Forumite

Audio out conversions

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Audio out conversions 2johnbarry
    @johnbarry

I have one of these Coolhead Wireless Blutooth I plug the 3.5mm jack into my TV and use blutooth headphones.

I am looking at my Sky Q box, it has to USB ports. I am wondering if I purchased one of these USB to 3.5mm jack and plugged it into the skyq box (USB) then to the Coolhead 3.55mm, would I get sound from the skyq box or are the SkyQ USBs input only.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Audio out conversions 3blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,338

I don’t think the USB ports on the Q are active John – not sure if they can be used to charge even – but Im pretty sure you can’t connect any peripherals to them. If you want to take audio out your best bet would be to use the optical out connector and then a converter – something like this. As usual recommend Amazon for easy returns in case you’re not happy. Never used one so not sure if there are any issues with audio sync – reviews seem positive though.

Participant
    Audio out conversions 4The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,396

I’ve never had a Q box, but I do recall all the sky plus and sky HD boxes had usb ports, but they was all inactive. I always assumed they was put in there just incase they wanted to use it in future. Or maybe a sky engineer could put it into some diagnostic mode to test stuff. Either way, they never worked for the consumer. And I don’t recall ever seeing anyone get them going.

So I’d assume, even if the Q was active in anyway, it’s wouldn’t work like a usb port on Windows work. Ie any type of flexibility. Also I’m sure the sky box would need some type of driver to get a thing more than charging or external storage working.

Not that I think even usb storage is active, but i recon it’s possible it could be dormant.

In this day and age, I’d be a bit let down if it dint At least work as a charger.but not surprised if it didn’t even do that.

I think they are just left on the spec sheet, just incase they decided to activate them, then it’s just a software patch.

Participant
    Audio out conversions 5Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,572

If you Google it then the Sky Q USB port does nothing and is not internally enabled. Rumour is that at one time Sky was going to provide a modem to plug into their USB port but that idea foundered and just left the port!

Participant
    @sgb101

That makes total sense ed.

Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 4,458

Thanks all for the info.

blacklion I will try the DAC Digital SPDIF, should be more promising than a dead USB port.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    @blacklion1725

Be curious to know how you get on John – you’ll have to mute the TV sound (or lower to zero) assuming you don’t want others to hear what you get through the headphones – and so not sure how you’ll control the headphone volume (unless you have headphones or an adapter with inline volume control – they are available)…….I think at least – was the case pre-Q.

Participant
    @johnbarry

You talking about mute, you get an annnoying top left, I plug a 3.55 jack plug in the TV that will mute.

yes I do have a jack in the TV I use at the moment, I am hoping to improve the sound.

Also I am now thinking Volume Control.

I purchased bluetooth headphones but had trouble pairing, I returned them and had a refund, they had volume control on, I now have other bluetooth headphones, sadly they have no volume control, I have to use the TV up/down.

Not sure if I am going to struggle with toslink from sky q, I have never noticed a volume contol on Q. I think the idea is to go to an amplifier, I already have an adapter to hifi (amp) and you use the Hifi volume up/down to control volume out of Sky Q SPIF.

Sadly not realizing the bluetooth headphones has no volume, I am not sure how I am going to control the volume out the sky box.

The DAC Digital SPDIF is my my Amazon list, until I need additionals to get free post, also while I think or look into controling volume, as I inted to use the 3.5 out the Dac to bluetooth.

Edit:

Also the power source for the Dac is USB and they don’t work in Q

Cheers
    John

Participant
    @blacklion1725

John – the USB power lead will work with any cheap usb charger like this (you’ve probably got one lying about). On the TV muting, if you turn the volume right down using volume-down rather than mute you should lose the annoying “mute” icon on the screen.

On the volume control, are you sure the headphones don’t have a volume control, every pair (a lot!) I’ve had always do – even the tiny nano ear pieces. Sometimes the button’s are multifunction (e.g. short pres for next track, long press for volume up). Worth double checking.

Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Blacklion

Of course, I recently purchased a 3in1 USB-plug. The trouble is I have no spare sockets near the TV, I need ot sort it.

Of course, it does have volume it shares with previous song (button) well it’s connfusing a) you can’t see on the headphone and b) it says Long Press (Volume Down) or another button Long press (Volume down) I will have to try it/them I am sure one should say volume up.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    @johnbarry

Be curious to know how you get on John –

I got round to ordering a DAC Digital SPDIF, soon be able to let you know how it goes.

