Forumite

A3 Laser printer colour

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 2The Duke
    @sgb101

Does anyone know of any decent deals on an A3 colour Laser printer?

Reconditioned is fine. Really cheaper the better.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 3Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,517

I cannot directly help you, a few years back I bought my daughter one from Argos of all places. They had an excellent deal at the time. Otherwise, a Google search, perhaps even Freecycle hunt might turn up something. Sometimes the ink and toner vendors have offers that might be worth a glance.

Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 4Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,549

Dave had something going with a  Brother CLP a few years ago. It enticed me to buy one – nice bit of kit.

Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 5Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,572

Don’t look at the headline price for the printer, it’s the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) that counts. The last printers I’ve bought came with fully loaded cartridges, not the “starter” ones. It makes one hell of a difference even in the first year of ownership. Your first set of carts could cost more than the printer.

Dell especially suck people in with cheap start up then bloody expensive ownership. HP Inkjets are definitely worth considering too. Quality these days is right up there and HP Instant Ink, whilst it’s a subscription service, is a very good deal with no tie ins and good flexibility – all managed through the cloud with the printer feeding stats back automatically.

Give me a day or two and I’ll have a look, but some idea of how many pages / month will help immensely.

Participant
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,384

Cheers everyone, I sort of dismissed inkjet cos of my past lack of usage issues, but this one will be used more often. So I would go injet if it makes sense.

Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 4Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,549

Is colour important? A simple B/W (very cheap) laser printer may do for 95% of your high volume requirements and then use a print shop for the rest.

Participant
    @sgb101

Yes colour is now important. It’s maimly for poster printing.

I ditched my colour a4 printer for a b/w laser a4 one a few years ago.

Participant
    @ricedg

Have a look at the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 A3 Colour Inkjet, I know someone who has the A4 equivalent and is very happy with it. It’s currently £128, which seems very reasonable, but there’s £60 cash back and a 3 year warranty. Printing costs with the XL cartridges is reasonable too.

Lasers you’re looking at £650 after £150 cashback and 50% higher running costs for a Xerox monster. To get running costs down to inkjet levels you’re talking £1200+

Participant
    @sgb101

Thanks Dave. I’ll look into that HP above.

Well last night one of the guys in the pub said they had a epson wf 7715, that he had no use for. He said he would drop it off in the week!

I won’t hold my breath, even if it does turn up it probably won’t work. I’ll give it a few days then look up the HP.

I have no idea about The Epson one, I’ve not even looked into it’s details or reviews. I forgot about the convo until an hour ago when my wife metioned printers. It’s her who wants it. I’d be happy using the printers shop for our print outs.

Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 11Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,322

This is the Epson new Steve: –

http://tinyurl.com/ry5jved

This is cartridge prices (genuine)

http://tinyurl.com/w45f36d

Compatibles:

http://tinyurl.com/tyjm3pb

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @sgb101

If it turns up and is usable, I won’t be buying gen inks for it. Sheesh!

Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 11Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,322

Didn’t think so, that’s why I included compatibles. Give me a break!😊

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 14Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,882

To get running costs down to inkjet levels you’re talking £1200+

Is that the same for compatible inks or toners? I’m looking for an all in one if I can’t get my curent Epson inkjet working ( hasn’t been used to print for years so has dried up), and some of the lasers look tempting.

Participant
    @ricedg

Compatible toner cartridge prices seem to be all over the place. I think that may be down to whether the cartridge is a simple toner receptacle or more complex. You have to remember that there are other consumables besides toner, like fuser units and transfer rollers. These can be eye wateringly expensive but have a long life (I doubt I’ll ever have to buy a transfer unit @ 130,000 pages).

Things are a lot more reasonable in the A4 world. My Brother HL L8260cdw with compatibles is down at ink jet cost levels. It’s a nice printer and is currently £177 with either £100 cashback or 3 year warranty.

Participant
    A3 Laser printer colour 14Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,882

Compatible toner cartridge prices seem to be all over the place.

Funnily enough, I just found that out. Someone’s just advertised on Facebook a free office printer, one of those huge ones that does everything. I thought I’d have a look to see if it was worth having, and the toners are about £100 each. The compatible toners were £130+ for the same size.

I think it’s the roller that’s gone in my Samsung laser, but I haven’t got the energy to try to fix a printer these days. I tried swapping the toner and giving everything a clean, but it’s still knackered. I might give it another go before it goes to the tip next week, but I’ve got a feeling that I’ll be spending money >.< :D

Participant
    @sgb101

The printer did turn up. Not set it up and tried it yet. It also has a full set of spare inks. So fingures crossed.

Need some posters printing so it will be tried out tomorrow.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.