Forumite

Alcatel 3v

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Alcatel 3v

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by PlaneMan 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

TCBarrett
    Participant
    @tcbarrett

https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/alcatel-3v-review

Any good as a phone? Trying to keep as vanilla android as possible to allow for a few years of updates (so probably avoiding Moto).

Budget could extend to £200, but £100 would be ideal.

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,850

Moto are as near vanilla as you can get. The TechRadar review of the Alcatel says it has “an ugly Android overlay that combines with the case to make the whole thing a bit Fisher Price”. However I’m no fan of the cheaper Motos either.

I really believe you get a way better phone by upping the budget a bit into the bracket you mention. I’ve had a G4 for a couple of years now and feel no desperate need to change it. The Mrs just got a G5 for £135 from Amazon and loves it. The G6 is probably a bit more than I want to pay but I’ll definitely be looking at the G6 Play when the time comes. My 19 yo daughter has a £165 Sony Xperia XA1 which she loves and the 23mp camera takes some good photos.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 5,727

I’d be inclined to steer clear of that one, pushing that screen res with that cpu and amount of RAM could get unpleasant quickly. If it was just a hd screen that would be a different matter.

Just on sheer value it looks good for a youngster or a first smart phone but I’d still go for something else. I’ll look later.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,240

I’d go moto every time. It’s what I buy my kids. and The older ones have continued to buy (except The eldest where only apple will do!). I’ve been very pleased with them it was only The 2 and 3 moto Gs that I think went astray. The 1,4and 5 have been great.

Even the Moto Es are very good, (not looked at the last couple of genes mind), but I’ve recommended a couple to a few older peeps that wanted a cheap smart phone, for FB to speak to grandkids. And they have been fine. I also bought the wife a Moto E (second gen iirc had 4g) as a punishment for loosing her sgs5.

Instead of hating it, she finally realised what I’ve been saying for years about stock over touch wiz.

Not that either of us are running stock arm. We are on EMUI which looks horrid, so changed it with Nova and pixel icons. And I’m really loving the alot of the extras they have bolted on top of stock in the menus. Alot of fine controls over alot of aspects of the phone. Being away, they have come in very handy. Reminds me a bit of Cyanogen which I loved.

But get the moto g, save a few bob and get the five if you can’t stretch to a 6. The 5 is good, and the camera is very good for the price. As was the 4 tbh.

If you want to go mad, get a P20 Pro. Or a pixel 2. Or 4 moto g5’s.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

The tech sites have gone off Moto due to Lenova’s carp update policy. WileyFox are good at updates(recently updated mine to Oreo) and Nokia has a published update policy. One Plus is also good.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

I agree that what ever the update policy of Moto their speed of updates is awful. I bought my Moto G4 Play in February 2017, expecting to get the nougat update to 7.1.1 sometime in 2017. About two weeks ago I finally moaned to Moto ‘support’ about the lack of an update and suspecting that perhaps it was the terrible EE signal strength that was affecting things tried a Tesco SIM for a while. Still no joy, then on Sunday last with terrible timing 7.1.1 finally arrived. I doubt that it will make a huge difference to how much I put on the dog, but have to say the 7.1.1 appears to offer some advantages in screen clarity and a very slight improvement in speed of operation, even the EE signal appears slightly improved. So its is still one OS update behind the curve with security updates that hark back to April, but at least this year not last. At least it does not have too much cruft from unwanted unused rubbish. While you can disable so of the muck to clear screens, it still annoys the hell out of me that junkware hangs about to flourish back to life on many phones.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I have no issues with motos updates. There security patches are quicker than Samsungs, and who cares about main os upgrades when your paying sub £200? Christ  your lucky if samsung get you an os upgrade within a year of it’d release, on phone worth about a grand.

All about expectations. For under 200£ something has to give. Given the os it comes with works, and the phone will be dead in 2 years. I stopped caring about os updates. Also P is nothing special, so you won’t be missing anything that O hasn’t got. Nothing useful anyway.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 3,792

The security settings are what’s important – that’s what ticked me off with Sony ( and EE ) – I’m still on 6.01, although that doesn’t matter too much, but I’m still on the May 2016 security patch, and that does!!

