Tech Android Talk Android backups

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 2 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 381 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 315

I know that a Google account holds all photos and contacts from an Android phone and can be restored from there, but what about other stuff on the phone? I am about to RMA SWMBO’s Wileyfox Spark, at their request, and would like to know if I can retain some domestic peace by ‘putting – it – back – as – it -was’, which is a well known female point of instruction. Well known to me, anyway. 😏🙄 SWMBO has a Google account shared and linked between her laptop and the phone.

I have told the story in another Thread, but basically the Spark was upgraded from CM to Nougat automatically by WF. A few days later the 1.4GB upgrade necessitated the fitting of a 32GB SD card for more Internal storage, 32GB being the card recommended by WF. I did  this, formatted and set it correctly in Settings –> Storage & USB and it looked fine. Next day it reported a brand new card as ‘Incompatible’. So I fitted a new Samsung Evo and the same thing happened, this time phone said card was ‘corrupted’. I fitted a brand new 32GB SDHC SanDisk, having bought 2 I fitted the other to my Swift and it worked fine, set as Internal storage and I was able to transfer stuff from the phone’s own storage. The card in the Spark went TU, reported first as ‘incompatible’, then immediately after that, as ‘corrupted’. Having had enough by now, I began emailing WF and eventually this morning they asked me to RMA the phone for repair. Before I do this, I would like to back up the phone so that a reinstallation will be to the liking of my dear wife.

I tried each card in a card reader on my PC after they had been corrupted in the phone. Neither card showed up in Windows Libraries, but appeared in Devices & Printers. I bought a new card reader and a new SD card today, did not fit in the phone, but tried both in the PC and they were detected onscreen. Went back to the old card reader with the new SD card and it appeared onscreen. Checked all my USB ports with a known good pendrive and the data was available. So I think I have proved that the phone Storage hardware has a problem.

What does the team think? All advice gratefully accepted, as always.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 696
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 217

If you install Es File Manager it’ll let you back up pretty much anything on the phone, apps included. Useful if there’s one you like and it’s not in the Play store anymore.

You can drill down through various levels and types of storage, might need to google the locations/ file types but it’s a great app. I bought the pro version a while back when it was on sale.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1809
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 237

Es is good, I use it alot. But you’d be starting a fresh bob. Let Google sync the basics. And go from there.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 324
    • @tippon
      Forumite Coins: 151

Backup Message and Call to Email is really handy. I think it was either Nolan or Steve who first showed it to me, but it lets you backup your SMS, MMS, and call logs to Gmail, then restore them to any phone with the same Gmail account.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=backup.email.inapp&hl=en

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421
    • @bullstuff2

Thanks guys!

Nolan, ES is OK but taking Steve’s advice, SWMBO does not use internet on her phone, just calls and photos. I have backed up all her stuff to her laptop Google account and have Factory Reset the Spark, sending it off RMA Monday in its original box.

Ryan, thanks for that link, have actually downloaded to my phone and backed my stuff up with it to Google.

Hoping I can get either a repaired Spark or a new phone and restore marital harmony, until something else breaks. Been trying to start moving the TV down the wall and put up a new shelf for the soundbar, Sky cables, connections and new power strips. What sounds like an easy job is not: rerouting loads of stuff, got the plan but cannot get around to it for other tasks suddenly demanded. I am getting ready for when I chuck Sky and have a mix of NowTV and a Humax box. I need at least a day but family needs me NOW!

Hanskty
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2
    • @hanskty
      Forumite Coins: 0

Thanks guys! Nolan, ES is OK but taking Steve’s advice, SWMBO does not use internet on her phone, just calls and photos. I have backed up all her stuff to her laptop Google account and have Factory Reset the Spark, sending it off RMA Monday in its original box. Ryan, thanks for that link, have actually downloaded to my phone and backed my stuff up with it to Google. Hoping I can get either a repaired Spark or a new phone and restore marital harmony, until something else breaks. Been trying to start moving the TV down the wall and put up a new shelf for the soundbar, Sky cables, connections and new power strips. What sounds like an easy job is not: rerouting loads of stuff, got the plan but cannot get around to it for other tasks suddenly demanded. I am getting ready for when I chuck Sky and have a mix of NowTV and a Humax box. I need at least a day but family needs me NOW!

Can simply have a quick check of your backup Android data method ?

Ed P
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1365
    • @edps
      Forumite Coins: 275

I worry more about how you are formatting the SD card before you are inserting it in the Android. Try SDFormatter it gets rid of some of the carp that gets pre-installed by some card vendors. (use the option for format size adjustment).

The RMA sounds like the route to go in this instance, but I would have tried the formatter before buying new cards.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421
    • @bullstuff2

Thanks for all the advice guys, but problem is well solved. SWMBO’s phone eventually came back almost fixed: the Android update still would not work, but after an email to Wileyfox, they took time to guide me through it*. Using Google and ES, I was able to format the SD card successfully, transfer some data, pic’s and other stuff to the card.

*Interesting to note that WF returned the simple, inexpensive Spark, with a bigger battery, which meant they had to put it in a larger case. I am encouraged by their customer service and the patience of their operatives. I would buy another Wfox if mine dies. More to the point, SWMBO is happy with her phone. You may recognise this as an important consideration. I certainly do. 😉😀

Hanskty
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2
    • @hanskty
      Forumite Coins: 0

Thanks guys! Nolan, ES is OK but taking Steve’s advice, SWMBO does not use internet on her phone, just calls and photos. I have backed up all her stuff to her laptop Google account and have Factory Reset the Spark, sending it off RMA Monday in its original box. Ryan, thanks for that link, have actually downloaded to my phone and backed my stuff up with it to Google. Hoping I can get either a repaired Spark or a new phone and restore marital harmony, until something else breaks. Been trying to start moving the TV down the wall and put up a new shelf for the soundbar, Sky cables, connections and new power strips. What sounds like an easy job is not: rerouting loads of stuff, got the plan but cannot get around to it for other tasks suddenly demanded. I am getting ready for when I chuck Sky and have a mix of NowTV and a Humax box. I need at least a day but family needs me NOW!

Can simply have a quick check of your backup Android data method ?

Thanks , i have found a way to back up Android data , but not your plan

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Hanskty.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by RSB.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 1
PlaneMan
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 985, Posts: 12,361, Members: 135
Welcome to our newest member, LostSoul
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm