Forumite General Topics Politics Europe Brexit now = CETA +/-?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,201 through 1,220 (of 1,834 total)
  • Author
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
      @grahamdearsley

Just watched Jacob Reese Moog tear the EU’s last offer to shreds.

Q. Does this house or this country now have a legal right to leave a customs union without permission from a third party ?

A. We now have a legal right to ask for legally binding arbitration from a joint UK/EU panel, under EU rules, and ultimately the ECJ.

NO then ?

We now have a legally…..

And so on.

The Duke
      Participant
        @sgb101

Moggs issue is he always sounds good at the time, but then when you think about what he has said, or look into his facts/opions, you find very little.

Toe he is the oppersite to may. I’d imagine he could sell me a full price dfs couch, and I’d walk out knowing I’d been screwed, but not how he managed it.

Saying all that, I quite like his smugness. He is like level 11  Smug. If your gonna do something, be the best at it.

Bob Williams
        Participant
          @bullstuff2

Another Privileged Tory, born with a whole canteen of solid silver cutlery in his disapproving*mouth, not just a silver spoon.

*Check it out:

Almost always looks like he is sucking a lemon.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
          I'm out.

The Duke
          Participant
            @sgb101

I see she sldidnt even manage to buy at full price. I think dfs will soon be evicting her.

Her deal was crap, this was inevitable. And now we have two years waited, we are no nearer any goals. And some fool at the end declared war on Europe.

Just another day in the life of Westminster cluser-f-+ks.

While the whole world watches on open mouthed wording WFT has happend to the uk.

This knife crime rising, rioting brewing, heated emotions rolling on to the football pitch. Don’t you think out leaders would choose words a bit more widely. Stood in the  Chambers, live on the TV, spouting War with the EU. Idiot. F-ing idiot.

This country is a tinder pot atm. We are know as a nation that moans but does little. It’s not going to take much to ignigjt this inner rage. we have decades of holding it in, stiff upper lip  nonsense it  could explode.

Every side feels like they are being shafted, it won’t take much. I suspect there is far more people living hand to mouth, getting poorer by the year, that would go and fight the system if they knew enough would back them

Does anyone feel better off than they did 10 years ago? I don’t, and I make a half decent living. I look at kids today leaving school, there is no jobs for them, no road maps, no place in society.

Wheels-Of-Fire
            Participant
              @grahamdearsley

MP’s now have a chance to stop all this Hokey Cokey Brexit nonsence once and for all. Just vote for no deal tonight and then get on with it.

They won’t of course and the result will be months or years of more chaos and uncertainty.

The Duke
              Participant
                @sgb101

They will vote agsist no deal. And The EU won’t extend A50 without a valid reason or path. That also should end this mess.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                Participant
                  @grahamdearsley

By remaining in the EU and just forgetting we voted to get out.

That is a mess on a whole new scale.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                  Participant
                    @grahamdearsley

People mostly voted for their traditional partys at the last election because they all prommiced to respect the result of the referendum. If it becomes clear that the voice of the people don’t matter a jot to the current mob then who knows ?

The Duke
                    Participant
                      @sgb101

I agree, it will be a mess. But that’s my prediction. It may be a good thing as it may be the catalist to reform politics as thd UK know it.

All of leavers will be pissed, and a fair few remainders won’t be happy. They will be happy as they got their way, but even to me (a remainder) it doesn’t taste right.

The vote was never binding/ratified, but all the parties said they would honour the outcome, and then again on the election. So yes we should leave. However I’m still glad we arnt (possably).

Ive never said I’m not a hypocrite. We all are, just some don’t realise it. This is one of them points where I’m torn on the outcome. Both happy and sad.

Ive only just got in, I have no idea what has gone on today. Will have a look in a bit.

Bob Williams
                      Participant
                        @bullstuff2

Barnier: “Extension for what?”

And he is right! Looking at it from their POV, my German friends are absolutely confused at what is happening here. As my old mate Rolf said today, “We have always looked upon your Westminster as the Mother of Parliaments. Is mother suffering from Dementia?”

So much feckin about by so many complete political A-holes in Westminster, who have completely forgotten what they were elected to do and who they are supposed to represent. This whole mess has been their fault, as a body, since the Referendum was put forward by the biggest A-hole of them all, Cameron. They all began by giving us information that was ‘economical with the truth’ from both sides. Then they began to see that taking one position might not give them the political leg-up they wanted, so some changed sides. Now they are splintered into so many groups that there is no chance of a reasonable end to this bloody pantomime.

The only sane voice at least on the government benches, is Philip Hammond today, asking for compromise across the party lines, to try getting a result. As Chancellor, he probably has a damned good idea what the financial cost to the country will be, in the event of a No Deal.

