Forumite

Account card readers.

HOME Forums Finance and Money Banking Account card readers.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

This falls into the realm of “Taking it apart to see what’s in it.” Something that I have always done, with the added attraction that I do not have to reassemble it. As my missus says and most women know, we blokes never really grow up.

I’m talking about the two bank account card readers that we had with our previous bank. We used to slide our cards into the thing and it would give us most of the information we needed about the state of the account. Of course, this has now been superseded and improved, by mobile banking, which I find to be extremely useful. We left the bank concerned 3 years ago and no longer have any ties with it, financial or otherwise. I found the card readers and immediately thought of what their innards were like. So I stripped them and here, for those who ever wondered what they were like, is the exploded version.

“Why?” says SWMBO.  “Because it’s there!” says I.

Two CRO 232 “Coin” batteries were flat. Second pic shows the PCB. The teeny tiny screws are now in my screw collection: can’t have too many different screws in the device repair & maintenance box! Just two small precision screwdrivers were needed.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Blocked
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 2,901

Have to agree with you regarding screws, Bob.   Before anything ever get thrown away (especially old PC’s) I scavenge all screws from it (and stand-off’s in the case of PC’s).      Nothing annoys me more than finding I’m one screw short on a project.

Having said that my better half always says the Almighty was one screw short when he put me together………LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,508

That rings a bell VFM! Last month my missus gave me a new one she had heard: “Your lift does not go to the top floor!”

I told her, you are confused my dear, we live in a bungalow. Then I quickly left the room, always nice to have the last word, can’t often do that. As for screws, well this is my bits box, or one of them. There are even some prehistoric Compaq screws in there, from before HP bought them. I am a magpie.

Whoever inherits this will be confused!

I'm out.

Blocked
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 2,901

My other half always says women are better at multi-tasking than men.     I;ve been looking for a good reply, found one and now I’m now ready for her the next time she does.    I’ll simply tell her to – sit down and shut-up.   I’ll bet she doesn’t manage to do both…….😀

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,016

I just have a tub I tip left over screws and bolts into. I always use the motherboard box to pass on any manuals / documentation / warranty cards and I used to put the left overs in there saying “keep this safe, it’ll be useful if we need to do any work at a later date”.

They always lose the box and never do the warranty stuff so I just register everything in their name now with a new email account, which I also set up in whatever email client is on the new device. Even though I tell them all about it and may even show them, I usually get a phone call about strange emails appearing <sigh>.

In the case of laptops, HP and Lenovo will offer you very good extended warranty terms and prompt you to deal with emergency patches and BIOS updates. Just had one from Lenovo myself about some Intel exploit they’ve fixed.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,508

My other half always says women are better at multi-tasking than men. I’ve been looking for a good reply, found one and now I’m now ready for her the next time she does. I’ll simply tell her to – sit down and shut-up. I’ll bet she doesn’t manage to do both…….😀

I would fear for the integrity of my dangly bits if I told my missus that!  It gave me a good laugh though and today I need it, don’t feel too good, one of my bad days.

Dave I have a huge, long plastic box with motherboard, graphics card and other boxes in it, it lies under the spare room bed. Somehow I became custodian of boxes for other family members, until I toured their homes and returned them. If I am taking devices apart, carrying out maintenance or DIY, I have a selection of “Sutherlands” meat and fish paste jars that I can drop the bits into and screw on the lid until I need them. those little jars are very useful and I keep loose bits such as hex drive and screwdriver bits in them, in the toolbox.

I'm out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Due to the Corona Virus some changes have been made to Forumite. These include free membership and a dedicated area for the Corona Virus.
PLEASE READ 
Close