Forumite

Anybody else melting?

This topic contains 54 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

It’s been damn hot here since about 11am. I went to the gym at about 9.30am. Lovely and cool in there but I still sweat like mad .Came out and it was like an oven. It was 15 centigrade when I went in, 25 when I came out. The wind is strong but also warm.

Currently sat in my living room where my grey t-shirt is turning a much darker grey. I never realised typing was such hot work!!

My Instagram

My YouTube

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

The temperature is now down to 31.2, which is a whole 3 degrees lower than it was. Unfortunately while I need to do a few outside jobs my energy levels have hit the bargain-basement level. I was going to chuck out or scrap a barbecue, but just for laughs I tried to fire it up. I had replaced several bits a while ago, i.e. years back and found it barely warmed up. This time it readily burst into life and soon started to burn off the organic remains that had collected. You can colour me shocked. I left it going for ten or fifteen minutes and there was no doubt at all that it was right up to temperature. Now it needs a clean-up, a new rust free grill plate and it could be fully usable once more. The good news is that having cleaned up the shed there is room to put it away when the weather returns to normal. For the moment the only issue is where to keep it ready for possible use.

Really I should trim some grass and confirm that the new mower works as it should. It can be all go when you feel more like sitting down and doing nothing!

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,239

I’ve got to go up to the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand on Monday or Tuesday; thankfully just to lodge papers rather than a hearing so no need to suit and boot, thank god.

Parking is close to impossible and even if you can get it its over half a mile away and costs as much as a good evening out.   So instead it has to be the moving underground ovens to get there.    At least I can pick my time so its not the rush hour either way.     30C above ground makes it closer to 45C down there in the rush hour.  I could handle it once upon a time but these days I’m not sure.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 601

When i went for my ride this morning, there were a few large rain drops. I called at the Post Office, and it was still dropping. Maybe one minute inside, but completely dry when I got out. My ride was “over the top”, West coast to East coast at Laxey. Mist on the mountain, needed to keep wiping my goggles every 10-15 seconds. I chose a table outside, and raised the sun umbrella “just in case” of sun. But it then rained heavily for maybe 30 mins. Some went inside, some of us stayed outside. I left at midday, still misty on the tops, but otherwise quite dry. very pleasant outside, but it almost feels chilly inside now.

I heard a little thunder whilst  eating, but otherwise really good here still.

Les.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I’ve got to go up to the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand on Monday or Tuesday; thankfully just to lodge papers rather than a hearing so no need to suit and boot, thank god. Parking is close to impossible and even if you can get it its over half a mile away and costs as much as a good evening out. So instead it has to be the moving underground ovens to get there. At least I can pick my time so its not the rush hour either way. 30C above ground makes it closer to 45C down there in the rush hour. I could handle it once upon a time but these days I’m not sure.

By Monday, it should be cooling down once more, though at 20:30 here it is still 30.5, which is a bit warm. At least the humidity is still below 50% which makes it a little easier to handle. I gave up on the mowing idea and watered the plants that needed some care before calling it a day outside. Now to see what tomorrow brings.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,904

Just gave the motor a clean, it’s really nice out there right now, hot but a very nice cool wind. Didn’t even break a sweat.

Now it’s very warm inside. ?

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,965

Why oh why did I mention ants earlier! Scream from SWMBO, crawlers and fliers covering the big lounge picture window. Last time, they came out from under the front doorstep. Now it’s moved to under the window, into the house via the soffits and fascias. Took about 2 hours to get rid and now we are out of ant killer spray, but the new stuff works, they die on contact and it leaves a film that kills them when they cross it. We have a very powerful VAX vacuum and it sucked them up nicely, but cleaning the Vax was messy: one big wodge of X- thousand ants had to be scraped out. The local sparrows were helping, scoffing away. Luckily for them I bought a spray that says it is safe for other animals, including birds.

Still quite warm at 10:15 pm and hot tomorrow: glad I stocked up on Highland Spring water, fridge is full of it.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,018

Next came a Boiga, a venomous snake: I woke up and heard my mate whisper “Don’t move or you’re dead!”

