5g a choice for criminals.

HOME Forums Tech Security Talk 5g a choice for criminals.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

The Duke
    @sgb101

This Gizmodo artical goes along way to givinijg weight to my opinion on why the Americans don’t want hauweis version of 5G hitting the market years before the US (or anyone else) has a fully working system. Cos they can’t sky on it.

The public reasoning that it’s cos china posinaly could is BS, and the artical just highlights this.

https://gizmodo.com/want-to-do-crimes-upgrade-to-5g-apparently-1836543466

Spread the love
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,374

So the politicians warn us of 5G being used for spying and the snooping agencies complain it can’t be used for that purpose. Can’t have it both ways. It was always bollocks when Trump said he would lift the ban if the Chinese played ball on trade.

I’ve always said it’s the Americans and UK politicians we have to watch, not the Chinese or Russians.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,301

Steve, you are crediting the so called USA leader with the capability to think. His prime motivation is to clamp the Chinese without thinking about anything else. Of course, he ignored Cisco’s holed below the water line software security, though they are not in the 5g race anyway so perhaps they should be ignored rather than get deployed anywhere and as for Oracle and sailing boat Larry the friend of the Orange with legs and a mouth the least said about him the better.

If 5g really was the threat to end all threats why would anyone on local political circles still be keen to seek its launch. As it is well outside my spending plans so is of little interest to me apart from seeing the wild eyed theories getting thrown about.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,448

Be a long time before 5g gets anywhere near the sticks here, if ever. We would just like to begin with 2g, or any bloody signal! EE are currently working to rebuild the local mast, which is supposed to have been done “Within 8 to 10 working days.” They must work a 2 day week, that period of 5 day working days was up last week.

At least I have the EE Brightbox (cheers JCD!) but there is a stretch from just outside Louth for about 8 or 10 miles along the A157, where no signal is possible. I would like to lynch Kevin bloody Bacon from that inoperative mast!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,630

I’m not giving trump any credit. If anything its thd oppersite. Working on the advice of his security people, they are saying we will lose assess to spying if this Chinese company get a match on us. So it’s span as Chinese can possible spy on you…. Not hauwei have a technology that stops us spying on you

Also trump can play the bring it home and uses American companies and workforce intesd of having to bend to the Chinese companies.

Leaving out huawei run the back bone of almost evey comtery, and have done for about ten years.

It’s all BS from amaeics, to stop them being in the dark when it comes to spying. I said it the day this story first broke about a year ago, and noting has changed my mind. If anything its strnghend my resolve.

One thing I will give credit for is how good the pr machines in both US and UK work, alot now believe the BS that has been pumped out over the last 12 months. Even though there is zero evedence to back up trumps claims. By trumps I mean the people pulling his strings.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I am with you there Bob, mind you wireless reception only ever comes on the whim of what ever deity is in favour at any point in time. Though I drove past fields of ripening wheat a few hundred yards from home yesterday, I am not in the wilds of the countryside, but ‘services’ are far from being top-notch though they are far better than anything that the FCC can crow about in the USA. Of course, that is really setting a low barrier over which even stone gargoyles can expect to step if not take a running jump. For me the real dual killers are will it ever arrive in a usable form in my area in my life-time and at what cost. The initial indications are that it will be ever more delayed, for whatever reasons and however thin those reasons might appear to be plus the costs will be even more stratospheric than current projections support.

I have nothing against either Nokia or Ericsson, who are both present 5G providers (and I preferred their phones when they were available, but as is ever the case the market went off in a different direction). A market place with a choice of just two vendors does appear to be limited and lack any real choice or competitive thrust, though that is one too many for the USA cable industry and its pet dog in the FCC the infamous Pai, whose preference is to have one monopolist stealing from oops Cable Co ‘serving’ the suffering punters.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,630

As as I know all current providers of 5g are using huawei chips, and the recevers are defo huawei made.

They are the only only oem that can do both ends arm. That is why America want to slow its release. As 5g is going to take over alot of wired Internet. Meaning it a Chinese company will have the Internet tied up, basically taking control away form America.

That is the reson America are kicking up so much of a fuss.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,140

Vodafone 5G is a fair price. Unlimited for £30 a month. £20 after some cashback.

OFC you need to be in a coverage area. I’m on the edge of it but the 4G is fine for me.

My Instagram

My YouTube

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,294

I just hope that Trump and his military cronies are spending so much time spying on my social media detritus that they forget what they are supposed to be watching.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

In the extremely unlikely event that they have the slightest interest in my social life on line or real, they would have a field day worrying as they will find zero on line and zero in real life either. The more worrying aspect would be that if they were wasting time on me, they clearly have seriously misplaced priorities and need a serious reset of their operational parameters. Having said that, unless they have improved since I had casual contacts, (and the recent evidence of their recruitment and vetting does not inspire confidence), it is doubtful they could find their own backside even using both hands, so they probably have little idea what they are seeking anyway.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

As as I know all current providers of 5g are using huawei chips, and the recevers are defo huawei made. They are the only only oem that can do both ends arm. That is why America want to slow its release. As 5g is going to take over alot of wired Internet. Meaning it a Chinese company will have the Internet tied up, basically taking control away form America. That is the reson America are kicking up so much of a fuss.

