Forumite

A4 to A3 working in Libre Office Draw.

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk A4 to A3 working in Libre Office Draw.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

I have recently drawn some plans using draw with a 1:50 scale, working in A4. I now have a very good A3  HP 7500A  office jet PSC, and I need to redraw some of these with larger area and want to be able to get the larger area drawing again at 1:50, and to print out in true 1:50 size on the printer.

Since DRAW can be enlarged many times, it would seem that I should work at 1:100, then print to fit A3 thereby giving me an A3 sized 1:50 output.

Is it that easy? The “page size” of draw seems to be fixed (at a notional A4 I suppose) but if I could tell it it was A3, then I could just work at 1:50 and print directly ion A3.

I don’t want to spend hours overthinking this, AND get it wrong, maybe somebody can put me on a simple “correct” path.

Les

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Les.. Reason: sp + improvement of meaning
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,939

A4 page at (21 x 29.7) cm is 623.7 square cm in area.

A3 page is (29.7 x 42) cm is 1247.4 sq. cm in area. That is exactly twice the area of an A3 page, but remember Les that is with both A4 and A3 in Portrait mode. I cannot see a reason why a ratio of 1:50 would not work, or rather a ratio of 1:2 (A3:A4) as long as both pages were worked and printed in either Landscape or Portrait, together.

Could anyone else point to an error in that concept?

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,298

I can’t see why that wouldn’t work as you’ll basically be doubling the length of a given line.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,714

On the face of it, the method I thought of is unlikely to work.

I only need to deal with two A3 docs, and I have scans of the previous originals. You have to purchase from planning office, and they are not cheap (captive market).

Anyway, today  I scanned them. The 7500A give a little animation, showing you how to scan half of it, then you remove it, rotate through two 90 degrees (turn it around) and scan the second half. It then joins then up for jou, and loads the resultant on to your  SD card. I then printed out the .jpeg file to check, and got an A3 facsimile. Good.

I then opened it in Libre office, and stuck white lines and rectangles in all the right places, “grouped it” and tried to print it out. I could get an A4 size in the middle of the A3 sheet only.

More digging and through the main edit, I was able to tell it it had A3 paper. Now all settings looked OK, but when I told it to print, I found I had two blank sheets, with the little display telling me “Wrong size paper”, with print being cancelled!

It looks as if it will print a doc the WAS save as A3, but wont allow printing in a different size. I exported as a PDF, but got the same result.

Other suggestions?  Les.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,208

I honestly do not understand the issues. Every veSetting up Printer Option in LibreCadctor drawing program I have used gives a printer dialog that enables you to do it all automagically. It is only when you are dealing with bitmaps that scaling becomes cumbersome.

Setting up Printer Option in LibreCad — I assumed that is similar to the Draw program you are using, but it seems that LibreOffice is more klunky and you need to do some scaling.

link

Reading through your follow-up you probably need to IMPORt the scanned bitmap into the vector drawing application.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Not sure why my final edit corrupted earlier stuff: But here goes

I honestly did not understand the issues. Every drawing program I have used gives a printer dialog that enables you to do it all automagically. It is only when you are dealing with bitmaps that scaling becomes cumbersome.

I looked at setting up the Printer Option in LibreCad — I assumed that it was similar to the Draw program you are using, but it seems that LibreOffice is far more klunky and you need to do setup some scaling for the image first.

link

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

Edp, maybe I can clarify things. First I scanned the A3 original in two halves, which the printer itself stitches together.

I then printed out that file, which was perfect in A3.

I then opened the file in Draw, did my “rubbing out” and tried to print. In the print dialogue, it is fixed at A4 and greyed out. That prints an A4 in the centre of an A3 page.

However under Edit —  Printer settings, I can select A3. When I try to print, under settings it still shows A4 and is greyed out. Clicking Print,  the printer says “wrong paper size” and aborts the print.

I think the answer will lie somewhere in Libre settings, but so far I can not find anything.

I don’t have LibreCad, so can not comment, but will look at your links.

Thanks, Les.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

You need to set the page size (scaling)  to A3 for each of your ‘halves’, save the A3 versions, then stitch them together as an A3 print.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,576

Is it Corel draw you are using ? If so what version.

If

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Oh no corse its not. Should have read the heading 😁

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

I think you have to start a new project with the page size you want and then copy your existing image into it. The above link shows how to set the page size. This will give you more canvas to draw extra stuff on 😁

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

I think I have been lead astray a little. I think there was a problem with page size selection on the printer itself, I changed to A4, put A4 paper in and did a simple print of existing document. Worked OK. I then replaced the A3 paper and reset to A3 and was able to print again. (I spent half the morning chasing this, though not 100% certain).

When you want to scan an A3 document, you select scan, file type (jpg, pdf or why?) then where you want the finished file saving (SD card). next a little animation leads you by the nose, for first half, then another animation tells you to rotate thro 180 degrees. Then you scan 2nd half, and the PRINTER stitches them together to create one file which it writes to the SD card. I take that to PC, and can then Print copies.

If I open the scan in Libre Office draw, SO FAR, I can not get any print other than A4 (I need to recheck if the “wrong paper” comes up, or if it was a printer problem).

If I convert to a pdf, I can open that with evince, and specify A3. The print out has an A4 sized print in the centre of the A3 paper

I will study WOFs link later to see what that offers.

Meanwhile, I have kludged the problem. These are two site and site location plans, bearing details of previous application, and various planning office marks. I took my ORIGINALS, attacked them with snopake to delete unwanted stuff and make minor amendments. Then I rescanned them both, afterwards printing the required four copies of each.

So, a bodge solution, but I still hope for a proper answer.

Yesterday, I even fired up the Windoze laptop, hoping the HP windoze software would provide answers. I assumed the “two scans and join” would be handled by that, but it seems the printer doing it for you is the only route.

Good for now, but hopefully I can spend more time once this lot is back with the planners, maybe tomorrow PM.

I will report back  if I succeed.

Thanks all, Les.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I cannot comment on Draw, but changing paper (canvas) size in the manner shown by Wheels, specifically  for Draw, is common practice. The paper size sets the size of the ‘canvas’ used by the drawing program and the printer, and everything scales accordingly. Without the correct size ‘canvas’ Draw does not even know how to properly scale pen widths! in this case the external software has to fix it, but it is a big ‘Ask’ for printer software when it has the wrong parameters fed to it.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

Time to wrap this up. Yes, I followed WoF’s link from up above, and it worked.

Never had the “wrong page selected” message again, so I WILL blame it on something amiss with the paper detection that seems OK now.

Cheers all.

Les.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link