Forumite

Been a while

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    D-Dan
    @d-dan

With the whole move to South Wales, and then after a further move to my own place a month later, starting a new job, etc. I haven’t had much time to visit, but here I am.

The move did NOT go well for my PC.

After move 1 my PSU started to play up, so bought a new one. 650W to 750W, so bonus.

After move two, parts of the MB started to die (no ethernet port anymore, POST fails etc.)

I got it kinda working with a PCI ethernet card, but ultimately, had to buy a new MB (can’t complain, it was an upgrade too). During removal of the old MB, it became apparent that the front USB had pretty much welded itself to the MB (it’s still there, just missing all the pins now – still can’t get it out).

Order placed with Coolermaster EU for a replacement, but I wasn’t concentrating. and bought a new front face panel rather then the front ports gubbins. Would cost too much to send back (more than it cost) so I figured keep as a spare. Second order was the correct stuff, but arrived in a box as big as a suitcase for what is essentially a 4″ circuit board and some wire. Nevertheless, installed and all is good.

Looking at my PC today, I thought (That front panel needs taking off and cleaning), then remembered the accidental spare, so swapped out and all is well in the world. Looks like a new machine, too (though I suppose, to a significant extent, it is).

Switched to liquid metal rather than paste for cooling, and seems to be doing a good job.

Then, of course, local lockdown in Newport means I can’t visit the woman I moved here for (well, not legally).

So what you all up to?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by D-Dan.
    • This topic was modified 1 month ago by D-Dan.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 5 (yes -5) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1070 8GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

Not much! Bits and pieces here and there, no big money earning jobs.

I’ve got pulled into a project to get a church live streaming, an old colleague on the Carrier project helps out in the parish office. Problem is they only have an adsl line and even though it’s a suburb of Bristol, nowhere near as far out as me, there’s no FTTC and the 4G signal is pants. We’re hoping that Virgin can come up with something as they do have a presence in the local streets.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

Glad to hear that you are OK, even if your original PC did not survive the change in environment. From a personal standpoint the boredom of lockdown  with exercise being the only thing to pass the time has resulted in my being fitter than I have been in the last ten years. The only thing I have really disliked about lockdown restrictions is the fact that the incompetent ENGLISH Government does NOT follow the science in ignoring children under twelve from group gatherings. As a result we have been unable to see the grandchildren for a long time. :negative:

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,490

Welcome back!👍

Reading your first paragraph I thought you’d had some relationship problems when you said,

…and then after a further move to my own place a month later

but on reading your last paragraph all seems good on that front, so that’s good to hear that all went as planned, even if your PC didn’t appreciate the relocation journey!!

Looking at my PC today, I thought (That front panel needs taking off and cleaning), then remembered the accidental spare, so swapped out and all is well in the world. Looks like a new machine, too (though I suppose, to a significant extent, it is).

– that sounds about as new as Trigg’s broom!! :yahoo:

Not a lot has changed here, still most of the same bunch of forumites as before. Bob, ( Bullstuff ) has been having a tough time of it – see “Pancreatitis and a new diet” for details. Dave R is keeping us updated on this one. Other than that, work your way through the Recent Topics and you’ll see it’s not changed much.😉👍

There’s a `free PI’ Topic you may be interested in ( although possibly a bit too late ) HERE .

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,149

Reading your post ?

Er, looking for ANY Woman who will let me visit 😆😁😆

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.