Forumite

Big HDDs

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

If you are in the market for a big HDD, this Ars article is a useful guide to WDs very confusing product range. The guide also tells you which drives should not be touched with a barge-pole. Caveat emptor indeed!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

WD have become a nightmare. I buy Toshiba P300 desktop drives, even for NAS, up to 3TB. 7,200 rpm, 64mb cache, 2 year warranty, good price. Never had a failure in 3 years +. Toshiba Canvio are my #1 for 2.5″ portables.

TBH anything larger is pretty much always going to be a NAS or CCTV recorder and there I’ve been buying Seagate Iron Wolf or Sky Hawk. Seagate have been working with Synology and Hikvision to include diagnostics in the firmware besides everything else.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,016

I recently shucked a WD Elements drive and used that in my NAS, as it was cheaper than a Seagate. I’ve got the data backed up so if it goes, it goes. I’ll be saving for the Ironwolf next time round!

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

I should mention the diagnostics are only for 4TB and larger. I see E-Buyer are putting SMR or CMR in their WD Red descriptions now.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.