Brexit now = CETA +/-?

HOME Forums Politics Europe Brexit now = CETA +/-?

This topic contains 544 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 2 days, 4 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I must confess to being totally uncertain why the UK has been pratting about for the last 12 months. By all accounts when ‘submarine’ May at last emerged all she did was to unveil a slight modification of the Canadian deal(CETA) with the EU.

The +/- comes about as there will still be free movement of EU citizens across the borderless Ulster/Eire border, albeit with no rights of abode, but that never troubles the people smugglers. There is also uncertainty over our biggest export earner – the Financial Sector. The EU court will arbitrate all trade deals and the Court of Human Misrights will remain unchanged. (This was never part of Brexit and cannot be untangled from the Northern Ireland Friday Agreement).

It strikes me that the last six months has been all about internal rifts in the Conservative Party and banging blimp heads together.

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 121 through 140 (of 544 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,961

VFM the Japan news could also be viewed that we have totally stuffed our car and electronics industries by not staying in the EU.

EDIT – FT link

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Ed P.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 645

With the primeminiser on the ropes! Will Boris’s resegnation speech be the knock out blow for the PM this safto?

I’ve just listened to it. I’m no fan of the Tories (card carrying Labour party member and auditor for the CLP), and I have even less respect for Bojo, who has played the chump so well over the years it’s impossible to know where the chump ends and Boris begins.

However, his speech is perhaps the first time I’ve felt any respect for him. I can’t support all his views (though I could support some), but it’s clear that this was heartfelt, and although it will unnerve TM further, since there was so much that was covertly personal, it will touch a nerve to many. It’s possibly the first time I’ve believed that Bojo was being honest.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,961

I’m bailing out of this conversation for a week as I’m off on a long-distance pub-crawl where they drain canals link

My wife and I will probably crawl between the canal-side pubs of Bradford-on-Avon and Bathampton Depending on weather, it can make a very pleasant and moderately healthy walking break.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,190

Starting (or ending) at The George? Not been there for a while.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 703

Interesting week in the EU dont you think ?

Ireland thretens to ban our planes from its airspace 🤣🤣🤣

Ireland admits that the EU has told it there will be no hard border no matter what.

The EU is telling May what she can do with her over generous white paper.

Roll on next week !

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

For those who may get board waiting, have a good look at the Wiki page for Karl Marks and see if you can guess which political leader most closely follows his views.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Sorry Marx

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 139

Yep, a very interesting week.    My favorite joke of the week was Leo Varadkar’s threat about Eire airspace.  There is man who is not across his brief.     Eire has no combat jets or long range sea search and rescue capability.   A treaty is in place with Eire for the UK to provide air cover and defence of Eire airspace in the event of terrorist threats.    Indeed without our air cover a terrorist could happily fly numerous jets into Dublin or Cork etc., and Leo could do nothing but watch.    Of course if Leo sticks to his threat, well then, we could only join him in watching because we would be banned from his airspace.    Nice one, Leo.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

He can’t stick to his threat. He has no jurisdiction whatsoever over the airspace.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

No it was just nonsense. But its what I have come to expect from the man.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I see we have told the EU that we might, possibly, just maybe not bung them £38bn if they don’t get a move on with negotiations.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,881

I am reminded of a 2 week school trip to Innsbruck, Austria, in 1959, when Austria was a neutral country and terrified of Russian invasion. Every day at around 12 noon, one or more USAF transports would fly across Austrian airspace. Maybe 20 minutes later, the Austrian Air force launched a flight of ex-RAF Spitfires in response. I asked a local shopkeeper about this. He laughed and said that, as the Spitfires were only slightly faster than the USAF aircraft, they stood no chance of catching it before it exited Austrian airspace. And they did not want to shoot it down anyway, but had to go through the motions for the UN’s sake. He also said that the Spitfires should stay on the ground, saving fuel, until Red Stars appeared on the wings over Austria.

Leo Varadkar is conscious of his racial origin and attempting to be more Irish than the Irish. This will rebound upon him in years to come, I think, as he makes more and more dumb utterances. Should have changed his name to O’Trump?

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The Brexit negotiations are becoming more like a scene from The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy every day.

The one where Deep Thought tells Vroomfondle and Majikthise that if they can keep violently disagreeing with each other about the answer then they can keep themselves on the gravy train for life.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict

I dined with the late great Douglas Adams a few times and gave him a few lifts.  I can tell you he would have been cracking great lines about all this.   Indeed one of his best lines is very appropriate right now– ‘I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.’

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict

Come to think of it perhaps May might like to take heed of another of his lines and follow its advice – “Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” 

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

PM TM has now taken charge of Brexit.    http://tinyurl.com/y9dtdwf4

Disregarding what you think of her, the PM has given this everything she has. For two years she has fought off attacks from people in her own Party, with different agenda and different power aims. That includes some of the misogynistic Oldpharts who still regret  the fact that women won the right to vote, never mind become MP’s. She has been accused of continually changing course, demonstrating indecisiveness and trying to please everyone, when in fact she is just beating her head against all the Westminster walls, trying to get agreement. She has a thankless task and will receive only grudging acceptance if she manages to pull off a reasonable agreement with the Bonkers Brussels Bureaucrats.

I suspect there is steel behind that smile, and more sharp intelligence than Maggie ever possessed. Or that any other Tory MP has shown in this Parliament. Kick on, TM.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

After her performance as home secretary, her lack of judgement in calling the GE, and the dithering to please everyone rather than setting a path, I don’t share your optimism.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Not optimism Dan: realism. Name another member of her party of divided, contentious, argumentative MP’s who could negotiate the Brexit tightrope as well. Yes, she has made mistakes, but what you see as dithering and trying to please everyone, is her hard work trying to get the result. Remember that her predecessor caused all this mess, then left. TM is staying and seeing it out.

If you say Boris I will lose some respect for you.

If you propose another GE and say Corbyn, that would be all respect.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I’m honestly surprised she’s managed to last until now without another GE, and I’m not convinced that she will last through the summer recess.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I am going to reserve judgement for the moment but I think I smell a rat.

Mrs May is the only one who can truly speak for the government when it comes to making major concessions. She is the only one who can say her red lines don’t really matter.

Like I said, we shall see.

Viewing 20 replies - 121 through 140 (of 544 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love