Adding another 8gb Ram, should I add – 2 x 4gb, or 1 x 8gb

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Adding another 8gb Ram, should I add – 2 x 4gb, or 1 x 8gb

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

rockonbazza
    Participant
    @rockonbazza

Hi. I currently have 2 x 4gb sticks of DDR3 1600MHZ ram (9 9 9 24 timings) in dual channel slots on my mobo – slots 1 and 3. I want to upgrade to 16gb. Can I add a stick of 8gb of similar type of ram (1600mhz 9 9 9 24) in slot 2, or is it best to put 4gb in each of the  slots 2 and 4? Thanks

Spread the love
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,307

Unless you need to squeeze every single bit of performance from your rig, go for the cheapest option.

If you do need every tiny bit of extra performance, stick with the 2*4 GB in slots 2 and 4.

I really doubt you’ll notice the difference unless benchmarking or super intensive gaming. Or willy waving.

Tweaking the RAM timing will probably gain you more performance than sticking with dual channel, unless that’s cheaper, if so it’s a win win situation.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,326

First question, do you really need 16GB? Once you’re past 8Gb the gains are minimal unless you have a specific need.

As Nolan says, whatever works will be as good as anything else. If you have an Asus mobo pay particular attention to the manual as to what goes where as I find they can be picky.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,121

Save your money and put it towards a better gpu. While 8Gb is the new minimum, 16Gb is overkill. If you are into gaming and you must buy RAM then a lower CAS is better, If you have surplus memory look at using it as a ram disk.

That said the GPU is today’s workhorse, and a better GPU/more GPU ram beats mobo memory every time.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love