Forumite

Blank screen

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Blank screen

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

Any ideas on this problem please?

In late 2014 I built the following system for a friend:

AsRock Z77 Extreme Skt 1155 VGA, DVI & HDMI mobo

Intel Core I7 3770K 3.5GHz CPU

EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual Port PCI-E graphics card

And all that was necessary to complete the system and still running W7.

Yesterday had a call to say that there was nothing on his monitor, he was right!

The mobo itself has  VGA and DVI outputs and when connected to my monitor – nothing on either output when the EVGA card is removed and with the EVGA card inserted and ‘plugged in’ – Dr Debug gives the following indications for all combinations:

4F – DXE IPL is started

96 – PCI Bus Assign Resources

Everything seems to run OK, all fans work (inc EVGA card), DVDs open/close.

One thing that puzzles me is that when I remove the EVGA card and use the graphic output on the mobo itself, it is still a blank screen and of course if something needs re-setting in the BIOS – no screen output.  I suppose that I could re-set the BIOS off the mobo itself.

My own PC may have a suitable card which I might be able to swap out.

Based on experience my money is on a duff EVGA card.

I appreciate that I am asking someone to find a ‘needle in a haystack’ without actually telling you where the ‘haystack’ is!

Anyone any ideas please?

Thanks,  Dave

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

It sounds like everything is getting power, but it could be anything on the motherboard or the board itself stopping the boot.

First thing is a BIOS reset as sometimes that’s all it is. After that it’s swapping out hardware but it’s highly unlikely to be the CPU.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,375

Thanks Dave, I can re-set the BIOS to see if that helps, I may be able to test the GPU in my PC or swap my g/card and see what happens, if all fails them mobo but as you say I have yet to have a CPU fail on me.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,379

CMOS battery? If it does not have one, then it has something like the Mac’s PRAM and you will need to refer to your mobo docs, but I’d guess it would then be some sort of PSU issue.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image