Forumite

All Wireless now.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Thanks to Dave’s recommendation, I fitted the TP-Link Archer T4E:     https://tinyurl.com/yx5cvnhl

and removed Ethernet from the desktop, despite my long belief that Ethernet was best. Usual speedtests give a ping of 16Ms, download of 67 Mbps+, upload of 18Mbps+,  but I was not expecting the result I got, as I am still on the Plusnet Hub which is two rooms, a hallway and two doors from the desktop. Well, there is no difference in signal strength or download speed. I am therefore well chuffed and it bodes well for the move to the new home in Louth.

The 4E is Dual band but the router I was going to use, a TP-Link WD-9980, is ‘N’ only. However, the Plusnet Hub is, surprisingly, Dual Band. So I may setup with that at the new place, can anyone see a problem with that? Bearing in mind there will be two smartphones, two tablets, a laptop and my venerable desktop, all using bandwidth of one flavour or another. I might even try to sneak some bandwidth from No.1 gson’s latest router, one floor above. He gave his PW to me some time ago so that I could use my phone at his.

All advice accepted with thanks.

SWMBO has objected to my packing today. We discussed this for ten minutes, before deciding that I am correct. I don’t think my tea will be substantial tonight.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

Bob, I put in the WiFi at the British Legion and on an average weekend it will deal with 80 connections per day. It’s a 300N unit.

You will have plenty of wireless bandwidth to do what you want. The main thing that differentiates the sort of AP I put in a commercial premises and your average ISP box isn’t bandwidth, it’s their ability to deal with multiple concurrent connections. Antenna design is usually better as well but as you’ve seen in your average house it’s not an issue.

I moved over to AC purely because I shovel loads of big files about and quite like working from my armchair 😉 If you ever needed that much bandwidth I would always do it with an AP rather than change the router. TP-Link are doing some real SWMBO friendly ones now – the Deco range.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Thanks Dave, I’ll bear those in mind. Anything after that will depend upon N0. 1 gson, who has said he will take a look at the setup at the first weekend in the new place. Being one apartment above us will have big benefits! Not only for any such help, but also because he is very quiet at home and so are the neighbours.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.