Arthritis?

HOME Forums Health and Well being Ailments Arthritis?

This topic contains 330 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 day, 12 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Some will remember my topic on MM about my hands (and now hip).

I saw the consultant today and my hip is mildly wrecked. The cartilage on the ‘socket’ part is worn and has a tear in it. That explains the increased pain I have while walking and moving it anyway apart from straight forward  or back. The consultant was happy to say it was a ‘one of those things’ situation until I showed him my swollen ,bright red fingers.

I had bloods done and I’m having a MRI on my hands tomorrow. The first one was done when the fingers weren’t inflamed so he’s hoping that something will show this time.

I’m seeing the physio monday and the consultant a week today, hopefully it’s better news than the referral to a surgeon which was going to happen today but has been delayed while I continue to confuse medical science.  :unsure:

My Instagram

My YouTube

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 330 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,482

It is worth doing a little research on what is being ingested as ‘Boron’!

Borax (sodium borate decahydrate) is the stuff your mother may have used around the house to boost the action of her detergent (normally soap & water). It works by turning warm/hot water into peroxide bleach. Borax is poisonous to humans (more so to some animals). The estimated lethal dose (ingested) for adults is 15-20 grams; less than 5 grams can kill a child or pet. Signs of poisoning include chronic coughs, watery eyes etc.

Bottom line DO NOT OVERDOSE (15 grms is about 3 teaspoons)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Ed P.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,550

Thanks for the info.

I’ll see what the Doc thinks next week, have to be careful because of the ever increasing range of medication I’m on.

Recently found out that I’m severely vitamin d deficient so now taking that as well.  Also I was suffering badly with mouth ulcers, side effect of the methotrexate – so I’m told, so had to up my folic acid.

The pain is getting worse every day, the rate at which it’s getting worse seems to be slowing down a little, which is nice.

Seeing the surgeon the start of next month. At least I think it’s the surgeon. Can’t find out for certain and no-one want’s to tell me one way or the other. :wacko:

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,650

It is worth doing a little research on what is being ingested as ‘Boron’! Borax (sodium borate decahydrate) is the stuff your mother may have used around the house to boost the action of her detergent (normally soap & water). It works by turning warm/hot water into peroxide bleach. Borax is poisonous to humans (more so to some animals). The estimated lethal dose (ingested) for adults is 15-20 grams; less than 5 grams can kill a child or pet. Signs of poisoning include chronic coughs, watery eyes etc. Bottom line DO NOT OVERDOSE (15 grms is about 3 teaspoons)

Useful stuff ED, though the quoted product did talk of mg not grams!

I had not had time to look further though I had a nagging doubt about elemental forms of boron and some chemical formulations. I was a little surprised to find the referenced item was a vegetable supplement.

One of the issues with trace elements (and some vitamins) is that enough is plenty, too little can be dodgy and too much is fatal. Few people manage to understand the latter point saying only that it is ‘natural’, – so is cyanide.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,650

Edit; Post removed as it was a double post, due to first try returning a server error response, sorry.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Richard.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,482

True Richard – it is also true that most (all?) medicines are poisonous. I was just injecting an element of caution.

Milligram levels of trace elements are often very good for you. Magnesium is a good example, 500mg (tenth of a teaspoon) of Epsom Salts daily will probably cut the risk of heart attacks – 10 grams would give you horrible ‘trots’!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,277

Jay Cee Dee:

John thanks for that, I have printed off that whole Post and will read it closely with my SWMBO. Both of us have problems, SWMBO’s exacerbated by a bungled op on her right (master) hand which brought about her retirement from a job she loved as PA to 3 people. She cannot use her right hand much at all now.

Ed and Richard, thanks for the input. I take note of the dosage and will refrain from ingesting more, should we decide to go the Boron route. Regarding trace elements and their uses in the humn body: it is not widely known, but wheat grown in the UK, Europe and much of the Middle East, has greatly – reduced levels of Selenium, due to depletion in the soil. This is apparently caused by the much longer cultivation in those areas, whilst the USA, Canada, Australia, NZ and other places have not been cultivating the land for centuries and their soils are not so depleted.

https://tinyurl.com/kuknp2n     – As with all such substances, a little is good, a lot is very bad, toxic in fact. It appears that the correct amount needed by the body, calls for a very fine judgement.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 213

