A little Idea. Reviews!

HOME Forums Other Stuff A little Idea. Reviews!

This topic contains 29 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by RSB 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Coins: 470

I am thinking about adding a section to the site for reviews. So, for example I bought my new PC yesterday. So I could go to this said page and rate it and leave a few words of thought. I am sure it would be helpful for others and some reviews may get picked up on search and bring in the fresh blood 🙂

What do you think?

It will not be limited tech. It could be a service provided to you by some one or a bag of crisps.

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Coins: 176

I think it’s a good idea BUT those who are generally happy with a product / service / retailer will they use it?  I has to be prevented from becoming a site where any of the above are slagged off because of a single incident – too often we see here delivery drivers / companies being complained about – it has to be balanced and fair.

Occasionally something will go wrong and it is very unfair to pillory a company for a single problem when generally they are very good.

To err is human, but forgiveness is not Tory policy!

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

It is a base of an idea and as you say there is plenty to work out first. However I would of liked to have gone to a review by a regular yesterday and Friday to see if anyone had bought anything similar to what I wanted.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 769

The issue with normal folk like us doing reviews is we have little to measure our review on. So a great pc to me, may actually be crap in the grand scheme of things.

Dave would be in a good position for cctv stuff, but even then, the consumer stuff he would hate, may actually be good consumers stuff. But as he uses pro stuff, he’d think it crap.

Same with phones, for 90% plus of people the Moto G or even any E from 015 onwards is all most need, but again in the grand scheme, it’s not a great phone.

May be a section about products and experiences would be a better title, and it won’t confuse any newcomers into thinking we actually know what we’re talking about 🙄

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Coins: 410

I think it’s a great idea. It doesn’t have to be a detailed piece.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

I’ll have a think and see what can be put together. What ever happens I am aiming to have the whole site properly completed by new years day.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

P.S Now I have computer that is not running at a snails pace the above may be possible 🙂

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Coins: 441

I think it’s a great idea. It doesn’t have to be a detailed piece.

If you don’t mind, could you do some mini reviews on the kit you use for the charity etc.? Every man and his dog reviews the brand new shiny toys, but no one seems to review the stuff that your average person would use.

I’m about to price a new system for my father, so I’m being a bit selfish too 😁

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

No problem.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Coins: 693

Been away all day, just come back to this. Great idea! I always rely on personal recommendations where possible. Quite often a Forumite will say they are looking for a certain item or service and ask if others possess or have used that, requesting opinions.

I would trust the opinions of Forumites much more than the “Reviews” carried out by certain companies. Example: I bought a device last year and found it wanting in several ways. Tried to review the thing on the website, it vanished before my eyes as I typed it. Sold it eventually, explaining what I thought was wrong with it, but the buyer was quite happy with it and still is. My problem with it was that it was far too slow in operation, but the buyer is non-technical and older than me, loves it.

That’s where Tippon’s words come in: ” Every man and his dog reviews the brand new shiny toys, but no one seems to review the stuff that your average person would use.

I sold to an average, non-techie Senior in his late 70’s.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

I am working on it. I am just struggling with ideas or at least putting a plan together. I will say though it will and has to be separate to the forum. It can obviously be linked to if it comes up in conversation.

Some of my problems as follows:

1. Stop something being reviewed more than once.
    2. Should it have a star rating or similar.

I am open to ideas 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by RSB. Reason: Rubbish and poor grammar as usual

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    1. Why not? people can have differing views on the same thing. But I can see it would be useful to have that as a thread and not separate posts. I wouldn’t get too worried about it.
    2. May be a thumbs up or down? i.e. fit for purpose or pants. A J1800 soc motherboard could only realistically get 1 or 2 stars as a motherboard but a big thumbs up as fit for a cheap and cheerful email and social media PC.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Coins: 693

(typed and posted after Dave’s reply was posted)

Good idea to separate it from main Forum, Lee.