Still looking to upgrade some time soon and the Moto G5 is still favourite atm.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Yes JC, thr moto is on par with the best, at about 3 months behind, not great but that’s about the best you’re going to get, outside of ponying up for a pixel device, which get the security patches first, so in July, you get July’s patch. My Nexus 6p and pixel 1, (so 3 and 2 year old phones, still get thr monthly patches) I don’t think thr nexus will get O, it wasn’t on the beta list, the pixel is. I just rolled it back to P, before I left for hols, as it’s my back up phone incase something happens to my P20p. Which gets it’d security patches about 3 months late.

So if that is you’re main concern, and it should be, you need whatever the latest Google phone is. The pixel 3 is just around the corner, so a pixel 1 or 2,may be a good referb buy, but I can’t see either being in the sub 200 bracket, and then there would be it’s limited warranty..

Im happy with the 3 month mark tbh, it’s better than what we had just a few years ago. Google are really putting thier foot on the oems throats to get the security patches out in some form of short order.

But as I said, if im getting a 200 phone, a full os update is a bonus to me, and not expected. As tbh, all the os versions from the last 3 years are good enough.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,284

WileyFox are good at updates(recently updated mine to Oreo)

Does not help either myself or my missus, Ed. I have the original Swift and SWMBO has the original Spark. No chance of upgrades for either phone. When either/both phones need replacing, we will not be choosing a Wileyfox.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101

Do you still get the security patches bob? I hope so as I recommended WF to you in the beginning. Though you must of been happy to begin with, as yoy got a second. And neither of us seen the cm ship sinking.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,284

Yes I still get security patches Steve. Actually I have been very pleased with the WF Swift, as a first smartphone it has been good and I have learned a lot about Google services using it. Our Gert likes her Spark and has only small requirements from it: does not use data, just mainly texts and calls, with photos. We share our Google Photos accounts.

The only concern I have about WF, even after they merged with another company in March and have started up again, is that I wonder if it will crash and burn again.

My 11 yo gdaughter has the latest Swift 2x and loves it, we bought it for her last Chrimbo present. Now she also has a laptop, an 8″ tablet and a gaming desktop (13th birthday) built by her IT engineer big bro, she is in Device Heaven.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101

I look at like this. I buy it cos it works, as long as they don’t cripple it, it has functioned as I expected. Any updates to the os are a bonus. As long as security patches work.

Now if I paid 700 quid, I’d want os updates at leat untill the 2 year mark. It’s about managing expectations. WF and moto do this well. The tech press may pan them for not updating the os, but we are talking about “cheap” devices, not iPhones or galaxies, so I don’t see the issue the tech press has.

If it works form day one as you expected and continues to, we can’t complain.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

That is fair enough and I cannot argue with the logic, but when updates are offered as becoming available before you buy the darned thing it is over promising and under delivering when the updates come along very, very late to the party. I do accept that at £115 my Moto 4G Play phone was a cheap buy, with a possibly limited life of value, though a Nokia for about the same price point lasted closer to ten years. That probably ‘sort of’ set an expectation point in my life, though its need for OS updates was very limited, it just did everything I then needed. Perhaps my expectations moved too far for my own good?

If I paid north of £300 for a phone, I think I would expect a straight jacket and a big yellow van thing with blue lights…?

TCBarrett
    Participant
    @tcbarrett
    Forumite Points: 272

Hmm.. maybe I shouldn’t be so negative about Moto 🙂

Had a look for the 1+3 to see how much it was, but couldn’t find it new anywhere?

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

The Duke
    @sgb101

The 1+3 is an old phone now, I think they are up to 1+6, maybe 5 and 6 is about to drop. So you’re not going to find a 3 new. I think one plus usally sell their current model ad their flag ship, and the previous phone as thier ‘budget’ option, so you’ll be looking at a 4 or maybe 5.

Loved my 1+1, kept mine with cm os, instead of oxygen, after they had thier falling out. But I heard oxygen os is very good. They basically went to stock and ‘borrowed’ a few of cm tricks.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 5,727

Current one+ is the 6 with rumours about the 6t. I love my top spec 5t,still daftly powerful.

Ogygen is a very nice user experience , just bog standard Android with a few tweaks

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!