Forumite Forums General Topics Politics Other Politics April Fools that I wish was real!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Bob Williams
    Participant

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeease don’t start that up again here, FS!

I voted Remain, the vote went the other way. It’s history, I wish everyone would accept it and let us get on with it.

I don’t care what colour my Passport is, as long as it gets me where I want to go. What does annoy me, is the fact that it is not manufactured in the UK. How dumb is that?

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
      I'm out.

The Duke
      Participant

I loved the news it wasn’t made here. Just cos its so silly.

Richard
        Participant

Bob, I understand that though the proposed production company is foreigner owned, the actual production plant is in the UK, so exchange rates and tax payments might be protected. It also begs a question, why was De La Rue so far off on the costs and, I also understand, their technical compliance. Did they hope to wing it one wonders, hoping that no one would read the price or compliance statements? Perhaps they were hoping for a because its us contract award. They, or one of their senior bods, have been stirring the witches brew.

Bob Williams
          Participant

Not strictly correct, Richard:     http://tinyurl.com/y9x8pvb3

It looks like the “70 jobs created” will be for assembly, probably binding and not print, design and print being carried out in France or the Netherlands. Binding will be by machine, which is why there will be only 70 jobs. Gemalto is a Franco-Dutch firm, but France did not put the whole production of their new passports out to international tender: the contract went to a French company. So why did France not follow EU prcurement rules, and put their passports out to international tender? <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Answer</span> – because as usual, the UK plays by the rules and other EU nations (especially France) do not.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
            I'm out.

Ed P
            Participant

“… because as usual, the UK plays by the rules and other EU nations (especially France) do not.”

Very true Bob. Our stupid Civil Servants redraft EU regulations and tighten them up instead of keeping them loose. That I think has been a cause of a lot of discontent with the EU. As a small example, the EU Regs on fruit are such that it was always possible to legally buy and sell lower price ‘imperfect’ fruit in Germany, but the UK has only recently started to cotton on to such loopholes. This was meant to act as a hidden barrier to external competition, but instead was used by our Civil Servants as a stick to beat our own growers.

Richard
              Participant

Bob, as I understand things the assembly was always going to be UK based as it refers to the implantation of chips, (the biometric part) and a few other finishing issues. The problem is that none of us has the real inside track on the details – including any skulduggery by civil servants (or others).

Yes Ed, that is a major issue for many, we have a reputation for following and gold plating anything we are told without verifying its validity first. I still remain to be convinced that De La Rue failed to price right by accident nor am I sure what other parts of their compliance document were found wanting. Having had a non compliant tenderer complain at their justified rejection in the past, I am sensitive to such complaints. One proposed using a non existent piece of kit from a ‘bridge builder’ who has specifically confirmed, in writing to us that they could not and would not build the interface as it was too expensive in licensing fees and development costs. The non compliant tenderer subsequently folded.

The Duke
                Participant

It’s as if the gov wanted to get a foreign co to make it. As its said they had to tenure it across the eu, which isn’t strictly true, but let’s pretend it is. Why didn’t they just wait 12 months to tenure it.

Im not massively patriotic but to those that are, it would make them feel like a little win if thr gov said ‘l”due to this rule, we are holding off tenure to insure British only production”. Or some bs along them line. They would loose no face to the remain group, and only gain good feeling from the pro brexit people.

That is why it made me laugh when the news was released.

Richard
                  Participant

Steve, yes in spite of anything else I have said there are some factors of the issue that confound me. Timing is one and not anticipating a brouhaha was another – or was it anticipated? We had weakened our stand by previously buying some of the booklets from Europe, unlike the perfidious French who demanded and got away with 100% French production and sod the EU.

I see that De La Rue are seeking to increase the cost by a legal challenge, – popcorn please.

dwynnehugh
                    Participant

Last week I thought AF Day had arrived early when I saw a piece on P2 of our regional daily – Daily Post – that a certain Plaid Cymru AM was suggesting that once they got into power as a government – they would establish a Welsh airline company – ‘Cymair’ ???? (My suggestion).

Doesn’t this give you a warm feeling somewhere, to think that with all the poor housing, education, health and social infrastructure in the Principality that once in government Plaid Cymru (PC)  would have a national airline. It wasn’t 1.4.18 after all, soooooooooooooo glad our aspiring politicians are looking after our long term interests.

That said by the time PC ever (if ever) get to that stage would be like Microsoft urging punters to return to W95 as the way forward!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Ed P
                      Participant

CymBaYa  for Eisteddfod trips?

dwynnehugh
                        Participant

LOL – could well be!!

They could use AMs as engines – so much useless hot air being found a use for!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                        Forumite