Forumite

Apple not such a bad egg

HOME Forums Tech Apple Talk Apple not such a bad egg

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Apple not such a bad egg 2The Duke
    @sgb101

The keen eyes akaongs you, may 9f deduced im. Not an apple product lover. Though given my professionism most would never picked that up 😜

Anyhow I’ve always had good things to say about the second gen ipad, tdh 2, I think it was over engineered and lasted far longer than it should off. Great bit of kit.

Over the last year I’ve had to get another few ipads,both  ipad air 2a 64gb with 3g and one 32 with out. Both excellent. Bar slow wifi

Just before xmas I picked up a referb ipad pro 2nd gen with first gen pen, mainly for poster creation. For £250 off ebay, (referb) and the thing is somthing special. Extrermly quick, decent battery, zero lag on pencil, but  has a poor WiFi chip in itm a real shame that something so front and center and cheap has been skimped on.

However I think as a package, it’s well worth The 250 I paid. And suspect this may also be the next ipad 2.

Praise where praise is due. Well done. If spelling and grammar is worse than usual I apologise, man flue and zero sleep, does not make the best of bed fellows. Never mind the unholy anout of back pain killers.

Did anyone else review a gift (not that this was one) that far excelled what was accepted.??

Always a nice feeling, feeling as if you got one over on the man lol

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Apple not such a bad egg 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,344

I agree with the 2nd gen iPad, it’s the one I bought. The WiFi is bloody awful though.

Whilst it’s out of the iOS update loop it’s still getting security patches which is a bonus. The battery still lasts a decent amount of time and the buttons seem like new. It’s my holiday go to device for dealing with photos and social media, email, etc. However the Android phone is the device of choice for getting around and running the business on the move.

Participant
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,210

100% agree. A good 90% of my computing needs are done via my phone.

Participant
    Apple not such a bad egg 5blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,338

My Ipad Air 2 (128GB cellular version which followed me out of work!) is great – only Apple device I’ve ever owned. Not ever noticed any wifi issues – and long in the tooth now, but still works great. I’m Android all the way but have to give that iPad its dues. You have to jump through a few more hoops and pay out a few quid more for decent apps but it is a good bit of kit.

Participant
    @sgb101

Amazed how bad my typing was above. Hopefully changed most of it for the better

I’ve never liked tablets before, never liked ios either, however this older pro I’m loving alot. It’s turning into my go to device. Also the pen and photoshop (also procreate looks Better than PS) make this a great buy at the price point these first gens are at.

In 2 years time I’ll get whatever the current one is now, then. By then ios (or ipad os) will be a more fleshed out computing os also, so a nice keyboard doc and I think I may be happy for 95% of my computing needs.

I can’t belive I’m being dragged to the dark side, after years of protesting. But I think they have a proper bit of kit on thier hands now.

I wouldn’t pay a grand for one though. I’d get a windows surface if I was going down that road. A referb surface may be a good bet. Though I hear their pen isn’t a patch on apples.

Participant
    Apple not such a bad egg 7Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,293

Price is a real problem with Apple, and especially the Apple Mac range. I wonder if they have ever looked at the (price-cost of sales)*sales equation and the effect on profit of reducing cost but increasing sales and reducing unit manufacturing cost.

The other option would be to license their Mac OS to a few select manufacturers as well as make their machines more capable of being upgraded. (especially graphics where arguably Apple Macs lagged behind Windows for 4 to 5 years)

Although Apple is still extremely popular, my Apple-maven son despairs at the extremely high price of the new Mac Pro and is increasingly tempted towards the dark-side of buying Windows kit for all the activities that do not need an Apple compiler (e.g. 3D modelling, 2D modelling, web work and hardware interfacing). Apple seem to fail to grasp that without supporting developers that produce new software their product range will eventually die on the vine. (Typically all iPhone, and iPad software is written on a Mac Pro)

Participant
    @sgb101

I’ve heard alot of people are very happy with the prices of the new rack mounted Pro set up. That cost is relive to what you do. If your into heavy video rendering aparantly the new system is a no brainer. Especally give its uber configurable and user upgradable. So you can buy the “cheaper” options now, and have it as the core of your buses ofr a good 10 years while slowly upgrading it.

I’m guseeing there will already be modded cases avalible for it so one won’t need a rack.

Participant
    Apple not such a bad egg 7Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,293

Hmm not sure about that Steve. Most magazine reviews say too expensive even for a server version.

Apple blazons that the new Pro has 28 Intel cores (i.e. for render farms), but that lags well behind the 64 cores on a Threadripper overall that appears to make the Intel i9 look obsolete in all except games! However I have not seen comparisons of these two in render farm applications but I would back the Threadripper especially if coupled with a couple of AMD workstation graphics cards that have been optimised for specific application software.

Participant
    Apple not such a bad egg 10Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,400

I’ve got the Pro 11 inch that work purchased for us – whilst the University is mainly Windows focused, the apps we use for the risk assessments is far easier to use on the iPad than the web based version on the Windows tablet. A Surface also makes for a poor inspection tool due to the size – iPad Mini’s would possibly be better options for us, but myself and the other fire officer don’t use laptops, so we use these as a cross.

But as a home user, the cost of the Mac range is increasingly difficult to justify. I paid out for the new Mac Mini – upgraded the CPU, mainly as it also came with the larger 256GB SSD. That’s almost £1300 from memory. Whilst there are a number of apps that I use on the Mac that either don’t have Windows or Linux counterparts, I can look at moving to different software, which possibly wont be as good, or requiring some getting used to, but I imagine I may struggle in the future to consider it.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Apple not such a bad egg 1Drezha.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.