A Light on Dark Matter!

HOME Forums Other Stuff A Light on Dark Matter!

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Well at least 50% of so-called ‘Dark Matter’ isn’t mysterious fairy dust bound together by witching spells. The 50% that has just been identified is just the normal sort of energetic krap that forms the rest of the Universe. link

I’ll dance for joy when it is shown that the other 50% has a rational explanation such as non-energetic cosmic dust/asteroid clouds that does not require the invocation of more and more absurd kludges to fit the Dark Matter/Energy  fairy tale. Maybe some galaxies appear red-shifted because they are shining though a whole lot of red dust!

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,804

Ed, although that is a fascinating breakthrough regarding Dark Matter, I was more interested in another link from the NS regarding Lyme disease:     http://tinyurl.com/lp98nst

Yet another disease for which a working vaccine was developed after lots of expense and R&D, only to be discredited by public hysteria. And the disease-carrying agents are prevalent in some areas of the UK:     http://tinyurl.com/y8x8skno     -moving into other areas.

If you live in a wooded area, or quite often visit woods and forests with a high proportion of mature Oak trees, look for acorns on the ground. A bumper crop means food for mice and mice carry the disease. They and the ticks are unharmed by Lyme, but the ticks transfer it to humans. The truly ridiculous fact is that your dog will already be vaccinated against it, but there is no vaccine for humans.

As for Dark Matter, I have long been expecting certain Middle East religious leaders to declare that as the work of Satan, acting through the West. I also expect a further bulletin at some point, declaring that the scientists have discovered the whereabouts of the Half-Crown that I lost in 1953. My ear still feels the impact of our mam’s right hand!

Redshift is explained in this article:    http://tinyurl.com/yc8xtkkm

Basically, if an object is moving away from an observer, it is red-shifted. Moving towards the observer, it is blue-shifted. Put very simply, this is the basis of the “Big Bang” and the Expanding Universe Theory. If this new discovery changes that theory and means that the Universe may actually be in a Steady State, we should hear lots of mirth from the shades of some long-dead scientists, including Sir Fred Hoyle, who totally opposed the Big bang theory. Quotes from Sir Fred, a very intelligent man with a great SOH: –

Space isn’t remote at all. It’s only an hour’s drive away if your car could go straight upwards.

Things are the way they are because they were the way they were.

There is a coherent plan to the universe, though I don’t know what it’s a plan for.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,731

Nasty thing Lyme disease. I once lived about 25 miles away from Lyme. Quite a wooded countryside with lots of water and deer everywhere. A friend of mine had one of the early diagnoses of full-blown Lyme disease. It causes all sorts of odd side effects – in addition to many of the usual symptoms he grew a damned great painful lymphoma on his forehead and the medical fraternity were completely puzzled. Following diagnosis it all cleared up with massive doses of antibiotics. However he complained that he had become subject to huge mood swings.

I see other reports that they are now saying that 50%+ of Chronic Fatigue disease may in fact be an undiagnosed variant of Lyme disease.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 590

I have a sneaking susspision that gravity may be a high energy sub atomic particle that is actually PUSHING me onto the earth.

My theory is that empy space is actually full of gravity particles flying around in all directions.

If you were in open space then gravity would be mostly passing through you from all sides but enough of it would hit your atoms to generate an equal force in all directions.

In open spase you would appear weightless because of the equal force but get near a massive object like a planet and it would act like a gravity shield on one side.

The resault would be you would be pushed towards the planet just like it was attracting you.

By the way this is something I thought up when I was alone and drunk 🤔

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 221

Well, we always knew it was there?

I’m queitly confident that gravity will destoy everything in the end.

Newton thought light had weight and one of his pals on the back of this predeicted black holes.

x2 truths that took hundreds of years to prove.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

W-o-F: gravity, like most forces in the Universe, is both a Wave and a Particle. The more that scientific research discovers about waves and particles, together with quantum physics, the clearer this becomes.

Keith: light does indeed have mass (= weight, roughly) as light is composed of photons, and each photon is a particle, which is also a wave. Black holes and gravity waves are related, but just when you thought it was safe to venture into another galaxy: –

http://tinyurl.com/lfzsycg

-things get really scary!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Don’t forget the EmDrive!  That will solve your anti-gravity dreams.

I have a sneaky suspicion that gravity and inertia have a relationship, as I have never seen a very satisfactory explanation of either. All the explanations I’ve seen are just definitions of their observed effects rather than a ‘Why they do what they do.’ That said I do like this little animation of both.effects

link

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

And I thought my idea was unique 😭

I have a theory two about waves as well though.

