BBC Laugh of the week!

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

You could not make this up.

https://tinyurl.com/y5tcmm9z

The longer I read into this, the more I found to laugh at. That a University (OK a US one) had carried out this “research”, was just unbelievable. Ridiculous. Outrageous. Scandalous. And very, very funny, although the good Doctor Kelly Lambert may not see it that way. I checked the calendar: no it’s still October, April 1st is months away.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    dwynnehugh
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 2,184

The moral here is so very simple:-

If you are prepared to fund it, someone will research it!!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

👍👍👍

EDIT: Thought occurred to me: how is that different to the human Wage Slave parking his car at a station and commuting to work in an overcrowded city? How long before the rats’ stress levels rise?

I do get these thoughts…

I'm out.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,615

They have to be male rats. I’ve heard to takes at least a year for the women rodents to pass.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,285

I miss my independence by not being able to ride a bike any more, car driving is just impossible. I would feel a lot less stressed if I could just jump into a vehicle and take myself off like the bro-in-law does (usually up here for a cup of tea shouting “sanctuary” as he come in the door).

You may scoff at this research but I can well believe it. Back in the day I would have gone for an hours ride in a random direction. Using public transport in the UK (outside London) just raises your stress levels. I sent 90 minutes on the bus stop on Tuesday waiting for the once an hour bus that didn’t turn up. Missed an appointment with a customer. What do I do, leave an hour earlier just in case and kick my heels at the other end?

You know why the once an hour fails? They take a bus off to cover any holes in the 6 or more an hour services as they make more money. Even when the council has sponsored the service. So you may get annoyed at traffic jams etc. but at least you are on your way, not standing in the rain hoping the next bus turns up.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,488

Back in the day I would have gone for an hours ride in a random direction.

I would do almost the same. If the wife/son/council/whatever wound me up too tightly, I would jump in the car, take a thrash up the motorway, choose an exit, then a good run around some country lanes and back on the motorway home. Chilled!!

That definitely kept me civilised at least.😀

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,149

Taking busses out of service to regulate the service really gets me. If a bus catches up with the one in front then it will be because the one in front was delayed. That means there will be lots of delayed people waiting for the first bus so it will be packed. Eventually the first bus becomes so full that it does not stop unless some one has rung to get off. This leaves everyone waiting for the next bus which has now been canceled. Of course the next bus that arrives will be packed and so will take longer at stops so it will be caught up by the bus behind and so on.

You just can’t take a bus out of service to regulate the service !

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Out here in the boondocks we get an hourly service, 6 days a week, starts at 7:30, ends at 19:00. None at all on Sundays, even in the Holiday season, which is so daft for a tourist area that it beggars belief. When I say ‘hourly’ I mean whenever it gets here, after the time it should have left but probably didn’t. The service runs from Lincoln to Louth and links to the Grimsby bus and the Mablethorpe bus, which used to link to the Skegness bus. Now there is no way to get to Skeg from anywhere in Lincs on public transport If we had a train service, that could be an option, but we don’t: Beeching saw to that. I cannot tell how many times I have left home for Louth or Mablethorpe, (opposite directions) picked up friends and neighbours who have been waiting at least 30 minutes for a Stagecoach bus. Heck, an actual, real stagecoach would be a better service!

The big problem is distance between villages and the few towns in Lincolnshire, particularly my area of East Lindsey. The Lincoln bus should arrive in Louth bus station at (say) 12:00. Waiting for it (or not) are the Grimsby and Mablethorpe buses. The Mablethorpe bus has to go past, in and around a lot of villages which are spread out around some narrow roads. One combine Harvester, one broken down truck, RTC or a cycle road race and a delay event snowballs. Same applies to the Grimsby bus, with even worse roads. This is an agricultural county with large farm combines and very few dual carriageways. The Lincoln bus has to return to Lincoln by a certain time, although that journey has the best and fastest roads, like a whole 50 mph in some places and even 60 in others! Quite often, the Lincoln bus leaves without seeing one or both of the other buses. The whole service, seriously advertised as “Connect Lincs”, falls apart and connection is lost. Gradually, one or two local companies are taking up some of the slack, but by a process I cannot fathom, they are not allowed to advertise a timetable. Anyone who wants one, has to phone and either ask for it to be posted, or go to the company’s office and get one. If they knew which bus to take them there, that is.

There is a very good Lincoln-based company, PC Coaches, which has been trying to escape the dead grip of Stagecoach upon services and has managed to get some routes. Originally, the local Lincolnshire company was totally Lincs and called “Lincolnshire Road Car”. It served the whole county and further afield, but Stagecoach bought it out years ago. After an initial good service, when subsidies were available, their service has become worse and worse. I can foresee a time when local bus companies will come back into vogue, but in the meantime the Stagecoach vampire continues to suck the life out of public transport here. I’m just glad we have a car, but many of the more elderly and young people who want to get out for a night, don’t have that option. If at some point my driving is getting worse, we will have to move to Louth, and I love my village.

I'm out.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.