Forumite General Topics Home and DIY Garden Aggregate v Tarmac

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    johnbarry
    Participant
      @johnbarry

There was a water leak ourtside my property (on my drive), the waterboard (contractor) fixed it. They then filled the hole with tarmac.

The original (they dug out) was MOT Type1 subase. I was told the tarmac was temp and someone from the waterboard would dig it out and replace with the original.

I heard nothing and contacted the waterboard, in the contact I said it was MOT Type 2, after I sent it, I recalled it was MOT Type1

My drive is now 85% MOT and 15% Tarmac to act as a base for slabs.

When I get round to having slabs laid the MOT will need some surface removed.

1) What’s the difference with MOT Type 1 & 2 will it matter that I said type2 and not type1.

2) Does tarmac provide as an aggregate and is it as good as MOT  Type1/2

3) Will the Tarmac surface be removable.

Cheers
      John

Richard
      Participant
        @sawboman

You should be able to check the specifications for those materials and the processes for back filling and consolidation. If there was a substantial leak I would be more worried about the subsoil being disturbed and any back fill taking time to settle and become firm enough not to suffer further shifts causing dips and bumps. Shoving a bit of tarmac in, feels like a cheap and not properly standards specified job. Tarmac can be firmed down with the right treatment, it is ‘sticky stones’, but I doubt it comes anywhere near to the specifications for type 1 or type 2. I do not want to give you the wrong specifications for them, but a read round the subject should help. I did understand that a temporary back fill was often applied to jobs to allow for ground ‘normalisation’ after earth works, before a permanent solution was substituted. There are some rules (designed to protect the guilty) about post work settlement, so if you are worried now is the time to chase the issues.

johnbarry
        Participant
          @johnbarry

Thanks Richard

From what you say tarmac is not a good substitute, the MOT was applied in stages to allow for dips and top ups. It was December 23rd by the time the leak was fixed. I was told the tarmac was temp as they were busy and nearly xmas.

The waterboard came round this morning and took photo’s of the tarmac filled hole?

Cheers
          John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
        Forumite