• Creator
    Topic
    Ed P
    Participant

I love the way the medical profession keeps wriggling and dissembling in order to toe the party line that booze is bad for you. Unfortunately for them all the research seems to point in the opposite direction.

a) Moderate drinkers live longer than tea-total abstainers. link  It just seems longer to the TT folk!

b) Red wine appears to configure many heart health benefits link

c) Red Wine controls and in some cases cures type II diabetes link

d) Now the real killer, somewhat immoderate drinking (two to three drinks a day!) protects against dementia. link

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      The Duke
      Participant

The huge secret middle aged, middle class alkis of the nation, will be rejoicing once your post gets out ed.

The nation if full of people that are doing half a bottle of malt in, while their wife is demolishing 2 bottles of red.

Nothing against it, I just always laugh they they add some type of anti drinking tax on, all it Does is effect the poor, and not the majority.

blacklion1725
        Participant

and encourage the black market………thriving for booze and especially fags. Some of the fags are Euro-imports, nmany seem to be counterfeit and full of god knows what.

Ed P
          Participant

Apologies for the ‘confers many heart benefits’ being turned into ‘configure many heart benefits’. I must have accidentally installed auto-correct!

Dave Rice
            Participant

Ahh, that’s why I had a heart attack. I was drinking cider and not red wine ?

Ed P
              Participant

Ahh, that’s why I had a heart attack. I was drinking cider and not red wine ?

Possibly Dave, but half the Germans in the study drank beer. A recent French study comes up with similar findings. link. However to balance that a little a UK study found alcohol caused dementia in Civil Servants (surprise surprise!).

Possibly of more worry to several Forumites  is that PPI drugs are strongly linked with dementia link, My guess would be that their impact on the gut biome may be the cause, so probiotic yoghurt, plus supplements of magnesium, B vitamins and folic acid might be a good idea to balance the damage caused by PPIs. (It is proven that PPIs cause B12 deficiencies).

Richard
                Participant

All I know is that since my wife started her chemo back in May, 78 days ago but who is counting, I have joined her in being very abstemious with no alcohol. My weight has dropped by 12.7Kg an average I work out at 160gms per day. The economy of various far flung South American nations has probably also suffered…

As ever studies need very careful vetting to see how representative a sample was used, etc. Sometimes it is also worth checking that the conclusion is in agreement with the published results. This is not always the case.

Bob Williams
                  Participant

When I began Chemo, I was advised by my consultant and the senior Macmillan nurse who is his deputy and my case advisor, to drink only white wine and that a small glass every third day. Just before this, my lovely daughter had bought me a bottle of Australian “Kangaroo Point” Merlot, which was absolutely gorgeous, just the type of strong (13%) deeply dark Red that I love to sip slowly and take a few evenings to finish. I manged most of it before the ban, but if I ever am allowed back into Redheaven again, I will look for it. I can only drink most Whites in Spritzers anyway, although I really like a good Chenin Blanc neat, with pleasure. SWMBO likes cheap German sweet wines, Social Bonus! ??

It seems very cruel that, as I was just getting used to appreciate good wine sipped slowly and enjoy for flavour, instead of tipped down the neck in quantity, I was banned from that pleasure. Life is a bitch!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                    I'm out.

Richard
                    Participant

Yes Bob, I would drink to that, in the past, but not for the moment. My wife’s oncologist said the chemo puts a heavy load on most parts of the body not least the liver so it is best avoided totally until after the treatment and the operation, probably in late October, or November. Hopefully all will be well for Christmas, but nothing is certain. Her birthday will be a quiet affair, tomorrow and over the weekend, the grandchildren have been in contact with Chicken Pox so must be avoided according to the Chemo book of words.

The wine rack is full as is the wine chiller, so here’s hoping.

Bob Williams
                      Participant

I had chicken pox at 20 in the Army, which put back my AAC tech training a couple of weeks. It went through Southern Command like an express train, they had to open some closed wards in Aldershot as Quarantine one person wards, even had to send some to other Southern hospitals. I recall my mate Ron from Redditch, laughing at me catching a childhood disease, then walking past my ward, covered and swearing at me in his almost Black Country accent ” Yo give me the blummin’ plague, yo ***”””!!!???**! ” I was laughing back, as I knew I would be out first and we were both trying to date the same pretty WRAC.

Years later, MOT testing my GP’s old Mk.1 Land Rover, he informed that the itchy pimples on my back, were the onset of Shingles. “Make an appointment in the morning. Better still, I’ll use your office phone and make one for you.” Cost me two weeks off work, spread all over my body and was extremely painful. I still get small reactions now, but not since I have been on Erythromycin (2 tab’s twice a day for the rest of my life) as a result of the pancreatic cancer Op.

I'm out.

D-Dan
                        Participant

a little a UK study found alcohol caused dementia in Civil Servants

Nope. As someone who deals with Civil Servants on a daily basis, either they deliberately hire the already demented, or dementia is caused by being a Civil Servant.

As an aside, I used to be a medical accountant, and without fail, all of the GP clients were smokers, too.

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GB, 5 (yes -5) HDs inc 5 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, 2 x NV GTX 1070 8GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

JayCeeDee
                          Participant

…I still get small reactions now, but not since I have been on Erythromycin (2 tab’s twice a day for the rest of my life) as a result of the pancreatic cancer Op.

I call those the ” Shingles Tingles” it’s like someone stuck a couple of wires on your back and you get a low current shock!! Still takes my breath away sometimes and I’ve still got the pattern of the sores across my back and round my side, 5 months later.

All because they tried to get away with the cheap aciclovir cream instead of the expensive tablets!!

Bob Williams
                            Participant

…I still get small reactions now, but not since I have been on Erythromycin (2 tab’s twice a day for the rest of my life) as a result of the pancreatic cancer Op.

I call those the ” Shingles Tingles” it’s like someone stuck a couple of wires on your back and you get a low current shock!! Still takes my breath away sometimes and I’ve still got the pattern of the sores across my back and round my side, 5 months later. All because they tried to get away with the cheap aciclovir cream instead of the expensive tablets!!

YES! Perfect explanation of the same thing I get. Around 1990, when my GP was looking at my pimples as I bent over the MOT headlamp tester, he gave me an appointment which produced a treatment whose name I forget. It was pink rose-coloured, liquid and brushed on by SWMBO with a small brush in the bottle. It took some time to clear up the scars and pockmarks, but it worked. Many years later, when Shingles came back here in Lincolnshire, they gave me the cream you mention. Absolutely useless! Only get it rarely nowadays, but I have found the solution: I have to wash and shower with something called “Hibiscrub” for a separate skin condition in my surface Lymph glands, possibly picked up a bug in Aden according to my Dermatologist at Queen’s Med Nottingham. Gives me huge boils and carbuncles if I use ordinary soap, which does not penetrate the zillions of hair follicles all over my bod. (I am a Neanderthal!) I get a 5 liter plastic container of this on prescription.

It clears up the skin and the Shingles after two lukewarm showers a day, I wet down and then coat myself head to foot in the stuff, which is what surgical staff scrub up with before and after Ops. I wash off and rinse several times. Can’t bathe in a bath, as I have to get it all off, standing up. We have a Wet Room.

Nothing in my life is simple, especially medical stuff! But is about the same pink colour as the stuff my old GP gave me, and no medical professional today knows what that was.

I'm out.

JayCeeDee
                              Participant

I remember that pink stuff from when I had chicken pox as a child. It was a bit like a pink Milk of Magnesia and applied with cotton wool swabs.

The Duke
                                Participant

Still the same crap we dab on the young kids today though it’s now white. And was in the 80w when I had CP.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                Forumite