Another BT Hub craps out.

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Another BT Hub craps out.

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

4th this year.

Phone call from the Legion, visa card card reader and CCTV monitor (an android tablet) complaining about no network. Wired office PC also the same but another PC is OK.

Can’t see the Ubiquiti APs or the cameras through their cloud services, internet must be down. But the other PC is OK. Hmm, it’s attached to the BT Hub wireless. Yep, here we go again, the old BT Hub letting wireless through but not wired or vice versa.

Reboot Hub, no change and customer sceptical that can be the fault. All the lights are on and it’s only a few months old and it’s BT’s SMART Hub, the best yet. It’s the Business one too, not the “home” one. Convince them to get the £20 Argos TP-Link out of the cupboard they used before they renewed the contract.

10 Minutes later and everything is working again. “Shall we phone BT and get a new Hub? Ahh, probably not, what can you do”? Co-incidentally my experiments with VLANs at home need a VLAN aware router and my Vigor 2760 isn’t. Only weeks later they brought out the 2762 which is – doh! Upshot is they will have my 2760 when my new 2762 arrives.

On an average weekend evening, especially with the function room going, they will have 50 -100 concurrent connections to the Ubiquiti APs which handle it easily. That will give the router a fair amount of NAT table to look after but this is a “Business” router after all and the £20 TP-Link handled it all before… Gives you some idea about whats actually in there and the software fluff they add on top.

I’m glad we’ll be getting a Draytek in there. Rock solid, proper support, loads of diagnostics and an SSL VPN. The latter will help them in ways they don’t even know yet.

Spread the love
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,756

Not had time to read this, I will later. But yesterday was looking for the thread we had with router and WiFi options. And my Asus router finally died.

Currently had the talk talk one in since tuesday. Both the footy games I’ve watched onBT sports (ligit) have been rubber banding and jumpy! Never happened on the asus router. So I’m gonna need options.

Dave I know you like to spit up modem form the router and your WiFi ap, but I’d prefer a simpler all in one vdsl2

l router with WiFi soloition. Given Xmas is almost here, cheaper the betterr. But good enough to stream at least 3 live streams of HD sport.

The TT hub couldn’t do  one live football streme well. the speeds and pings look decent. 30ms 60meg and 18up.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

Steve, check these out from TP-Link.

http://tinyurl.com/yb5lxq2q

I have the older model of  a Wd-9980, the one that might be best for you in the above link is the VR900 Archer 1900, which as an EDIT, I have just seen has USB3 sockets. Might get that when SWMBO calms down after my recent purchases, lol:

http://tinyurl.com/ybscfp7p

My old 9980, as a VDSL modem it can handle ADSL or Fibre, has its own modem, “End of Line” at TP-Link.

http://tinyurl.com/yb9m6oro

Gigabit, 2 USB sockets, cable or ADSL. Still a good router and better that my Plusnet Hub One*.

*After weeks of deafness from Plusnet regarding the BT village problems with line closures by PN’s owners BT: Last night I lost patience and checked out a good-looking deal with EE that would give me FTTC with at least 15 Mbps, started the switch process. This morning PN offered me a similar deal at the same Minimum speed, in writing, of 15.1 Mbps, at a lower price than EE, retaining my already paid for Line Rental until October next, a lower 18 month contract than 2 years, the already in place Anytime Calls. I took it and from midnight on the 15th I will have FTTC and decent speeds back. Hopefully, unless BT and/or Openreach decide otherwise. Wish me luck, if it succeeds it will be the end of a long road that began in May this year.😯😪😫😴😂😀

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,326

I mainly look at business solutions these days, which is why I use Drayteks. I also believe that separating devices is the best option and far more reliable and doesn’t cost more than a top all-in-one.

I’m hearing good things about Google WiFi but you still need a router for internet access can can get NAT issues. Multiple units soon ramp the price up. The same goes for all the “Mesh” kit.

That basically leaves you with the Asus and TP-Link Archer routers or the Synology RT2600ac (which would also need a VDSL modem).

The things is your TT router is probably just fine as a router, it’s the WiFi element that let’s if down. A Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR Cloud Managed UniFi Long Range AC1300 will cost you £96 fully set up then that’s the WiFi sorted forever.

The UAP-AC-PRO Cloud Managed UniFi AC1750 is £140 and the new UAP AC NanoHD 2033Mbps £160 For most houses the £60 UAP 300N is fine, or the £80 UAP-AC-LITE if you want 5Ghz.

Basically you get more MIMO antenna as you move up the range.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,756

Cheers, some good stuff.

I think the gods of the Internet keep close eyes on me, as evey time I even think of updating my Internet kit, somthing else likes to come up! Never mind Xmas is just over there —->

So I’m going to keep my eye on the standard TT set up, their box seems OK tbf apart from locking tne dns! But on the while while ugly and hard to navigate, it’s got more options than any other oem router I’ve seen. (though that’s been a good 10 years). I’m sure Ill be back on the case as soon as the weekend rolls round and I want to watch some sports. As I think it’s just live fast stuff that is its issue.

Also since my asus went down, all the smarts have fallen over! So I need a proper decision on a solution so I can sort all them back out.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Yes it’s a pig of a GUI. Wait until you get to the firewall ports pages…

The biggest problem I had with it was connection dropping. I never used the WiFi but these units are not made for anything but light use.

Thinking about I-O-T I think it’s essential that they’re kept apart from the main network. That means multiple SSIDs with a proper guest function on at least one i.e. they can only access the internet on that SSID. You should be able to do that with any half decent router but again the price creeps up and you have all your eggs in one basket.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 754

I mentioned it on a post a while back – Asus VDSL Routers I would swerve – check out the reviews. Great routers (without VDSL) but they can’t get that side of it right. Dave pointed out that the Openreach modems are end of life – but still loads about if you went for a non-VDSL modem and he also posted a newer modem-only option (Vigor/Draytek?) which would do the same job. Dave can you remind me please? My Asus router (RT-AC87U) WiFi easily covers the house (1940s end terrace) – got one of Dave’s Ubiquiti APs serving the garden (and most of East London/Essex if they had the password!) Great bits of kit.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It’s the Vigor 130.

It depends on your ISP but for TalkTalk (which requires no authentication) it sets itself up and then “disappears”. You plug your routers Ethernet WAN port into it’s LAN port and set the router to obtain IP automatically and away you go.

This is what I’ll be doing on the weekend but with my 2760 set to bridge mode. I have an old non VDSL Draytek 2830N that will be doing the router work for the Home and Test LANs. Amazingly powerful piece of kit that would cost £250 now and fully understands VLANs. Indeed I can have 8 of them with 4 IP subnets distributed over any combination and mix of 4 LAN ports and 4 SSIDs. My I-O-T will be truly isolated 😀

For BT or other ISPs that use PPPoE you set it up in a similar way but the router connected to it (still via Ethernet) has to be set to PPPoE and you put your authentication credentials in there.

It opens up all sorts of interesting devices, the Synology routers are truly awesome with a fantastic GUI (as powerful as a business wants but with the same features packaged as “home” too) but they’re expensive. However they are introducing their own Mesh system soon with the units – Synology MR2200ac  Simultaneous Tri-Band Gigabit – at £125 each level.

That will give Google, BT and Nest a real run for their money and it will be supported (at no extra cost) to the level businesses will expect, not a put it on the shelf and forget it consumer unit. Might be worth waiting for Steve.

EDIT – I’ve been talking Fibre (VDSL2) here but the same principals apply to ADSL, it’s just a slightly different set up of the V130. For Virgin cable I understand it’s easy to put their router into bridge mode.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Dave Rice.
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love