Thanks for the info. I’ll see what the Doc thinks next week, have to be careful because of the ever increasing range of medication I’m on. Recently found out that I’m severely vitamin d deficient so now taking that as well. Also I was suffering badly with mouth ulcers, side effect of the methotrexate – so I’m told, so had to up my folic acid. The pain is getting worse every day, the rate at which it’s getting worse seems to be slowing down a little, which is nice. Seeing the surgeon the start of next month. At least I think it’s the surgeon. Can’t find out for certain and no-one want’s to tell me one way or the other. :wacko:

I presume you have the name of the doctor you are seeing.   If it’s a surgeon then it will be Mr, Mrs, Miss or Ms.   If its Dr. then its not a surgeon.     See here for more info.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks VFM, in that case it’s a surgeon.  :good:

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

I’m still waiting to see a surgeon. Had an appointment early May but it was cancelled the day before by a giggling fool who thought it was funny that I’d been given an appointment to see the foot surgeon.  :wacko:

Nothing else the consultant can do apart from drugs, methotrexate, 20 mg once a week ATM. Hate the stuff, have to take vitamin D and folic acid to counteract the bad effects and it wipes me out for about 14 hours. No positive effects yet but it can take a while, so I’ve been told.

On the up side I found out today I’ve won my PIP appeal!  :yahoo:  :good:

Not the outcome I was expecting, better than I hoped for so it’s okay with me. Should be able to get a blue badge for when I use mum’s car also.  :yahoo:

My Instagram

My YouTube

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 956

Great result – there is some justice!! :good:

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Great result – there is some justice!! :good:

In the appeal system, yes, there is.

For the poor gits that can’t get that far, for whatever reason, there is none. It’s a truly grueling process, designed to make you give up.

And thanks.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Great news PM, now you join those of us who get the “so what’s wrong with him?” looks from some able-bodied people!

SWMBO is quick to catch those looks, she adopts the “over-caring” solicitous tone – “Are you allright dear? Is it too much for you? Can you manage? Lean on me if you must.” (She’s 4’9″)

I answer through gritted teeth usually…

One of these days I will lean on her, then we will both be on the deck! :wacko:  :yahoo:

Glad you had that result though.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 956

No worries – we went through a similar process, right through to Tribunal, when the wife was first diagnosed and told to stop work, change lifestyle, de-stress etc. Her consultant at the Royal National EN&T hospital backed her case for DLA, ( it would have been at the lower level, as she had mobility, just couldn’t work or get around by herself.) Her GP also backed her claim, but it got refused. It was turned down on appeal and refused at Tribunal. It transpired that it would only have been for a couple of years until all the changes recommended by the consultant had the desired effect but no joy.

That was 2 – 3 crappy years I can tell you, so I totally get how you’re currently feeling.

You’re absolutely right, we were told, by a relative we discovered, who worked for the DWP, that a high percentage of claims were turned back on both application and appeal, playing the numbers so most gave up at that stage, not being either strong enough or durable enough to go through a lengthy and debilitating appeals process. :negative:

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Guess I was “lucky” to apply when it was DLA. Took me 13 months to get DLA and Incapacity Benefit. (as it was then) I eventually changed to a consultant who cared enough to give me solid back up and a GP who never faltered: both of them bombarded DWP with letters, photographs and signed diagnoses. Back-paid of course, but we still almost lost the house before we got that. If it had not been for my wonderful, supportive FIL, we could well have been homeless. I was 3 days from a Tribunal and had photocopied everything, ensured they knew that. They paid me, then when we moved to Lincs, they sent a payment book to the P.O. in my old village. I never had a payment book, it had all gone into the bank! 2 years later, payments stopped, after they sent my payments to another account. That took months and a letter to the DWP Minister before I got paid again. I detest the DWP with a passion, and I keep a close eye on all my payments. Some of that happened under a Labour government, some under the Tories.

I always remember that truly horrible time, when I see a homeless person and cannot help giving a bit. We had a son who kept being made redundant after his first good job went, a daughter in training. Son even went packing veg and fruit in Lincolnshire, drove from our Notts village every day, took 9 more Mansfield area lads to the fields, drove them all home, had to fill up and check the minibus before taking it back. Sometimes he came home at midnight, absolutely shattered. All for a pittance, Agency Gangmasters, Barstewards. Makes me angry when people say that ‘foreign workers do jobs our idle people won’t touch.’ Not all the same. And that was under B.Liar’s misrule.

