• Creator
    Topic
    PlaneMan
    Participant

Some will remember my topic on MM about my hands (and now hip).

I saw the consultant today and my hip is mildly wrecked. The cartilage on the ‘socket’ part is worn and has a tear in it. That explains the increased pain I have while walking and moving it anyway apart from straight forward  or back. The consultant was happy to say it was a ‘one of those things’ situation until I showed him my swollen ,bright red fingers.

I had bloods done and I’m having a MRI on my hands tomorrow. The first one was done when the fingers weren’t inflamed so he’s hoping that something will show this time.

I’m seeing the physio monday and the consultant a week today, hopefully it’s better news than the referral to a surgeon which was going to happen today but has been delayed while I continue to confuse medical science.  :unsure:

Viewing 20 replies - 221 through 240 (of 467 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Richard
      Participant

Fax was long seen as a point to point medium provided that the handshakes were recorded before and after the message transmission so less liable to interception and abuse/error, shonky quality excepted. Email was not regarded as either secure or reliable so was not fully accepted by many, though common practice has taken it into wider use. This may be one of the reasons that so called secure email has been such a hot potato recently. I have a document that contains some confidential data concerning another person that I want to send to the person dealing with their affairs, but I am reluctant to email it until I obtain assurances from the far end as to their preferred document management. I could encrypt it but that takes two to tango, the other end must agree on the encryption method and so far getting a response from them is ‘challenging’, so it will go in the good old(?) snail mail later.

My pharmacy and GP use electronic prescribing – well most of the GPs now do it that way. As far as I know the pharmacy also order from suppliers the same sort of way, straight from their terminal.

Warning, a number of items are currently in short supply two people in front of me were told that at least one of their items was hard to obtain, i.e. no stock. I have been waiting for one of mine for more than two weeks. Supply ‘organisation’ issues at the suppliers end have been cited. I wonder if it is a rerun of previous currency speculation when suppliers bought stuff in at a controlled £ cost and sold supplies on overseas for a higher uncontrolled export price.

Bob, you have put your finger on the major obstacle to NHS progress and cost controls, human factors also known as NIH, (Not Invented Here) or Granny Would Not Like It done that way. I have told the story of the machine that could process 40 samples per batch, that was only doing one at a time, because ‘that was how the operator did their samples’. No wonder they want more money – I just hope some is spent on training.

JayCeeDee
        Participant

I’ve been re-mortgaging recently and the Post Office do a secure Guaranteed service, within the UK, for documents etc for about £6.50 for a large letter up to 100g and it’s guaranteed for 1pm the following working day. HERE.

Richard
          Participant

Yes thank you, I used that service when dealing with probate issues involving original copies of some irreplaceable documents, e.g. wills. They are hard to replace when dealing with probate for the deceased! My current dilemma is for more mild than that one, thank goodness. So it will be the ordinary mail and hope for the best in a moment.

JayCeeDee
            Participant

?

Ed P
              Participant

PGP is often used and accepted by (some) solicitors as it gives a verifiable signature and the signature is linked to the contents as sent. You can (if you wish) and your version allows send a PGP signed but non-encrypted missive. (The recipient then need only use PGP to verify the signature)

PlaneMan
                Participant

I’ve been over at my mother’s most of the day minding the house while she gets ready for a holiday early next week. A bathroom is being re-done.

Had a phone call on my way home but it wasn’t a number in my contacts so it was ditched. Checked the voicemail when I got home and it was a garbled message about my visit yesterday. tried calling the centre and nothing at all, no dial tone. Called the surgery to check if the report had been sent over yesterday and it wasn’t. ?

I’ve had it with them, I’m doing a formal complaint. I’m seeing the well being people tomorrow and I’ll ask if they have any experience with doing complaints, if not I’ll use the online form I found. If I go back there I’ll lose my temper with the incompetent fools.

Bob Williams
                  Participant

Nolan, do you have anything like P.A.L.S. in your area? They were a big help to us concerning an issue with Grimsby Hospital.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service:       http://tinyurl.com/y9lu6683

They give independent, unbiased advice and assistance: here, the NHS have to give them access to all documentation, including electronic.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                    I'm out.

PlaneMan
                    Participant

Nothing like that here Bob. Different system. I’ll double check though, shame as that looks very good.

PlaneMan
                      Participant

Saw the well being lady today, explained my problems with the mental health centre and she asked my permission to intervene. One signature later she disappeared for a few minutes and came back saying she’d made a phone call. 5 minutes later the centre called her and apologised and said the report was being sent that moment. 10 minutes or so later the surgery rang me to inform they had got the report.  I asked for a copy of it and 15 minutes later I was at the surgery with a copy of the report in my hands.

I have no idea who she called but by heck they have some clout. Amazing result from a very well connected lady. I suspect she could earn a fortune but doesn’t need to, she has that look of having a big lump of money, very subtle though. I honestly think she truly just wants to help people.

Bob Williams
                        Participant

Good result and a battle won Nolan, that is basically what my retired PALS lady did. It’s good that these people are on our side, but why should the system need them to save us from the system’s own errors, inefficiencies and inadequacies?

It’s always the Admin side of the NHS that makes it difficult for patients and medical staff, who are 99% concerned with getting their jobs carried out properly and in a caring environment. I once watched a junior, very young female admin staff receptionist being reduced to tears by a bullying male senior colleague, and stepped in to stop it. I then complained to my consultant about what I had witnessed. The consultant was calling the offender into his office as I left. It was a disquieting event to witness.

I have always hated bullying since I was a very young child in leg irons to correct leg rickets, being hassled and picked on by bigger kids. Some of whom were repaid for that in later years, as I conquered that disability and became fitter, although not necessarily bigger, just more intent on proving a point.

I'm out.

Richard
                          Participant

I am having a poor week one way and another. Daughter has entered her ‘verge of melt down season’ and my wife has not reacted at all well to the mix of heat and chemo in spite of our air conditioning. The dogs are doing OK except that they eat all they can close to sun up and repeat the process at sun down when they think it might be a good idea to burn off some of the energy. If they are lucky I get them out when I can, so far I have kept up the two half hour sniff and walk session per dog per day, but only just.

I had a small operation six weeks ago and was due a follow up appointment on Tuesday. I had no less than six text messages asking me to confirm I would be there, thanking for confirming, etc. Then yesterday they rang, a voice call this time,’Sorry the clinic has been cancelled until further notice.’ so was it skin cancer or was it not? Perhaps I will never know. At least the bowel scan came back clear, or in other words, no reason for the pain and give up looking. Still they did manage to over state my weight by including shoes, clothes, change,(of which there is lots with all the hospital parking needs), keys, etc. and still come up with a (Gross loaded)BMI that is 5 points higher than my real BMI this morning. Today’s was based on the right height and this morning’s actual body weight, not some Gross fully loaded body including everything weight and a reduced height. So confidence has dropped a number of notches.

That was before my wife was told that next week there is only one oncologist and that is why she did not get her expected Monday afternoon pre-Wednesday infusion appointment. She is now shoe horned into Tuesday lunchtime, so cancellation of my Tuesday appointment is a blessing of sorts, as the two hospitals are 20 plus miles apart.

Ed P
                            Participant

Richard if you are not taking probiotics/yoghurt then start, also *warm miso  soup helps repopulate the lower intestine who’s good bugs are very vulnerable to antibiotics. If these are not in good shape then 4am stomach gripes are a common symptom.

*a spoonful of brown miso in a cup of hot (NOT boiling) water gives a fair helping of good bugs . (Warning it does lower the heart rate over a period of regular use – possibly due to arterial cholesterol being removed. The heart rate lowering effect  is scientifically noted the reason has not so far been researched afaik.)

Richard
                              Participant

I follow your line of thinking there but the pain is not the stomach organs as such but off to the side right against the hip. The surgery chap thought it might come from my spinal problems I have lived with for the past 14 years. To be honest it is not so much a pain which would be like some one sticking a sharp thing, but an ongoing ache like that very slightly and slowly varies pressure, but to the touch nothing. I see the spinal bloke in a couple of weeks anyway so perhaps he can shed some light on the matter, he did mumble about perhaps running another MRI to see if things are still as just as crap as they were or going further down hill.

I suspect there could be some negative developments in that area.

My wife’s ongoing treatment is the biggest concern at the moment; my speed bumps are just ‘other distractions’ for the moment. I need to ‘vent’ sometimes, but I take on board your comments as another vector to consider and perhaps explore.

Bob Williams
                                Participant

Bad day today: everything hurts, both Prostate, Stoma and bowels playing up. I went back to bed and slept from about 9:30 to 3:20. Feel better, but still crook.

I can poo for England, 3 Stoma pouch changes since last night. Think that the chemo tablets are doing this.

I'm out.

Richard
                                  Participant

I guess your comments on the football thread elsewhere suggest, (and I trust that) you are over the major part of those discomforts referred to above. I noted your comments about avoiding crowds – e.g. hospital waiting rooms full of sick people with overlong waits; oh let me think about that one for a minute. My wife is now at the halfway point of her initial treatment plan, she starts another phase in two weeks time. Apparently phase 1 was an accelerated plan. Last night was a no sleep maximum discomfort one. Even bears with sore heads are advised to avoid the area or get very short shrift. I moved an old router that is just used as a switch come access point to a WiFi null area. Wow did the balloon reach new heights, but at least the original problems have been solved, the Amazon Fire stick is happy! The dogs are close to comatose this morning, they did not expect regular chances to view the garden lights during the night while actually in the garden.

The Duke
                                    Participant

My youngest boy is now 16, since he was nine they keep looking into autism, as try school put him for ward each year. Every year we got a letter telling us to expect a letter. We are yet to ever receive any follow up letter.

PlaneMan
                                      Participant

You probably need to be an annoyance to get anything done Steve. The way the NHS is that seems to be the future.

Bob, I know what you mean about needing a sit down visit, since I started on the methotrexate (originally a chemo only drug) I need 4-6 trips a day, it used to be 2 at most. Longer car journeys like the recent one to Bristol Airport and back need careful planning.

The Duke
                                        Participant

I know, sadly for him, we have that much going on for 6 years or more, that has always just been forgotten about.

He isn’t bad, but he is on the spectrum. Mix that with his bad dyslexia, it became an issue in some class. And always came out in annoying the teachers. He doesn’t seem to have a filter between his brain and mouth.

As he was very good with number, horrendous with words (yes even worse than me lol, his writing age is on par with his 10 year old sisters.) school just wanted rid of him in the end, so they put him through for his maths higher level papers in the 4th year, then offloaded him to college.

I was in favour as school was a waist of time for him and the school. So last year he studied a level maths, along side enginering.

As he was interested in both, he enjoyed studying for the first time since probably the infant school.

Also he has grown a lot as a person, being taken out of his school routeen, and dropped in to a more adult oriented setting.

It is strange when your 15 year old has class Mates older than me. The majority are 18 and 19. So as much had he has come on, he now thinks more like a 19 year old, and wants the freedoms of one.

Now that he is officially of school leaving age, I’ll threaten treat him as such. Pre that, he hated being treated as a 15/16 year old, with 19 friends. I can understand his frustrations.

It is strange to have older kids picking up your 15/6yo on their cars etc… It felt a bit American high school.

Oh well, 4 left school, one to go! I could of been free now if it wasn’t for that night! Hence the large gap between the last two. Wouldn’t change her for the world though

PlaneMan
                                          Participant

Steve, take your lad to the GP, explain why you think he needs an assessment, better still let him do the talking if he can. I know full well what happens under stressful situations.

Ed, thanks for the Miso tip, tried some today and it’s lovely. That’s going to be my first drink of the day from now on. Could only get expensive sachets so will order some from Amazon in a jar.

Ed P
                                            Participant

Waitrose does brown miso in big jars. link

I find it very tasty. (Umami taste apparently), Don’t worry about the salty flavour scientific testing shows that  it has zero effect on blood pressure.

Viewing 20 replies - 221 through 240 (of 467 total)
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                            Forumite