As Steve says, the best result in the long term may be a transformation of our 19th Century political system. My poor, poor country, about to get much poorer I believe. But the Haves will retain what they have and the Have-Nots will grow in numbers and have even less.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                        I'm out.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                        Participant
                          @grahamdearsley

Well as expected that got us nothing and nowhere, except perhaps deeper in the sh1t.

But we were so close….

The Duke
                          Participant
                            @sgb101

Ive been watching a different type of remaining in Europe. Very pleased with that.

Now The motherland state is safe. I’ll have to look up what happend with the uk side of things.

But by WoF last post, I’m gathering a no deal seperation has been ruled out.

Wheels-Of-Fire
                            Participant
                              @grahamdearsley

So thats it then. No second referendum. Never. Ever ever. The MP’s have spoken.

Until next week anyway ?????

Wheels-Of-Fire
                              Participant
                                @grahamdearsley

Whats this ? MP’s will not be allowed to take control of the Brexit process and extend it for evermore !

Until…….

Next week ?????

Wheels-Of-Fire
                                Participant
                                  @grahamdearsley

Oh we’re not voting on this one after all.

Would have been should Mrs may be prevented from bringing the same plan a third time.

Lack of interest apparently. Oh well

Next up. Should the government be allowed to ask the EU for an extension ?

Wheels-Of-Fire
                                  Participant
                                    @grahamdearsley

And the answer is…….

Yes. Massively

Thats it for now folks. Stay tuned for another edition of.

You couldn’t make it up ?

Ed P
                                    Participant
                                      @edps

Just shows that Democratic Elective Dictatorship is a really poor idea.

Theresa will soon be back to the commons yet again,  with her tattered deal (as nothing can stop her except her Cabinet) saying if you back my deal I’ll only ask for a small extension, otherwise I’ll request that we delay Brexit for two years to allow us time to do many other things.

Nothing is over until the ‘fat gaudy May-frog croaks’!

Wheels-Of-Fire
                                      Participant
                                        @grahamdearsley

Even given the grave seriousness of the situation I now can’t help myself from finding the goings on genuinely funny.

Watch the votes live on sky news for the biggest laughs. You will never have seen so many people so certain before a vote and so red faced after.

Ed P
                                        Participant
                                          @edps

Yep watching pigs slipping and sliding in their own filth is often funny, especially when they are all shipped off to the abattoir at election time.

The VFM Addict
                                          Participant
                                            @thevfmaddict

Yep I find I have to laugh also.    I have never seen such duplicity by any PM or so blatant that it personifies “Yes, Prime Minster”.      The Script this time – “We leave on the 29 March.”,  “Yes we are leaving on the 29 March”,  “My commitment is to leave on 29 March”, repeat such or similar over 100 times in Parliament or in the media.   Then – “Oh just excuse me for a minute while I nip into the Division Lobby to vote for an extension”.     Yes, Prime Minister !!!

So folks where are we heading?   Well its Ground Hog Day of course.    Unless Bercow bars it (which he can) there will be Meaningful Vote 3 and perhaps even 4.    May’s deal will probably pass.   Then it will be 2015 again.   Open political warfare between Leavers and Remainers.    The end point this time being whether we head for an exit from the WA via Art 62 of the Vienna Convention rather than Art 50 from the EU.

Cox (possibly spurred on by May and Gove although for different reasons) is already attempting to get the DUP and ERG on side for May’s deal by touting this possibility; an approach in part suggested many months back by both Gove and Mervyn King.

Frankly I suspect that following ratification of May’s deal, if such occurs, the way in which the EU will seek to gain advantage in the Trade Negotiations post Brexit will merely stoke that fire further.  Heads down for a rise of the Nationalistic Extreme Right in this country the like of which we have never seen before.  Does anyone truly doubt that such is where we are heading.   May had to play hard these last two years and truly be prepared to walk – Any true negotiator knows that.    Don’t do it or mean it you get a dreadful deal.   She did not and we have.   Worse still she herself refused the Canada ++ FTA Tusk offered in March 2017.    What an idiot.    The final trade deal that we will now get from the EU will be atrocious (and why not since they know our politicians have not the courage to ever walk so will take all and give nothing) will influence public moods.   I am certain quite similarly to the way that unfair excessive WW1 reparations left Germans feeling between the wars.

I’m sorry but if anyone thinks the route we are now set on will leave us economically better off than would a hard Brexit I am certain they are wrong.   Because trade with the EU from this point on given that the EU will only give us a Trade Deal totally contrary to our interests and insanely biased to theirs makes such unlikely in the extreme.

It was often said of the WW1 (somewhat unfairly) that we were led by Donkeys.   I suspect that history will ultimately decide (but this time entirely fairly and accurately) that during Brexit we were led by an Ass.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,201 through 1,220 (of 1,834 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                                          Forumite