Forumite General Topics Health and Well being Diet A curry a day keeps Brain-Rot at Bay!

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    The Duke
    Participant
      @sgb101

We had a mobile hog roast at the nighttime of our wedding. Had a few, always great, but heart attack material .

Richard
      Participant
        @sawboman

Some people need a lot of salt, back in 2016 I helped Sean Conway on the cycling leg of his ridiculous triathlon around the UK. I cycled with him from Cardiff to Barry and gave him pointers on getting further easier (local knowledge). He has to add salt to virtually everything as his sweat contains 4 times as much salt as a normal persons and nobody knows why.

I lived in a ‘warm’ place where the shade temperature was up in the mid 40s C for chunks of the year.  It did not matter whether it was day or night the temperature and humidity (<97%) hardly changed so physical activity required both adequate fluids and salt. After activities, I could drink three or four pints of water, without needing to go anywhere near the bathroom. Hours later when  the 5th or 6th pint of water was on board, thing might start to change. Care was needed, as drinking too fast was a serious health risk, but I found it was rare to feel thirsty.

Ed P
        Participant
          @edps

It looks possible that galloping brain-rot is another ill that can be attributed to sugar. So no mango chutney with your curry!

link

Richard
          Participant
            @sawboman

We had a mobile hog roast at the nighttime of our wedding. Had a few, always great, but heart attack material .

My son-in-law expressed an interest in a hog roast but as the wedding was late in the year it was decided that while it would have been nice if it all went well, it was too big a gamble with the weather. In the end no one starved and it was all a success. Five years of them trying to decide where, what, how, when and then less than three of months to pull it all together. Getting ‘the dress’ was a miracle, it was unpacked to go on display in the shop that morning. Our daughter went in and decided that was the one for her. The shop owner had not even seen it by that point. A hooded gatecrasher might have ruined to event but was seen and chased off in time.

Richard
            Participant
              @sawboman

There has also been a whole slew of references to retirement causing earlier onset of mental deterioration. It is clearly a multifaceted problem.

Ed P
              Participant
                @edps

There has also been a whole slew of references to retirement causing earlier onset of mental deterioration. It is clearly a multifaceted problem.

While the finding may be correct, I am extremely cautious about anything where correlation and causation are so closely linked. e.g. People retire as they get older, + brain deterioration takes place in older people!

Bob Williams
                Participant
                  @bullstuff2

Steve, it’s a long way for them to come to your mountain, but this Lincolnshire company is a mobile Hog Roaster:

http://tinyurl.com/yathoj7d

And their Roasts taste absolutely delicious!

They are very, very busy all year round. There are loads of Events, fetes, village Shows etc. in Lincs, including the Stationary Engine Shows my son organises and takes his engines to. In the season, they have to be booked well in advance. A Licolnshire success story, not surprising in the UK’s Food County.

Stop drooling at the back there!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                  I'm out.

Richard
                  Participant
                    @sawboman

While the finding may be correct, I am extremely cautious about anything where correlation and causation are so closely linked. e.g. People retire as they get older, + brain deterioration takes place in older people!

Well not everyone retires that late in life, I retired in my mid fifties, though I have not been more busy since I left ‘work’. Most of the time dealing with pretty mind activities.

Richard
                    Participant
                      @sawboman

The references I saw considered retirements at differing age points but be that as it may, it is clear that the loss of brain function such as varieties of dementia can arise from many different factors. I was reading the blog of Dr Katarina Kos a senior lecturer in the Medical School https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/exeterblog/blog/2015/04/06/the-birthday-cake-dilemma/ 

Her identified mechanisms bring together the disparate contributors to the development of dementia genetics, social isolation, diabetes, inappropriate food intake, etc.

