Forumite

After just 17 days –

HOME Forums Home and DIY Plumbing After just 17 days –

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    After just 17 days – 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

– in our new home, a plumbing emergency!

Today my Gert noticed a leak under the sink, in the complex plastic pipework from the double sink drainers. When I examined it, this is what I found:

The main sink drain was leaking from the point where it should be secured to the bottom of the drain.

One fitting below that was cross-threaded, another was left insecure. There was more than one leak. I stripped the complicated sink attachment and was greeted by pipes blocked with foul gunge: obviously the former tenants had dumped loads of food remnants down the pipework and either they or (I hope not) the landlord’s plumber, had carried out “repair work” to make it unfit for purpose, without clearing the pipes.

The seals and silicon retaining the main drain is 100% kaput. We had to phone the emergency response and leave a message, but look like being without a kitchen sink for the holiday weekend. I have emailed the Agent and you can bet that I have expressed my extreme displeasure. I will do so again if I do not receive a timely response, suggesting that I call a plumber myself and send them the bill for the landlord to pay.

I am not a happy Easter Bunny!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    After just 17 days – 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,327

Our once new house turned out to be a contractors Friday afternoon job in electrics and plumbing. Nowhere near as bad as yours but after 19 years I think we’ve finally replaced them all with what should have been there in the first place. The water meter was a particularly nasty installation which we couldn’t do anything about until we had the kitchen replaced and the room stripped to a shell. The old wiring got dumped too, the electrician was amazed it had held up so long and there were plenty of blackened terminals about. :negative:

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,986

There is a lot of shoddy build and workmanship about. My gson told me that when on electrician work experience, he was working in a big new estate near Grimsby. He could not believe the number of times he was told the equivalent of “It’ll be fine, leave it like that.” That attitude gets passed on of course.

Managed to get a fast response from the Agent and plumber is informed, probably will not come over the weekend. I have sealed off the main sink and fortunately there is a separate drain to the smaller sink. Same plumber was going to be employed to fit a new shower riser bar. I just found a receipt that shows the Agent’s office was paid for that job. I will show it to the plumber and ask if he can do that. It will be interesting to know if HE was paid for it…

Agent says “not an emergency.” Fine, says I – how would you like to be without a kitchen sink for a few days?

I'm out.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Plumber has been today and made a great job of fitting new piping and strainers in the dual sinks, says one strainer was missing. He agrees with me that it is all due to past tenant treating the sink as a garbage disposal facility, blocking the pipes with food waste over time. I said that I had cleaned out most  of the gunk, but he just winked, fetched new piping and fitments, fitted all new. He also agreed that the last tenant must have taken it apart and refitted it incorrectly, hence the cross-threaded and insecure fittings. We had to go into another room while he worked of course, but having seen his work I cannot imagine him making those mistakes.

Then he fitted us a new riser bar on the shower, something that we paid for at sign up. He was annoyed to see the invoice for that from the Agent, as he had not been informed about it. So he went back to the factors and got the kit, fitted it. Whole of both jobs very well done and completed inside 3 hours, including two trips to the factors.

Now we can wash pots at the sink again. :yahoo:

That is, I will…

I'm out.

Participant
    After just 17 days – 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,327

Nice to know there’s still some decent tradesmen about.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Yes I would recommend the bloke.

I'm out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.