As for the headphones (new) the volume up/down doesn’t to work I don’t think the ffw rwd work either, I need to look deeper.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    @johnbarry

Be curious to know how you get on John –

The DAC Digital SPDIF, works a treat from SkyQ . To mute the sound off the TV I just turn TV volume to Zero.

Sadly no volume control from Sky so the noise is low, I tried to turn up the volume with my wireless headphones. The volume up/down on the headphones don’t work, they’re going back (2nd set in as many months).

Maybe bluetooth headphones aint what I thought, perhaps I should go back to wired.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    @blacklion1725

Glad you are getting somewhere John – I think it is worth sticking with the bluetooth idea – all the ones I’ve had have had excellent gain on the volume side (i.e. go louder than wired) and the volume control has been fine. Worth trying yours to see if the volume works when paired with another device like a smartphone (just to eliminate the bluetooth transmitter as the cause – unlikely but worth checking). If the headphones are duff I’ve used several different Taotronics sets (Duke recommended a few years back) – sound quality and volume control been AOK (they weren’t up to gym use but fine for home/garden).

Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks blacklion

The heaphones are all packed ready to go back, had a probe (Taotronics) a bit above my price.

I have my eye on these (once I get refund) I like the slide volume rather than button.

I am using some old wired headphones for now.

Cheers
    John

Participant
    @sgb101

Currently Sat enjoying some ok beer (blame wife) somewhere south east of Paris looking out over the countryside with a pair of teotronics I’m my ears. I got to the point in the end.

Participant
    @johnbarry

Currently sat enjoying a coffee, somewhere in the Midlands looking out at the Blue Sky.

Sadly nothing in my ears,

curious as to why we should blame your wife. Is she forcing you to drink beer? (that’s a first).

Cheers
    John

Participant
    Audio out conversions 18Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

Currently sat cooking with a glass of iced Spring water in desktop room/gd’s occasional bedroom, having returned from a day that included a visit to Grimsby Pathology for bloods at 11 am (because I was told to get there before 12 noon) then clinic at 14:20, to see clinical Macmillan nurse for results.** This meant a wait from 11:30-ish to 14:20, so we went into Freshney Mall in Grimsby for lunch, then returned.

Blood results discover that one of my white cell types is very low, next week’s chemo cancelled until another blood session next Monday and another clinic visit at 14:20. ** Now informed that I don’t have to go for bloods on Mondays until just before the clinic visit, as chemo is not until Wednesday, giving plenty of time for results to reach them. Was confused, but the the efficiency with which they organised and then reorganised it all, was inspiring.

At the hospital, outside temp was 35°C! Apparently lots of elderly heatstroke patients being brought to A&E. Got home to a cooler (!) 30°C, had a cold drink, went to pick up No.2 gson from work. This big lad was absolutely covered in sweat, having worked outside on top of a huge generator all day. We stopped at our village shop and he ate 2 ice creams straight off. Blue skies outside this window, sun pouring in around a half-closed curtain, now 29°C.

Yesterday after our Sutton on Sea visit, we had flying ants in the house, on the South-facing lounge window. Seems that I killed the big nest outside last year when I incinerated millions of the buggas and sterilised the ground a Metre down, but remnants have got into my soffits and fascias. I hoovered them all up into our (EU says illegally overpowered) Chinese Vax vacuum. Estimated around 40 altogether, which is about 10x less than last year. No more spotted since, I must be winning.

See if they like that.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @sgb101

Wow 35 is hot, it was 32 earlier and I hid from it. Currently 28 and I’m still dying having a beef or 10. Got a 10h drive starting at 8am.

Participant
    Audio out conversions 20Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,517

Steve, I am not sure if you are tracking us or we are tracking you but the temperature is about the same with my office being a degree or so hotter.

Time to give up, the dogs and everybody else appears a bit stroppy tonight, fed up with the heat perhaps?

Participant
    Audio out conversions 21Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,896

Thanks blacklion The heaphones are all packed ready to go back, had a probe (Taotronics) a bit above my price. I have my eye on these (once I get refund) I like the slide volume rather than button. I am using some old wired headphones for now.

Don’t know if these are any good, but they were in an email on sale

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/urbanz-wireless-bluetooth-4-1-headphones-black-MAX/BLACK

They can be wired too

Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Ryan

Not bad, great price including freepost, so I had some. I added myself to the mailing list, see what’s cheap next.

I love a bargain.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.