Ed P
                      Participant
                        @edps

Any studies of humans over a period of decades can only be very broad strokes. They will largely depend on how well–crafted are the data collection and any  survey forms. My wife has recently had to fill in a very large extremely poorly crafted bone-density survey. It required yes/no answers to events that took place decades ago and would not accept a ‘do not know/remember’ response. It further compounded the uselessness of the survey by using specific obscure medical terminology for various complaints and omitted others which probably have a major bearing on results. I told my wife to just tick ALL the boxes where she did not know, but she is too conscientious and left them blank to discuss at the hospital. I told her she was making a big error, in that the form designer needs to be taught a lesson.  Given that most of the population are either not as intelligent or as diligent as my wife any results from that particular survey are going to be worthless, but will no doubt be published for ‘evidence-based’ decision making.

Richard
                        Participant
                          @sawboman

The link which I posted suggested that while the researcher did see and interact with patients, she was first a foremost an endocrinologist studying the mechanisms at work within the endocrine system.

Because of the state of my hands I rarely, if ever fill in forms by hand. I scan them and type onto the scans, I can then add enough text to cover any answers. Every time I present such a form the reaction is, ‘well score two points, one for completing the form and a second because we can read the entries’. Apparently a less than 50% return rate is normal with an illegible rate well into double figures, a quarter of completed being useless was quoted.

That said I agree, most such forms were apparently designed not to be correctly completed. Their value is only to complicate, obfuscate and confuse. At those goals they excel. I also wonder how many people change their race/ethnicity and religion and other constant data between visits when they attend more than once. All of this crap needs staff, space , facilities and processing power adding to the operational costs.

Richard
                          Participant
                            @sawboman

Any studies of humans over a period of decades can only be very broad strokes. They will largely depend on how well–crafted are the data collection and any survey forms.

I might have missed one aspect of what you were saying, the studies of retirement mortality and health data does tend to avoid the use of self completed data. The subjects are dead or gaga anyway, so it has to come from notionally more reliable sources such as, e.g. pension funds and death certificates. I briefly worked in a bank and the subjective data one collected was ‘interesting’.  I remember on old chap who had been a solicitor, in effect set up his own pension fund which he watched like a hawk. He was razor sharp, still performed a couple of part time jobs and hobbies well into his mid eighties. Two maiden sisters 20~30 years his junior could no longer fill their own cheques. The easy conclusion was one was protected by mental activity and the others were destroyed by idleness – but I prefer real evidence?

Ed P
                            Participant
                              @edps

Unfortunately even ‘real’ evidence depends on how thorough a job was made of its collection and how good the researcher is at multi-variant analysis. Based on some of the quotes medical researchers feed to the press, many would fail a simple stats course.

Sticking with dementia, one very simple fact is that overweight (not obese) people live longer and are therefore more likely to show signs of brain deterioration. Many (because they are overweight) will also have been stuck on drugs such as statins that are known to have negative impacts on the brain. (the body’s biggest store/use of cholesterol is in the brain).. In consequence, even with dead bodies, sorting out the multi-variant space is a non-trivial task and the old edict ‘correlation <> causation’ applies.

The Duke
                              Participant
                                @sgb101

I do love the irony that this thread and the RSB diet thread has been moving in tandem the last few days.

Richard
                                Participant
                                  @sawboman

Yes, there are issues surrounding all data. Were thin people correctly thin (question what does correctly mean?) or suffering from undisclosed or undiagnosed conditions affecting their metabolism/life expectancy. Are those who are slightly larger simple in general in the happier middle ground between extremes? What is the ideal body mass? It is said to be different for different racial groups, are the steps even correct for all sub types within the large numerical groups? Is there even hard data from which to draw conclusions?

Very little (nothing?) exists in isolation from anything else except an unobtainable perfect vacuum. The brain and the body in general need the right sort of cholesterol and perhaps justifiably intrusive studies are required to match different genetic and endocrine types to their correct life needs in terms of e.g. nutrition.

Sadly, no one currently has good enough data to decide the issue one way or another probably because too much research is funded by ‘interest groups’. Every ‘today’s fad’ becomes yesterday’s chip wrapper, (sorry newspapers cannot be reused that way) call it recycling material. An fuller understanding of fundamental body processes is a vital first step.

Viewing 15 posts - 21 through 35 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                Forumite