Forumite

And the repetition begins

HOME Forums TV, Film and Music TV, Film & Music And the repetition begins

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

As I’ve mentioned previously, I’m rebuilding my vinyl collection, having started from scratch after losing all of mine for reasons 10 years behind me.

Led Zeppelin have featured prominently in the rebuild, moving through Led Zeppelin (cute fact, this was recorded by the New Yardbirds and released by Led Zeppelin – They changed their name after recording but before release).

Followed up By Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III and, tonight, Led Zeppelin IV (I don’t mean they recorded it tonight, I mean that’s when I bought it). I, II and III were all original, but IV is disappointing in as much as they re-released some of the prior on it.

Wish I’d got Physical Graffiti, now.

EDIT: Or the Iron Maiden album I was looking at. I guess this means I’m gonna get the Maiden album tomorrow.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by D-Dan.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by D-Dan.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 2,584

Hmmm. Does this mean geeks are rockers, or rockers are geeks?

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,471

Gockers? Reeks? Here are four more almost relevant opinions:

They do look well for a combined age of > 1,000 though! Think Charlie has been embalmed…

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Bob Williams.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 14,758

Bob, I think you just made them four times as old as they are! I hope you are wrong as the wife and I went to one of their very early gigs in the LSE student union.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Joke, Ed! This year Mick & Keith are 75, Charlie 78, Ronnie Wood 71. Combined ages 299.

Take another look at them though, it is possible, wrinkly old buggas look older than me, although I am almost the same age as Mick and Keith! I may have been at the same gig, I was following them in ’62 with my mate, who met a London lass, which gave us a chair each to kip on.

I remember Ian Stewart on piano, and of course Brian Jones and Bill Wyman. Mick, Keith, Charlie and Brian I first saw in Blues Incorporated, at The Marquee or a college, memory is a bit hazy. Saw them next as The Rollin’ Stones, as christened by Brian Jones, at the Crawdaddy Club. What a sweaty cesspit that became!

My mate Alan married the London lass and her mate had designs upon my future, so by ’64 I was in the Army. That was the year I went for my last holiday as a civilian, to Blackpool with 8 mates from the village. The Stones came to the Winter Gardens and a riot broke out between Glasgow lads on one side and Nottinghamshire, Sheffield and Geordie lads on the other. We didn’t stay after the police sirens were heard, but broke through into the arcades next door, shoved machines up against the door and waited until it all died down, then back to the B&B at sunrise. Bedlam and mayhem! Yet another place that banned the Stones at the time.

I'm out.

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

Bob,

Brighton wasn’t the only place where mods and rockers clashed. I remember it happening in Blackpool in the late 70s (I was one of the rockers), and at Belle Vue fair in Manchester (I was also on the Rocker’s team there, though it died out pretty quickly after just one of our guys stepped forward towards the pack of mods with motorcycle chains in each hand, and they ran).

Of course, I never got involved in the actual kerfuffle. I was only 15 at the time.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

The Blackpool Stones show in ’64 was not a mods ‘n’ rockers thing Dan. It was a culmination of a few street battles between English and Glaswegian youths over several days. One of the lads we knew lost an eye when a Jock bottled him. I happened to be involved with a gorgeous blonde lass from Kilysth during the first of our two weeks holiday and had to really watch my step. The attic rooms of our B&B were inhabited by 9 of us Notts lads and 11 Scots lassies. What happens in Blackpool, stays in Blackpool….😍😉🤐 A situation like that, all young lads and lassies – was the landlord mad? That holiday is still talked about by we few “survivors” today.

Scarborough was also a mods ‘n ‘rockers battleground at times in the 60’s, but there were far too many rockers for the mods.

I'm out.

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

I dare say we all had moments in our youths that we would frown deeply on, now.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Due to the Corona Virus some changes have been made to Forumite. These include free membership and a dedicated area for the Corona Virus.
PLEASE READ 
Close