Forumite

Back to vinyl

HOME Forums TV, Film and Music Music Back to vinyl

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

I’ve been trying to lay my hands on a turntable that will connect to BT speakers for months. HMV sell them, but when I tried they had none, telling me that the supplier had gone into administration and they didn’t know if or when they’d be back.

Yesterday there was a record fair in town, and I went for a look. Bought an Iron Maiden album, thinking I could guilt my better half into buying me something to play it on. On impulse, I popped into HMV and lo and behold, the turntables were back (well, one was) so bought.

Back to the record fair and a Guns & Roses album was added.

This is the first vinyl I’ve bought in more than 20 years, and it’s so nice to get back to the rich sound missing in digital music.

Oh, and she’s off the hook.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 18 replies - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,336

I was being Ironic. 🙂

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 13,425

I am not commenting on oxygen -free cables, but I once bought some fine copper dust to use in a project. It was quite startling on how quickly it became almost non-conductive and useless for my intentions of using it to paint circuits.

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 2,449

Wow. I forgot how much more alive War of the Worlds was on Vinyl. I originally bought it on tape, then Vinyl, then CD. The tape and vinyl versions are long gone, but lo and behold, local Asda had it on Vinyl for £13 last week, so of course, I bought it. Just got around to playing it, and the CD can barely see its’ heels for dust.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Wo, you must of had serious issues with your didgital set up.

Some times we cannot see the wood for the trees so to speak.

But yeah, if Vinl is floating your boat then thats all good. 🙂

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

It’s not that there is anything wrong with my digital system, and in fact the vinyl uses the same sub and speakers, but the dynamic range of analogue compared to digital is so noticeable with this album it’s untrue.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 10,858

I thought I read a few years ago, all vinal presses are now taken form the same digital source that  cds are, not form the master recording or analog recordings ect.. So in reality there should be know difference at all.

I think it was on a show where Neil Young (I think) was speaking about hi fidelity digital recordings and players.

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

Maybe it’s the pops and crackles that add the warmth, then. My next step is to acquire original vinyl, not re-mastered.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Yeah, there is a good chance that the album will be from digital remaster source. So the sound will be better, but as we know vinyl cannot hold as much Sound info as CD.

But back to your Digital set up. On what you have said then the problem with it will be the DAC and what ever software api was used in its manufacture. So to speak.

I think digital recordings happend with and from year of Karma Chameleon.

Makes me laugh that the best spoken english man was Richard Burton. When he is a Welsh man.

They also say if you want to meet a true brit then its a welsh man.

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

My digital setup is via my PC, running Linux and Pulseaudio 5:1 surround. The sound is pretty good, but as I said, digital lacks the complete dynamic range of analogue, most noticeable at the top end rather than the bottom end. Bass is easy digitally, treble less so. probably because bass is not positionable (you can put a sub anywhere in the room with no noticeable difference, but misplace the treble and you will certainly hear it)

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

For the best sound quality the API must get close to the metal so to speak and that means the sound card must support asio or wasapi. Maybe with linux something is not right. I have tried linux in the past, but I find only windows gives full accurate support.

Its probabley fair to say that if the sound your HiFi makes Hits The Spot. Then your HiFi is as good as it need to be. Be it: Vinyl, Digital, Real to real, or what ever. 🙂

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 7,570

I have the answer to fidelity issues, too many Motorhead concerts in your youth.

Saved me a fortune on posh kit.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,140

The loudest concert I ever heard was Depech Mode at Hammersmith Odeon, the bass actually made my trousers flap 😁

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 11,936

I have the answer to fidelity issues, too many Motorhead concerts in your youth. Saved me a fortune on posh kit.

😀 Me too Dave, too many Stones, Who, Clapton & other concerts. Range firing every 3 months for 12 years didn’t help, engine noise in garage work and AAC heli’s.  Headphones without my Hearing Aids are my best chance of listening properly. In the car on my own, out come the H. A’s and on goes some rock. Loud: has to be or I wouldn’t hear it enough to sing along. One conversation with a neighbour, as I came home once and opened the car door without switching off the music:

“Are you f ‘in deaf?”

“WHAT?”

“I SAID, ARE YOU F’IN DEAF?”

(Switch off music) – “What?”     –    “I said, are you f’in deaf?”    “What?”     “Oh, get stuffed!”

“What?”  –  I don’t think he ever understood that I could hear him perfectly well. If he had not been the one objectionable, obnoxious neighbour that no one liked, I would have answered him properly.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

+1, that and working around gas & steam turbines in the days before ear defenders and 80 decibels max exposure.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 11,936

Exactly, Ed. It’s the higher frequencies in the gas turbines that cause most damage. The RR Nimbus Mk. 10501 used in the Westland Scout, made my teeth itch if I was too close and it lifted vertically. Everyone on the Apron turning away with pained expressions. Of course we had ear defenders, which were mostly worn around the shoulders so that we could hear each other shout!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

I’ve recently discovered isopropyl alcohol (99.5%), which is damned good for cleaning records, but don’t drink it. Honestly, don’t. If it tastes like it smells it won’t be pleasant.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Just a tangent, I used to deliver concentrated champain in 40 galon barrels at 60% and yep it was most unpleasant.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

IPA is my go-to solvent. AS a solvent it is very weak and harms very few things unlike acetone which will turn most plastics into gunk.

Blend 99.5% 50:50 with distilled water and it makes a good general purpose cleaner for your PC and monitor screen.

[edit] I once worked for a period at British Nylon Spinners Pontypool. They took the nylon chips from ICI, mixed with additives as required (often TiO2 for whiteness and light fastness) and forced the molten mix through spinnerets to make nylon yarn.  I’m not sure why, but the spinning floor used copious quantities of unadulterated water azeotrope alcohol and there seemed to be a fair trade between them and other staff who had access to Barley Water – the net result was an evil vodka strength brew that could make your toes curl or turn you tea-total.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Ed P.
Viewing 18 replies - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.