Tech PC Talk Backups

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 4 months, 3 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 374 times

Viewing 5 posts - 10 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

Here’s what I think. It’s not saying that with a 5 x 10TB array 99% of files would be unreadable, that’s clearly nonsense. What I take it to mean is that there is a 99% chance that there are unreadable files on there.

So taking it back to someone with 2TB of files on a single drive, 1 out of 8 people will absolutely have some corrupt files. The problem is you can’t say who or how many or which ones (don’t give a damn about the temp drive). It’s Russian roulette.

For us the occasional photo is a PITA, for a Wedding photographer that could be a real reputation issue. For historical archives, even personal ones like Ed’s, it’s potentially devastating.

After the DVD dye issues we all see HDDs as a safe haven for our memories. Synology are just pointing out it isn’t necessarily so and there is an answer for those for who it really matters which doesn’t cost the earth.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 246
    • @dwynnehugh
      Forumite Coins: 78

Makes you wonder if in the ‘old days’ we were better off with albums!! 👅

To err is human, but forgiveness is not Tory policy!

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

This is the reason I have my family photos on a number of cloud sites Google, Flickr, then a mass dump on ms and mega.

I now upload all photos via my phone and my phone sends all pics to their relevant places. I’ll then take the tile to put pics into albums in Google and flickr. But leave the other two as one big blob of photos.

I no longer keep photos on a pc at home.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

Very similar approach Duke – I still keep a local PC version as I find it easier for uploading non-phone pics. If I’m away I always take my little compact 30x zoom camera, copy the pics to the my PC/server and upload to flickr/google/onedrive from there. For phone pics my approach is exactly the same as yours.

Very pleased that flickr is still around – got an email that Yahoo had sold it (I think) but hope it hangs on as it is a great service.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 298

Well I am left cursing the fact that I sold on the Slide & Negative Scanner * that I used to convert Fil’s old slides and neg’s to digital form. Daughter has just “found” some more slides, and even older B&W negatives. I considered buying another scanner, but would be faced with the same problem: when the “found” ones are converted, what use would it be? Have to sell another one, cheapest I have seen new is £55. So I asked at a Photographic shop in Louth: 100+ slides and 50+ neg’s, digitalised onto a CD and a USB drive, £80. Worth it to me, as they promise to use their software to edit each photo to make them all sparkly, better than my efforts. This way I can spread the pic’s around the family and let the grandbrats have a laugh at dad and auntie as babies and toddlers.

I have all our photos on my NAS, external Hdd and Google Drive.

*Thanks to someone here nagging me to move stuff on…

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Viewing 5 posts - 10 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 1
Sawboman
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,318, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm