Forumite

Arthritis?

HOME Forums Health and Well being Ailments Arthritis?

This topic contains 405 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 6 days, 22 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Some will remember my topic on MM about my hands (and now hip).

I saw the consultant today and my hip is mildly wrecked. The cartilage on the ‘socket’ part is worn and has a tear in it. That explains the increased pain I have while walking and moving it anyway apart from straight forward  or back. The consultant was happy to say it was a ‘one of those things’ situation until I showed him my swollen ,bright red fingers.

I had bloods done and I’m having a MRI on my hands tomorrow. The first one was done when the fingers weren’t inflamed so he’s hoping that something will show this time.

I’m seeing the physio monday and the consultant a week today, hopefully it’s better news than the referral to a surgeon which was going to happen today but has been delayed while I continue to confuse medical science.  :unsure:

Viewing 20 replies - 341 through 360 (of 405 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,016

I’ve just got back from seeing the Rheumatology consultant and I’ve now been diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia.

Another one for the ever growing list…..

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

Yes it can be very painful and what is worse very hard to control as medicines do not always work as hoped. With some luck it may ease off over the coming weeks, without that luck I hope you can find another way to ease things. Is it a general issue, i.e. affecting a wide area or is it narrowed down to particular area(s)?

Some years back I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia, which can be a life long situation, though happily for me it abated after a relatively short period. It appears it might have been triggered by some dental need and possibly relieved by a dental intervention. It was extremely painful and debilitating while a guest in my person.

Good luck with that one.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks Richard.

It’s all over, some areas like my back, neck and shoulders are the worst but others like wrists, knees and ankles are catching up quickly.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,729

My missus has Fibromyalgia Nolan, has suffered with it for years. Unfortunately the injections did nothing for her. Last January she had a new hip and I have taken her back to the GP several times after the pain has not subsided with time. GP has sent her for Physio, (made it worse) ultrasound and now he has fixed an MRI scan for next week. The consultant who gave her the new hip was insistent that nothing was wrong: said once that she had “soft bones”. I asked for a medical definition of that, to include in a diagnosis, which appeared to upset him. I have to say that our GP’s are very good, they always support us in dealing with their supposed ‘betters’.

It’s the Rheumatoid that is tormenting me atm: fingers and toes are really painful. I need some sun!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Bob, the consultant was happy with my rheumatoid, that’s the hip and hands, but also told me that I have osteoarthritis in many other joints, right wrist being potentially the worst ATM.

I’m currently in agony after the examination earlier on.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,729

Nolan it’s the osteoarthritis that led to aggravating my spinal injury and shortened my height by almost 2″.

I hope you are feeling less pain very soon mate.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks Bob.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Had and National Exercise Referral Scheme appointment today at a local leisure centre.  The place looks it should belong in Russia in the 60’s.

Woman was very good and after some basic health tests showed me around the gym. Bloody hell, it’s awesome. Not very big but lots of stuff in there and doesn’t feel cramped. I’ve never been a gym person, I’d rather be out and about but circumstances have put me where I am so I have to try and make the best of it.

I’ve been advised after trying a few machines to stick with what I know, cycling and weight bearing  and gradually increase resistance/ weight.

Best bit? £2 a session for 16 weeks, if I continue I get a rate  of £15 a month instead of £20.

I’ll see how I go and if I get on with the space/ noise and get the inside info from the staff about quite times I can see me being there for years.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,976

That sounds great, especially the fact that they’re paying attention and not just trying to get you on any old regimen.

Have you tried noise cancelling headphones? I got a pair to try with Alice when we had to fly recently, and even a bad pair made a huge difference with background noise. If I go down the gym route in September, I’ll probably invest in a decent pair (if not I’ll probably have loads of random cycling questions, so brace yourself! 😛 )

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 8,707

There are also apps such as Zombies, Run! which could distract you from the gym noise.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

I tried white noise apps before, they just annoyed me.

The cycle machines have a large touchscreen on them and they have different scenery and terrain you can choose from or you can watch YouTube or Netflix. (Apparently, I didn’t see that working).

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Saw the GP yesterday and I’m starting on Duloxetine for the fibromyalgia on Monday.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

The duloxetine didn’t last long.

Had very bad side effects including strong muscle tremors, headache, dry mouth and not sleeping for 48 hours. My anxiety also increased noticeably.

Saw the pharmacist this morning and she advised stopping them and seeing the GP again.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I was sorry to hear that, it would be the last thing you wanted. A failure to treat and side effects like those. Get hounding the GP (in the nicest sort of urgent way) as clearly you need a better option. Those issues all appeared very much related to each other, more like nerve agents and pretty horrid.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks Richard.

Managed to book an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I was very lucky, must be a cancellation.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Now have Amitriptyline to start next week.

See how that goes.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,434

The wife took that a while back, but didn’t get on with it. She felt woolly headed and dopey in the mornings.

THIS gives a good write up on it.

Good luck.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I was given Amitriptyline a while back but did not find it that helpful to assist with sleep, but recently my wife finished up my old stock before starting on her own supply for similar issues to yours. She really finds it helps her with sleeping and has been getting through the night for the first time in several years without pain waking her.

I have said before that many drugs are highly selective and personal when it comes to how effective they are. Some pain killers will knock some out, make others high as kites but have no useful effect on others. Tramadol stopped my stomach but did nothing else, strong sedatives sent eldest daughter bat-sh*t-crazy when she was small in a did not try this at home but in a hospital event.

Getting the right thing for you is always going to be a slow titration process, also known as suck it and see.

Hope this one goes well for you.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks both.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Had the first Amitriptyline last night, was due to start Monday but I had to take mum to the hospital Tuesday morning so didn’t want to run the risk of unknown side effects when driving.

I’m happy to say so far no side effects which are obvious. There are some signs but they are close to issues I normally have so can’t be put down to the new medication.

Pain relief could be a long time coming but so far, for once, it’s looking hopeful.

Viewing 20 replies - 341 through 360 (of 405 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!