Forumite

Base Clock Overclocking, what is this tepid new world of overclocking

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Base Clock Overclocking, what is this tepid new world of overclocking

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bartinili
    Participant
    @bartinili

Ok, so i was playing with my old rig and finally remembered how to do some rudimentary overclocking, and got it from 2.2 to 2.89Ghz which as far as i remember a bit lower than i used to get but anyway.  This was all using by de linking FSB and memory bus and pushing the FSB past the base setting.  It appears that overclocking these days is strictly limited to changing the CPU multiplier which never used to be the case back in the day. Unless you were all about the black edition AMDs but being a good intel boy i got an e4500 and pushed it to the limit (never past the point of no return).

I gather the FSB is not a thing any more?

Ive seen that some boards have shown they can do ‘base clock’ over clocking which sounds akin to linked usb clocking. is this the case? and is the modern day attitude of ‘Oh its dangerous and unstable and you should be scared to doing it because its not all plastic fantastic and boo hoo’ just because the builders have become a placid breed of noobs who don’t have the balls to put $$$ on the line by pushing voltages and parts to the limit?

I realise its probably a moot point given intel has cut off base clock overclocking (for the most part) but I’m still interested to understand the world i have come crashing back into like a wrecking ball.

Points if you see the top gun reference.

The old and wretched E4500 2.2 with a GTX750Ti
    Macbook Pro 2015 (i am a grown up now -.- ), Travelmate 8371G
    IPad Mini 2, Asus Nexus 2012

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,850

A lot of the reason overclocking isn’t as popular any more is it’s not really needed.

Off the shelf CPU power is more than enough for what most people do.

If you have workloads that need more threads than an i7 then there’s the Xeons.

The Xeon E5-2699A v4 has 22 cores with HTT so it can handle 44 threads and burst up to 3.6Ghz.

These days it’s all about saving power so you can put more processing into smaller form factors and last longer on a battery.

Bartinili
    Participant
    @bartinili
    Forumite Points: 4

but thats boring. Its actually hurting looking at a build and thinking, hmmm, isn’t that adequate, isn’t that just fine, isn’t that just a pretty lego set with a few flashy lights.

I want to be going hmmm, well i bet this could play crisis if i twiddled a few voltages and got my airflow just right.  It also seems to make pretty much an artificial motherboard and chipset hierarchy pushing the nicer features such as decent on board audio and lightening connectors to the higher end boards.

NVM, wine fixes all.

The old and wretched E4500 2.2 with a GTX750Ti
    Macbook Pro 2015 (i am a grown up now -.- ), Travelmate 8371G
    IPad Mini 2, Asus Nexus 2012

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,240

And this is the main reason pc mags are a dieing breed.  Hard wars has been good enough since the first gen core Intel cpus.

My gaming rig has a 9 year old processor in it and it still handles all the game.  Granted it is overclocked from 2.6Ghz to 3.8Ghz. But it’s been like that since day one.

I bought it thinking I’ll get 2 to 4 years out of it,  and evey year for the last 5, I’ve planned on building a new pc.  In 2015 I though it had had it, but I decided to replace the gpu first then the cpu/mobo.  And what do you know, the cpu was still up to the task.

The issue is, as Dave mentioned, the new architecture, through is more powerful today than 9 years ago, the main aim has been on efficiency, match that with software just isn’t pushing hardware like it once did.  There was a time the pc’s was on a 6 to 12 update cycle.

Now unless your rendering video or crunching some serious numbers an almost entry level dual core 4 thread intel chip will do all you need even game.

I see you way h alot of LTT,  so assume you seen the video they made lately testing the dual core gaming.  Vs the entry quad core Intel.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,849

If anything Underclocking is the new Overclocking getting things done on as little power as possible………….but of course mobo’s and cpu’s have long since been designed to do that.     To a large extent the fun has gone out of hardware – with one exception, the Raspberry Pi’s.   That’s where today’s hardware fun is to be found.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,240

@thevfmaddict I ran my i5 750 undercooked for about 4 years so I could run it far less, using just the huge titan Fenrir to cool it. It live in the longe and made a great media pc. The need for it has long gone.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!