As was mentioned above I too have a distrust of magic forces made of nothing.

I am going to propose then that all waves need a medium to move through.

This would mean that we are surrounded by static photons and electronagnetic particles that we cannot detect until we put some energy into them.

I also think that like with water and air these particles do not have to move in waves, you can just shoot them like with a water pistol.

I know you can just shoot an electron and they say you can shoot a single photon.

Gravity waves would be easier to explain if space is full of gravity particles.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Most of any mysterious quantum strangeness (e.g. action over a distance, tunneling, coupling etc) can be explained if you think of any particles such as photons as packets of waves with the energy of the wave packets following some sort of probability curve around the main path of the wave.

Einstein infamously dismissed this way of looking at things by saying ‘God does not play dice’.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Im with Einstein on this one. Best to look for a simple explination. Look at the early astronomers who came up with complicated equasions and tables to explain the movements of some strange stars they saw in the sky. If you follow their methods you get the right results but for all the wrong reasons !

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I forgot to mention the second part of my thinking on waves and also quantum (sub atomic) strangeness..

If space IS full of static sub atomic particles then all waves can be compression waves. All water waves are compression waves and you only get to see the classic sinusodal shape at the boundry between two medium, in this case air and water.

This may explain why quantum energy seems to travel in packets. Really haven’t looked into this though.

The other thing is these things are smaller than photons and really must travel faster than light to carry the energy they do.

Traveling faster than light may explain why things appear to be in two places when you try to look at them with photons and also that bit about just looking at them destroying the effect.

As before just a thought 😊

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Photons ARE light.

Only Muhammad Ali could travel faster than light:

I’m so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.

But he also said this:

I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. ”

So I begin to doubt his FTL speech.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Yes Bob photons ARE light and these things are smaller.

I would not DARE to quertion Eignsteign about the behaviour of normal sized matter 😊

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Here is a question

A photon enters your eye and is detected when it hits your retina.

I am assuming the photon gives up its energy during the impact so you can detect it but what happens to the photon ?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

No idea wrt eyes, but generally speaking when a photon hits an object part is absorbed and part reflected/scattered. The part that is scattered generally speaking has the same wavelength as the incident photon, but we tend to see it as a measure of surface roughness or structure. The  story does not end with the bit that is absorbed as most often a lower energy photon is emitted/reflected out of the object. The wavelength of this is a characteristic of the material that was hit and we see this as colour. For example when sunlight shines on a leaf, the blue portion of the light is absorbed and the red-green bit reflected back out. see link for a better more full description. (you need an ir camera to see the red bit)

There are exceptions (there always are) to this generalization – first florescence and rather than my just regurgitating stuff see the wiki. Phosphorescence the second exception is something else again and can be quite beautiful on some tropical beaches. I believe you can sometimes see in on West Country beaches but I have never been lucky enough to see it.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

A perfect explanation Ed, thank you!

Light is also heat of course, albeit a miniscule amount: possibly a few dozen (?) photons entering the eye energises the optic nerve, as well as the chemical reactions inside the eye.

Biology and the workings of the human eye, not my strong point.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Bob Williams.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I simplified the scattering bit and only dealt with direct reflection. Due to the vector components of the photon the scattered light from irregular surfaces has apparently different wavelengths depending on the scattering angle and the surface of the target material. Wikipedia has a lbetter definition.

The wiki on Compton scattering is a bit funky in that it somehow assumes that this obviates light being packets of energy (does no such thing imo)

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Light and Heat.

I remember as a child, getting the garden ready for winter and asking dad how a greenhouse works. He had no technical explanation, so he did what dad always did: went to the library and brought home a book that we read together. This demonstrates that explanation that I read so long ago, reading it is one of those events I recall as a child, firing my imagination and showing me that reading can help to educate oneself. And providing further proof that I had a very wise father.

How a greenhouse changes light and heat, to heat up the interior of the greenhouse and enable plants to survive whilst outside temperatures would not allow them to live: –

http://tinyurl.com/y87mfd2c

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I nearly did forget the EmDrive Ed but I have now looked it up.

Err. I dont think so.

It looks very much like a single cavity version of a Klystron and they have been around for donkey’s years.

The device would also break Newtons laws on the conservation of momentum by efectivley giving you something for nothing

While I was looking this up though I found the Wiki entry for quantum vacum. Have a look at that and see what you think. I think there may be hope for a gravity drive yet !

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Look again – apparently NASA  and the Chinese have shown that it works and has now been patented!

link

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I look forward to the day when the Laws of Physics as we have been taught them, are found to no longer apply.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love