About ten years ago I caught the first train to Cardiff every day, and wound up regularly sitting with a girl I knew from school and about half a dozen military college students. She was ex military, so would tell them stories about her deployment.

One story was that she was in a hot, dry country, sitting in a hole in the sand with her back to a wall (she kept things slightly vague on purpose). They’d either just been or were just about to go on patrol, so were a little bit on edge. Suddenly the conversation around her stopped, and she was told not to move. Everyone was looking to a point just behind her, and one of the soldiers picked up their gun as if they were about to use it. 1001 thoughts went through her head, mainly along the lines of ‘the bad guys are coming’ (but with a bit more colour). There was a sudden burst of movement as one of the guys swung a shovel past her head. She heard a meaty hit, then he proceeded to batter something on the ground behind the wall. When my friend looked, there was a giant spider (camel spider?) about the size of her head on the floor. It had crawled over the top of the wall, and had reared up as if it was about to jump at her.

I shuddered just hearing about that one!

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Ah yes, the infamous camel spider such as

or

Camel spiders get a terrible press, and bites are probably best avoided but apparently the stories about them are rather worse than most reported effects. They tend to inject an anaesthetic so that they can then settle down for a meal of you while you sleep. As the pale colour suggests they are not creatures of the sunny day, preferring to take a snack at night while their meal companion is sleeping. The main danger is that the wound can be large and open so going septic is a real danger.

These pictures were taken in our garden in the ‘Middle East’ where things were far hotter than it has been here. At this time of year it was usually about 140F by day and about 99% humidity at this time of year. May was hotter but the humidity then came up and things were cooler but less comfortable. By night the temperature fell a little, perhaps 110 ~ 130 F. If you did not have air conditioning in the car often you did not like to drive round with the window open as the rush of hot air could burn your arm.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I remember those in Aden and the Radfan, horrible things. An Arab interpreter told me that they blamed the Egyptians, specifically the Pharaohs, for the existence of these things. The story he came out with was that what he called ‘Tomb Spiders’ had gott into the Pharaoh’s tombs and snacked on the occupants, then spread across the middle east. I pointed out that the mummies were dehydrated, devoid of flesh and organs, full of embalming fluid  and would not be a source of food, even for a spider. Retort was a muttered “You Inglese know nothing, NOTHING!”

I would have been more worried about the Fat Tailed Scorpion, which lives in those parts and has caused human deaths:

I hated what the tribes did to them: make a sand circle, soak the circle in petrol, throw in a captured Scorpion, set the petrol on fire and watch the Scorpion dance. Entertainment for a people that were once at the height of civilisation, now reduced to mediaeval behaviour.

The ants tried to stage a come back today, in very small numbers, all outside the lounge window. The front of the house was a sparrow smorgasbord, must have been dozens of the hungry little buggas. Every bungalow in the Close has a resident sparrow nest under the eves, they are our first line of defence and Early Warning System. RSPB reckons that sparrows are declining in numbers in the UK: no, they are all here!

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Today it was 26ºC here, with a strong breeze from the West, which brought scattered cloud and finally a little rain about 8 pm. Earlier, we went to Sutton on Sea and had a long walk through a warm incoming tide. Unlike Skeggy and Mablethorpe, all that long beach was underpopulated:

This is S on S Gardens, a sea of roses, planted and maintained by locals of S on S Gardening Group:

We ate a Farmer Brown’s ice cream from a van, on the blue seats after a nice lunch at a local cafe, then went home. Farmer Brown’s is a local farm business that has diverged into a restaurant and ice cream parlour, best ices ever! To the right of the gardens is what used to be a colonnade below several chalets. The whole structure housed a cafe, ice cream shop  and seats, but was declared unsafe last year. It’s boarded up and awaiting work to start on renewing the whole thing. Meanwhile, Farmer Browns’ saw an opening and brought their van to the rescue, right by the kiddie’s paddling pool. Smart!