Sorry, but I cannot being angry about all that. Vented now, going for a walk. :wacko:  B-)

PlaneMan
    @planeman

My tribunal was heard on Monday, as has been said it’s a bitch to get that far. My face to face assessment was a farce, the interviewer made up lots of stuff and mixed things up so that it sounded like I was better off than I was.

I was getting DLA but because of a change in circumstances (hip being nadgered) I informed the DWP and was denied PIP outright, no points at all, despite a long medical history. Even the mandatory reconsideration came back with no points at all. The tribunal awarded me 16 points, 8 for both mobility and daily living. DWP weren’t even close!!!

My case was settled relatively quickly, just over a year. I’ve seen reports of some cases dragging on for many years, that’s criminal IMO.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,977

Well done. My wife’s case went on for about 3 years. It was a real pain. We went round in circles, no no no no the one day oh yes full! Asked about back pay, iirc they gave her 3 months. The benifit is tiny aswel, or so wife says (never seen it!)  but the badge is good for her. But boy do I get the look from people while I’m sat in the car waiting!

They are still trying to get £60odd off me back from 2001. Evey to year since 2010 they send me a letter saying they over paid me job seekers, over the couple of months I was on it. Every year I reply with you can’t wait 9 years and ask for money back, look at your own back pay situation. Words to that effect. I’ll await new April’s letter.

I’m sure their call staff are there not to help thoughs that need it, but to save the public purse money. Which isn’t there job, it’s not their money. They should ask what is wrong/situation, and give them a run down of what benefits are avalible for them. But oh no, trying to find out the entitled benefits is like pulling teeth. They keep the benefits secret untill you ask about them.

Personally they whole system need nuking and bringing under one system.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

The way they calculate back pay is also a con, depending on your situation.

Because I was on low mobility DLA and had to switch to PIP when I notified them of my change in circumstances they kept on paying me DLA until the final decision that the DWP can make, the mandatory reconsideration.

From that date onward it was treated as  a PIP claim outright, not a switch from DLA. That means that back pay can only be paid from that date, not from the original claim date so I lost out on about 6 months of back pay. So to save millions (and deny help to those that need it) all they have to do is look at the people that have a very strong case for more or the same amount of £ when switching from DLA and deny them everything. Stall for as long as possible also saves millions, Wait for people to give up saves millions. Lying saves millions.

This is all completely legal. No way to claim the extra months of back pay exists.

Thanks everyone, and if anyone needs help with PIP I have some pointers- I’m no expert but picked up a few things along the way.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by PlaneMan.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

PM the situation you describe, regarding back dated payments, sounds disgraceful. I understand clearly now why they went from DLA (a broken system) to PIP (a system whose breakages they can implement and control). Under DLA and before PIP came in, their own laws stated that each claim should be back dated to the date of the first claim. I was originally helped by a CAB expert: a retired solicitor who had made himself an expert in the field. He told me to photocopy every document I received and every form I filled in, then answer in the same way every time they asked for the same information. I actually scanned and downloaded every document and still have it all on disc and backup. I know that it does not look as if I will need it now, but I do not trust the government – any government – to abide by even their own rules.

There are some proposals I can agree with: eg, Winter Fuel Payments. That was £100 each that helped us at Christmas, but losing it would not make great inroads into our finances. IF – a big IF – it was taken away and the difference given as help to those in real poverty, I would be in favour. However, that is not going to happen, is it? The money will disappear into the Treasury and be swallowed by the black hole that is government (mis) spending. Better to stop paying Overseas Aid to all those countries which either hate us, or spend it on bigger dicator’s palaces and weapons to dominate their own people or their neighbours.

Wow this turned into my second rant of the day here: sorry guys.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Bob, the whole PIP system is designed to break people. If I weren’t such a stubborn git at times I’d have quit months ago. It also helps that my mother is almost as stubborn so would give me a nudge when I felt like giving in. I really feel for the people who have no support or don’t even know where to look in the first place.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

As predicted by my mother the DWP are being gits, they have asked for ‘A statement of reasons’, this means the want to check that the tribunal has applied the law correctly to my appeal. Of course they won’t pay any money owed or due until they have been through everything. My copy arrived yesterday so they now have a month to decide what they want to try next.

It also means that the automatic blue badge is out of the window as you need an award letter from the DWP.

Luckily enough someone at Cardiff Council has a brain and I now have a Blue Badge, awarded under the discretionary rules.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love