A Light on Dark Matter!

HOME Forums Other Stuff A Light on Dark Matter!

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Well at least 50% of so-called ‘Dark Matter’ isn’t mysterious fairy dust bound together by witching spells. The 50% that has just been identified is just the normal sort of energetic krap that forms the rest of the Universe. link

I’ll dance for joy when it is shown that the other 50% has a rational explanation such as non-energetic cosmic dust/asteroid clouds that does not require the invocation of more and more absurd kludges to fit the Dark Matter/Energy  fairy tale. Maybe some galaxies appear red-shifted because they are shining though a whole lot of red dust!

Spread the love
Viewing 7 replies - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 590

Hmmm

I followed your link Ed and had a good look at the stuff on there including some entertaining youtube video’s.

So the EmDrive has passed peer review and has indeed been granted a patent. Lots of people are now taking it seriously too.

But…

Much as I would love it to be a new discovery to the world physics I just can’t  believe it at the moment.

If they can build one that produces an amount of power that is beyond dispute then I will think again.

Can’t wait to be proved wrong 😊

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,729

Unfortunately Bob the EmDrive does not break any of the laws of Thermodynamics. Its real application is in space  EmDrive ‘just’ converts available solar energy directly to thrust without the need for any propellant to be carried.  Not really anti-gravity I’m afraid.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,804

Thanks Ed, I actually meant I look forward to a day when new discoveries make the laws of Physics have to be revised.

I had a look at the em drive and understand that its real use is in space, but I still believe that some form of light sail is the way to go. Perhaps initially accelerated by chemical means, then the sail opened. Once a large enough light sail begins to accelerate, it does not cease accelerating until mechanical intervention is made.

http://tinyurl.com/y8tx6koo

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,559

The Spore drive is the way to go bob. If your not watching the new Star trek series on Netflix that will be lost one you.

Another good syfy series currently on nf is ‘the expance’, turns into a great story, once it gets going. They don’t use the spore drive, but seem to get about quick.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,729

Seems I am not totally stupid in not understanding inertia.

The ‘American Scientist‘ has a fascinating article on the inertial guidance system that always points at the Great Gate of Kiev, with all the navigational ‘intelligence’ coming from a simple spinning axle.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 590

Will give this some thought

I’ll get back to you 😊

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,804

The questions that have gripped my imagination for many years, and never been answered by anything I have ever read, are:

*Can a physical object in space exist in Absolute Rest, relative to every other physical object in the Universe?

*Can a physical object in space exist in Absolute Motion, relative to every other physical object in the Universe?

*Is there a difference, within the observable Universe, between Absolute Rest and Absolute Motion?

Think about it: to an observer with an object in Absolute Rest, the Universe will appear to be constantly in motion. To an observer with an object in Absolute Motion, the same phenomenom will be apparent, complicated by Parallax View and Relative Motion.

It always makes my head ache… Passing it on.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Viewing 7 replies - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love