Forumite

being ripped off

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I dunno if I should be miffed or flattered. In 2016, I wrote a poem. In February 2018 (the earliest I can find – though I’m sure it was originally 2016) I shared it to facebook. In the past few months, I’m seeing bastardised versions of it cropping up all over the place.

Now, it wouldn’t bother me if I was accredited, but I’m not, and so I dunno how I feel about the whole thing, flattered or peed off.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 3,634

flattered. Imitation if the highest for of it.

Once you plop it on the net, its no longer yours anyhow. Not unless you safgarded it first. So just be satisfied it was good enough it’s caught manys imagination.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 1,534

Its a strange one for sure. What we put on face book often ends up somewhere else if the content is good enough.

Duno where zuckerberg is going wit this encryption thing. I dont like it.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

Check FB TOR. Iirc this FB post sums it up:

“Technically, you own all of the content you post on Facebook; therefore, you can copyright it. HOWEVER, by posting something on Facebook you:

…grant [Facebook] a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on… Facebook.
    and while this license ends when you delete the content from Facebook or delete your account, this does not apply if “your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.”

For practical purposes, this could reasonably be interpreted as meaning that if somebody saves content you shared on FB to their computer, then while you still own the copyright to that content, Facebook has full rights to use that content, as does anyone they choose to sub-license or transfer that right to.”

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image