Forumite

Alphabetising

HOME Forums TV, Film and Music Music Alphabetising

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

My Vinyl collection rebuild has reached the stage where I have to alphabetise it. Does Led zeppelin go under “L” or “Z”?

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by D-Dan.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 11,936

L for Loud, Dan. Or FL for – no, probably not!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 5,963

Strictly speaking it should be Z.

Does it matter? No, as long as you use the same rules when sorting it out.

Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 2,227

@Bob,

Often forgotten as being probably the LOUDEST band ever live is Slade.    Equally forgotten is that they had 6 (yes, six) Number 1’s and 16 top ten hits.    On stage it TRULY was a case of ‘CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE’.    Your ears felt they were physically being hit with multiple jackhammers.     I was genuinely close to deaf for hours after.   Seeing them live once was enough…………❗

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 2,449

Slade were also the biggest selling band in the UK in all of the 70s

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,336

I always liked Slade as a kid. But I do not have any in my collection. Contrary as a Kid, I did not like The sweet. But they are in my music collection. I think musically The Sweet was a better band.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,140

I think Lead Zeppelin should go under L because the whole thing is their name. Its not first name Lead, sir name Zeppelin 😀

I well remember Slade as a child and I was waiting for their next big hit. I saw an interview where they said they were off to America for a few months to promote their old stuff but they would be back with some new stuff soon. Never heard from them again, except at Christmas of course.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 7,570

Never saw them live, I was at Reading 80 when they did their comeback but was too cool to go 😉

I was going to see them just before Christmas but illness stopped that, and I was also going to see The Sweet in Frome but work stopped that.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Loudest recorded noise until Metallica came along was a Who album, can’t remember which one. In the early 80’s there was a competition sponsored by WH Smith, Memorex cassette tape and local Radio stations. I entered via Radio Trent from Nottingham, filled in the form, answered all the 10 questions, tried to think of a slogan encompassing all 3 sponsors. Went to Nottingham Palais and a couple of clubs with the lads in a minibus, got home at daft o’clock absolutely hammered. Picked up the form, wrote something down, posted it next day. I won with the slogan and the Who answer. Invited to Radio Trent and was asked live on air about the slogan. Stupid Honest Bob said “Can’t remember, I was legless when I wrote it.” Live, on air.

Sudden silence, with the Memorex rep making chopping motions to the Trent interviewer, WHS guy had his head in his hands. Interviewer p***ing himself. I won £1,500 in WHS vouchers. After a long story and some fast till work by the local Mansfield WHS manager, I put it all into a holiday in BC Canada for two. Motel vouchers, hire car, had a great time.

But now it’s Metallica the loudest recorded noise:

http://tinyurl.com/snef7bc

Although some of the Stones, Quo and John Fogerty concerts I attended, were bloody painful to the lugs.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,336

I have my decibel meter running when I play music. I always make sure it is below 140 cos’ that would kill me. 🙂

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,458

The loudest band I ever heard was Argent on 5th December 1974 at Cheltenham Town Hall on their “Quadrophonic Tour”.

It was indescribable – at times you got just white noise in quadrophonic sound – as they hadn’t got the amps set up properly.

Your eardrums quivered ! Even outside the building.

Tour

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 2,227

There was an ABBA tribute band playing is a local pub recently.   That was pretty loud along the High Street.    You could hear the drums from Nando’s.

I’ll get my coat.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

One day last summer my Gert and I went to Skeg for a 60’s show. Of course loud noise at those venues is necessary to allow oldphart ears to actually hear the music! But before that concert, we had a meal in town and walked back past a local pub with live music. There was an Elvis impersonator crucifying some of the King’s music, live on an outside stage. Across the road was a cafe with a few middle aged bikers. Two of the biggest old bikers walked across when the ‘singer’ asked for requests; “Stop performing!”   –   “Why should I?”   —   “Because you don’t look like him, you don’t sound like him, you can’t bloody sing and you are annoying me and my mates. Added to which your audience is leaving, which means the pub is losing money! Now P*** off before I get really annoyed!”

The Impersonator left the building.

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.