1 – is going to be difficult. Maybe ask that contributors must apply ‘Tags’ to a review, including product/service name. Then it can be back – linked in some way, maybe?

2 – Some sort of Rating, whether Stars or check marks, example:   – maybe 1 to 3 check marks , 3 being best. Put them at the top of the Review, gives an instant opinion.

Same for stars, maybe?       I always think, why 5 ratings? Product is either good, indifferent, or bad. 3 is plenty IMO.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Bob Williams.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    1. OK, well fair enough. I thought people including your self would have an issue with that so that’s sorted 🙂
    2. I think I will put an extra field in there to state what type of user you are. For example “I am builder and heavy user so it’s not for me but for minor office work it is fine.”

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Coins: 441

I would stick with five stars, as that’s now a standard. If someone sees that a product has three stars, they’ll automatically think that it’s average, rather than good.

No problem.

Thanks Dave 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Tippon.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I really wouldn’t worry too much about it. These things have a way of finding a life of their own whatever you do.

You can’t plan for everything, just let it run and tweak it later if necessary.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

True. Anyhow it should not be a long wait. Weekend no doubt.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Coins: 769

Written a big reply and the forum lost it before I posted!

So heroes again.

If we are reviewing pc’s I think we need to split the reward in to two, 1. How the pc performanes for the task it was bought for. And 2. We need to agree on a number of benchmark apps to test it so we have an idea where there gpu/cpu (and the combo) stack uk. Also a more real world test of say a sample video that we would need to say render on a free bit of software like blender.

I think this would give a good rounded view of the pc.

I’d like to see somthing similar for phones. I’m not that fussed on the high end, and luckily many here like to go the chi route, or moto route, and it would be nice to again, have a personal review, of how the device handles for their needs, and outline said needs. Them run a set benchmark suit and then over time we will see what the best poimd for pound phone is best, in each demograph.

With the pc’s today, benching the cpu /gpu is really important. Intel has far to many options, and non of the higher end ones (even high mid range) are not needed for the majority. Even gamers.

So it just take my 10 year old i7 and i5, both working find, so when I come to replace these, I won’t be saying what’s the best cpu out today, like we would of 10 years ago. The i7 920 was relatively high up in tells ranks back then.

Personally I don’t think it will ever die and will always run current stuff, it’s thst good. I have a suspension that when they launched the first gen core i cpus, and seen AMDs responce, intel stared sandbaging. The chip is somthing special.

Talking special the SL9400 was unbelievable, it’s was years ahead of the Atom, but must of cost a fortune to develope give the price of that cpu, iirc it added about £700 to my think pad x200t.

If you ever look at the old pi table, that cpu held the record for record for £/performance and that was without factoring in it sipped juice.

TDP 17w 6MB L2 cache, it was clocked slow at 1.86ghz but punched way above its weight in performance and battery life. Sold with 8h, somthing that was massive back in 2008. For comparison my then (and new), dell xps 1330 with a discreet gpu couldn’t get an hour of life. At the time, I have to do somthing and the X200t (t being tablet) fit my needs, however it was expensive, but luckily I got a good deal.

So yes, I’m, now all for some reviews, but sum structures need putting in place.

@d-dan would be the best person to mock us up a blender render scenario for us to follow. A quite simple one, so the lesser pc’s are not sat for 10 hours grinding away.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Coins: 137

Good idea, and I can probably knock a scene together that is lighter than the usual benchmark scenes, but still sufficient for a comparison.

And as lightweight systems go, I can use my ageing and underpowered laptop (which honestly takes forever to do anything) as a testbed to ensure that the 10 hours render is not an issue.

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree

Lets keep in mind that some one who wants to leave a review on a pc may not know how to do half the stuff you are asking and also lets keep in mind that I said anything from say a PC to a bag crisps. So coming up with benchmarks for things such as a bag of crisps and all it’s varieties could be difficult. 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.