I have been using TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Points in AP, Bridge and Client modes for the last 2 / 3 years and find them rock solid. As you are dealing with Ethernet and set up is via a browser they are o/s neutral. They have 5dbi antenna so signal is only an issue of you live in an “awkward” house.

I have had one attached to my Sky box 24 / 7 for 2 years and it’s never missed a beat. When we had work done in the house and had to temporarily move the router, I used a pair as a wireless bridge to the new location. 24 / 7 for 6 weeks, no problem. They are £22.36 on Amazon

There are dual band 5Ghz equivalents around from all the usual players but they are considerably more expensive. I have no experience of them as 300 is fast enough for me in the circumstances I use them.

Forgot to add it comes with it’s own passive PoE injector so can be used 30 metres from a power socket.

Tippon
                  Participant

I have been using TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300 Mbps Wireless N Access Points in AP, Bridge and Client modes for the last 2 / 3 years and find them rock solid. As you are dealing with Ethernet and set up is via a browser they are o/s neutral. They have 5dbi antenna so signal is only an issue of you live in an “awkward” house.

Would I be right in thinking that these would have a better signal than something with a built in antenna? I’m still getting dead spots at home, and for that price I might just give it a try. Would there be much actual difference in signal strength with the 450 Mbps version with three antenna? It’s currently £30

Dave Rice
                    Participant

3 antenna would give you another go at mimo but you would only get 450 if the other end can do 450 as well, this is rare. It would also involve more channels giving more chance of interference from the neighbours.

I have a spare 300 in the cupboard, more than happy for a try before you buy.

Tippon
                      Participant

3 antenna would give you another go at mimo but you would only get 450 if the other end can do 450 as well, this is rare. It would also involve more channels giving more chance of interference from the neighbours.

It’s the strength I’m thinking of more than speed. My bathroom and bedroom are across one room then back two and three from the living room, so the signal goes through the corners of several plasterboard walls. The garage is under the bedroom, so has a combination of all that plus the floor.

I’ve just realised as I’m typing that I’ve got a dual antenna N150 Asus router floating around. I’m using it to connect my smart bulb, as the TalkTalk router won’t recognise it. I’ve got no idea how good the signal from it is though, as I forgot all about it until just now ??

I have a spare 300 in the cupboard, more than happy for a try before you buy.

Thanks for the offer, but I’ll try the forgotten Asus first ?

Dave Rice
                        Participant

Dual antenna gives you some mimo, making the best out of the signal it can get. If the Asus has removable antenna I’ve probably got some better ones hanging around.

Tippon
                          Participant

Sorry Dave, I forgot to reply to you. Thanks for the offer, but I’ve decided to bite the bullet and buy the 450 Mbps version. The Asus router is being a bit flaky, so I need to replace it anyway. I may as well buy a replacement while I’m not desperate for a change :D

It’ll be a week or two before I can order it knowing that I’ll be home, but I’ll let you know how it performs in an awkward house :)

Dave Rice
                            Participant

There is always a solution, it’s just how deep are your pockets ?

That’s why I’ve invested in test gear for the business, site surveys are everything.

Tippon
                              Participant

Pockets? You posh bugger! I’m at the fake pockets on jackets stage ?

Seriously though, if I was doing this even semi regularly I’d invest in some kit, but I stopped doing anything other than some fixes for friends years ago. I’ve had one laptop here for almost two years because I keep forgetting about it. Luckily my friend had already written it off as dead ?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                              Forumite