--- Robin Williams

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I agree on the scorpions, apparently some small ones were worse than the larger ones. Though, whether this was because the bigger ones were easier to spot than the tiny ones was not something that I ever wanted to put to the test. It was cooler here yesterday though it was an indoor day apart from cutting the grass in the morning using the new mower to ensure that it worked, it did and it ‘just cut the grass’. This was a remark worthy innovation as the old mower preferred to plough up the grass rather than cut the darned stuff. It has been down graded to hedge cuttings collection service.

I really hate having to sort out plumbing issues. We have had a dripping drinking water tap and though I bought the inserts to upgrade them, it resisted all attempts to remove the works to allow them to be changed. This called for plan B, replace the unit. However, it is at the back of the kitchen worktop in a sort of triangular spot behind the sink, squashed against the wall and the side of the cabinet, so it is a right pig to access. It is not the first time that I have had to change the hardware, but all previous attempts have caused hours of stress and colourful language. History can be a teacher and this time I was prepared. Yesterday’s plumbing battle was over and done within half an hour, including correcting a weep from a nicely accessible plastic compression connection. Now it drips no more.

I am trying to replace the lawn’s victim areas from last summer’s roasting with the green stuff using grass seed but with limited success so far. Transplanting removed bits of a neighbour’s building project has been far more successful, but the excavation phase of their job is done and dusted so no more transplants. I shall use the remains of the grass seed packet and if this is not successful I shall get some turfs inserted in the autumn.

The rose arch project has been almost completed, about 20 years late but well under budget and in time for the rose to start flowering perhaps later this week. The delay was down to a planning disagreement; sounds like a government project does it not? That issue was happily resolved to the comfort of both parties, with SWMBO now agreeing that it adds visual framing and interest, rather than obstructing a view. I am hopeful that this year the flower show will be greatly improved.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 4,636

Some years ago one evening in Crete my wife was stung on the ankle by a 2-3″ scorpion. It made her cry out in pain, and my know-it-all elder son (9 at the time) took great pleasure in informing her that she would be dead within hours! (she of course survived with just a swollen foot)

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I cannot support the truth of this Ed, but I was once informed by an RAMC corporal that anyone who recovers from a scorpion sting, would find the next such event less painful. Apparently a partial immunity is involved. Perhaps the fact that we used to address this guy as “Hey you – nearly a Doctor!” might point to the reality… Anyway, please don’t ask Mrs. Ed to verify that! ?

Richard, I also had a busy day in the garden today, glad your plumbing went well. 23 to 25ºC here today but a very strong wind and clouds coming from the West, disappearing just as quickly to the East. I began with my roses, pruning and dead heading the front of house ones, mowed the rear lawn. Roses:

The pink ones have a gorgeous scent, very heavy, especially at night, when some rare moths arrive to resume the pollination duties after the bees go to bed. I like to see people stop and look when they get a whiff as they pass. I don’t charge for this… The white ones bloom all year until just before Christmas, but have little scent. I love roses, have planted six more at the rear and two more in the borders at the front since this pic was taken. The neighbours behind our bungalow, two single blokes, don’t do anything more than mow the lawn, they have a jungle that I keep chopping back. I dug out the horrible pink bush to the left of the white rose, which was a nightmare: the roots went under the brickwork and the roots are a cross between a rhizome and a tuber. Took me about two hours to remove all traces, which I guess is a measure of how far my health has improved now. The rear neighbour to our left has a beautiful rose that our old friends and former neighbours planted 4 years ago: it is deep yellow with red shading at the tips and he has built a huge shed in front of it, does nothing for it, it is neglected. I will pinch ask him for it at the end of the year. Pruned some suckers from the older yellow rose on the back garden rose arch and dead headed the red one. They are old roses now and I will have to make a decision about them later this year. Tomorrow, out with the hedge trimmer, avoid losing digits and limbs, and attack several overgrown bushes. Fill the Green Waste bin and wait two weeks for the Council Waste truck to call, at £40 a year for that.

I am so glad to have reached the point at which I can do what I need to do myself, instead of relying on others. Hope it continues.

