Forumite

A little bit miffed about Lara

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk A little bit miffed about Lara

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I’m not a big gamer. OK, I play Trackmania via wine, and some old stuff on retropie. I bought one game off steam (native Linux), but that’s about it.

Anyhoo, with the Proton announcement offering better compatibility and performance than bare wine, I started a hunt for a cost effective test (I was thinking something like Crysis, previously used for benchmarks), but then I remembered, there are new Tomb Raider games that apparently have kick ass graphics. So I went off to hunt for one that I could test. I came across Rise of the Tombraider.

Imagine my disappointment when it’s still £40 (for a two year old game). Imagine my further disappointment when I found it’s already been ported to Linux and will run natively.

It does look pretty awesome graphically.

I’m now kinda torn. Do I find something to test proton with, or do I shell out £40 for the native version of ROTT? Oh, and extra for a new controller (I only have the Steam controller connected to my main rig, and I hate it).

Decisions, decisions. Maybe sleep on it, and forget it before my next glass of whisky.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,786

Decided to go for the older Tomb Raider reboot from 2013, which is also native at £14.99. That’s like, 5 pints, over the course of a month, and I took Monday off (from beer), and had one less than normal tonight, so already paid for.

Although, I bought a bottle of single malt. Perhaps I should game more and drink less.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,914

Regarding controllers, the XBox 360 pC one is very good, I have a wired Mad Catz certified X Box 360 one and it’s great. Even better is the Nvidia Shield Controller, CeX have them. Get the 2017 one, much nicer than the original. The best controller I’ve used for  my sore hands.

Linux support I can’t comment on, apart from they both worked with Mint on a X220 with the latest version about 18 months ago.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 1,666

I’m dying to try this out as well. I see Dawn of War is on the list, so I’ll be downloading and installing that when I get a chance at a weekend – in like three weekends time when I’m not away!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,639

Personally I’m looking forward to Code Red’s new game Cyberpunk. If the pre-release game-play is anything to go by it will have real kick-butt graphics as well as a VERY gritty plot line.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,786

Huh – There are only 2, both in Camarthen. However, I can take the Steam controller back and get a voucher for at least £19. With voucher they sell for £22, so net cost, £3.

I see a trip to CeX after SpecSavers on Saturday.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!