If 5G has any chance to take over from the cable operators in the US then that alone could be the most powerful reason to try to limit its spread within the USA until the likes of the cable operators can strong arm the system to support their malign ways of funds raising. Selling crap at the highest possible price would no longer bring in their bacon if, and it is a big if they could be bypassed.

Meanwhile, here in the UK I see little chance of having a meaningful cost effective version of 5G within my likely lifetime. We still have to rely on wired service to have any useful and reliable cost effective services. Also, I am unclear how multi-user set-ups would function. If one user went out they would presumably take their service with them, that would leave anyone else at base with no services. So everyone would need an expensive service. Then whose service would sustain in home services? That is just one of the foreseeable issues we would face.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I think you’re being a bit pessimistic Richard. Early adoption will be expensive, but the timescale to the likes “3 unlimited” deals will be quicker than it has been with 4G. The genie is out of the bottle.

Personally 4G on the move would be fine for me, I have no interest in downloading video on the go. However a portable device, such as my £45 Huawei “pebble” with a PAYG has been useful for work and on family holidays so a 5G version would be of interest. I can see a fixed WiFi enabled device, such as we’ve been talking about in another thread, taking over the ISP job for SOHO and small business.

For me FTTC is dead now if I can get a decent 4G signal, which is nearly always the case in urban and semi-urban areas. The same Draytek routers I use in businesses can already take a USB dongle so there’s no compromise involved.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

It maybe that I am seeing too little progress on either deployment or cost fronts to allow an easy choice. My needs are basic. The evolution from 2g through short-lived 3g to 4G provided little performance benefit, so I am perhaps a little jaded. Each came with incremental costs reducing the apparent value gain and 5G subscription charges along with device costs appear to be unattractive compared with our present admittedly flawed services.

We need:

1) An always on service to the house 24/7 irrespective of who is in or out.

1.1) A data service to the home location to support such as internet, and e.g. some catch-up services, (used mainly by my wife I have to say. I trust they will be made more user-friendly in the future with better indexing/searching capabilities. I tend to spend all my time looking to see if something appeals, rather than watching something interesting I have found.)

2) Two people able to receive calls both at home and to a marginally lesser extent when they are out. We require a common number representing ‘home’ rather than a particular person, as well as personal numbers as an optional, but useful benefit. Currently, my wife’s mobile is patched into the house system when she is at home, as she finds the mobile reception offers degraded voice use and the mobile is rarely ‘with her person’ in the house. A number of DECT extensions make an easier option.

2.1) Other services are useful, e.g. text/data services that allow e.g. NHS and others to confirm appointments.

3) None of this is beyond the whit of human beings, but our home reception of wireless remains at best ‘patchy’ and we require at least three ‘subscriptions’ between two people. The house ‘subscription’ provides both broadband, and the most reliable phone service at a competitive price. Mobile services at less than £10 per month are sensibly priced for our needs. I use less than 2% of my data 5 GB allowance.

I agree that like you, downloading films or other bulk data loads on the move is not on either of our agendas, though some data communication abilities are of value, Google maps and mobile navigation services can be a life saver, e.g. at 03:00 when tracing previously unknown hospitals. None of this requires 5G unless and until 5G is able to fill in the present patchy radio service availability, it offers us little benefit. We are not far distant from London, though a ripening range of wheat fields is within a few hundred yards of our house. The relatively narrow roads do not make for easy country walks, though they do make for pleasant views from a car window.

Perhaps it will happen, but I do not favour holding my breath.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I think a lot of the benefits of 5G will be where we can’t see them.

Bristol has been involved in an “urban trial” of 5G for several years, lead by the University who host the back end. 5g has been installed in the street furniture around the centre and docks (for those who don’t know Bristol, like London the docks are now for leisure). This isn’t for consumers, it’s to test the infrastructure for managing a city and what they call “Smart Tourism”.

Some idea of what was required to provide a public showcase experience in Millenium Square this March can be seen here.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Dave, that was an interesting view, but I am not sure if it has much relevance to ordinary folk not in tourism centres or urban settings. It looks pretty investment intensive suggesting a real demand requirement. It will be interesting to see how it translates into real world offerings, though mapping the offering to my world is proving ‘challenging’. Paying for it is a whole different question.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

That was just a public showcase so had to be showy, but the point was to test the different layers to see what was required.

It’s not just 5G and plug things into it, there’s a whole load of other processing needs to happen and it’s all got to work together and quickly. This one was necessarily a lash up but it worked. What we haven’t seen are the results of the urban management as that’s not sexy enough for headlines but is the most important part, the legs paddling furiously away under the swan keeping it moving.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love