--- Robin Williams

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,904

Highest I’ve seen today was 33C. That was in the car at the national speed limit.

Air con on’freeze’ setting and my t-shirt was still slightly damp!

In the gym this morning I lost about a kg due to sweating so much and it’s air-conditioned.

Being a Cardiff born person I’m not used to nice weather, I can’t handle it.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

The garden hit 34.8 today but it is ‘only 30.7 now. The resident husky would not go for a walk this morning when it was only about 15, but then tried to spend as much of the day sun bathing as she could. We had other ideas, so gained a grumpy husky. I will try again to walk her when it cools down. The chemo unit was really boiling when we called in for my wife’s check up and next round of chemo tablets, – thank goodness for car A/C! It was hotter in the Gulf, but probably more comfortable as we got used to being over 40 degrees for months at a time, no such luck this time and it will probably be floods next.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

28ºC in the car earlier when food shopping, 35ºC atm. Probably should go to the beach somewhere, as it is always cooler on our coast. But I cba to make the effort.

Anyone else having swarms of small hoverflies? I love them on my roses, they snap up all the smaller insects but looks like they have run out of aphids and whiteflies. Watching some eating the small black bugs that come with Rape seed crops. They are attracted to bright white/yellow colours and my roses were full of them until the hoverflies could not find any aphids. Now hoverflies are crunching these little buggas, which have very hard shells.

Just wiped out all the ants last week, now these. What next? Don’t mind wasps, they are pollinators. I leave them alone and they tolerate me. Driving is OK if I use the aircon and turn up the fan, but again I cba.

Yesterday SWMBO had an MRI scan at Boston, which is a good few miles away down the A16. Scan was booked for 1720 hours and there was an hour’s delay. On the way back, both starving, we found a great restaurant. Anyone travelling the A16 to and from Boston area, I recommend this:

https://tinyurl.com/yyam4pz9

Loads of ambionce, Rodney! Luvly jubbly!

--- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,926

Been behind the bar all day as we had a 50th on. I’ve not stopped sweating since about 11am. It’s all but over now and I’m sat outside still hot and sticky.

Far too hot.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Not a long walk to the sea from there Steve, is it? Have a swim.

I had a shower this morning, another a short while ago. P****d -off sweat, after following instructions from my Gert to fit a new fly screen to the back door, after 3 other jobs I did not recall saying I would do, but was firmly told that I had. Got fed up with the instructions, had a short sharp debate, Gert made tea, I fitted the fly screen. Without instructions, how did I manage???

Tonight here we are supposed to have heavy rain, starting at 0300 and tailing off at about 0700. My Gert has watered the garden, against my advice. Thinking of waking her at 0300 when the thunderstorms start, to tell her how right I was (again) then realised that even the loudest thunder does not wake me when I am in the land of Nod. In fact the only thing that does wake me is this bloody Prostate, fortunately I wake for a P***.

My Gert can’t swim and I have the shallow end of the bed … ?☺

And the fly screen will get wet, but I am not taking it down again!

--- Robin Williams

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

The rain and even thunder is a pure gamble where we live so, yes I did water those parts of the garden that appear to be most in need of refreshment. I did have to get up about 2 or 3 a.m. and made a bathroom visit so was able to see an impressive display of lightening, here an impressive range of thunder and a more generalised go at watering the garden. The benefits were on display this morning the supposed to be grassy areas look green and more or less lush for once.

Much to the disappointment of the younger dog there were no real puddles about when she went for her walk this morning. She thinks the shortest distance between two points is via the greatest number of puddles, the husky does not think water pools are of any use and avoids them like one would avoid plague pits.

At just gone 8:00 a.m. it is already over 23 degrees so it is warming up and with humidity already at 85% it will feel hot and uncomfortable. Perhaps the renewed covering for the shed roof will have to wait.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,926

We had trh rain around the time you mentioned bob. But never got rid of any of the heat. Been awake since 05:20! Just dossimg in bed listening to a book. Will be leaving the house to sit in that boiling pot all day in 30 mins. Get a hair cut first I think if open.

Viewing 20 replies - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.