Forumite

Brexit now = CETA +/-?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I must confess to being totally uncertain why the UK has been pratting about for the last 12 months. By all accounts when ‘submarine’ May at last emerged all she did was to unveil a slight modification of the Canadian deal(CETA) with the EU.

The +/- comes about as there will still be free movement of EU citizens across the borderless Ulster/Eire border, albeit with no rights of abode, but that never troubles the people smugglers. There is also uncertainty over our biggest export earner – the Financial Sector. The EU court will arbitrate all trade deals and the Court of Human Misrights will remain unchanged. (This was never part of Brexit and cannot be untangled from the Northern Ireland Friday Agreement).

It strikes me that the last six months has been all about internal rifts in the Conservative Party and banging blimp heads together.

Viewing 13 replies - 1,821 through 1,833 (of 1,833 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,356

Even if a moderate got the block votes of all the Unions (Not going to happen) it wouldn’t be enough to outnumber all their new Marxist members.

Fully agree with the likely direction of travel, but I hold a faint hope as a few ( non-Labour ) friends thought they would join just to vote for someone moderate – whether they did or not I’ll find out at a later stage.

Graham – I was so incensed at the comment, I failed to spot, or maybe, connect, the “Sorry, but NO” !!

Stick an outraged Smiley when you say something outrageous in jest!!👍👍

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,286

John, I’m not sure your ‘Momentum’ comment is correct. In the period between the General Election and the *20 January, the membership of the Labour Party increased by more than 20%, the vast majority of whom are thought to be anti-Corbyn. The leadership rank and file ballot opens on Feb 21st so we will know better after that date whether or not a Keir Starmer can eliminate the rampant left wing of Long-Bailey. As Starmer is the one that the Conservatives are sniping against, he is obviously the best choice.

*you had to be accepted as a member before this date in order to be able to vote.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Ed, that’s what I was alluding to, albeit, I didn’t know the figures, but my fear is it still won’t be enough, hence the ‘direction of travel’ comment.

Looked for an exasperated/frustrated smiley, but couldn’t find one on our set.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

If Keith was upset with Nicola Sturgeon, he is going to be spitting nails when he reads that Tusk has said that they would welcome Scotland back into the EU.

It looks ever more likely that Brexit will result in the UK becoming the disunited Kingdom of England.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Having watched that interview twice now, it can’t be denied that he said it, but however, that came after a great deal of funnelling and near finagling of the questions that Andrew Marr put to Tusk, and you can bet a pound to a penny, the qualifying comments made by Tusk will be left out of the soundbites.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,732

A up. Tell you what. Won’t it be good if we have a new COD war now we got those 2 big stick aircraft carriers. :)

I had to cross a few fileds to ge this shot.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,458

😣Outraged Smiley, Keith. I think.

How much good do you think the carriers will be against manoeuvrable, much smaller fishing boats? Unless you want to use Ed’s “flying turkeys” to sink them? Half of which may become submarines after take-offs and landings.

We did not ever need those carriers, we are not a global power any more, although this has not percolated to Westminster and Whitehall yet. It would have been better to have built small, fast, heavily armed and even more manoeuvrable patrol boats. The ‘Royal’ carriers are a white elephant, so is the Flying Turkey.

We need to defend our own borders. My ideal Britain would be an Armed Neutrality Republic. A Heavily Armed Republic at that. Switzerland on Sea.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

LOl. Bob, I do like your divergent approach. :)

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Keith, I think Bob’s views on defence mirror those of a number of forumites. Have a first class military, but make it Swedish in style and outlook. i.e, Britain first and only Britain, and sod the Yanks.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

I dont know what a sea Admiral would say to that.

lol May be I do.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,458

I know exactly what they would say Keith, but the RN, as all other Services, is top-heavy. The RN especially has too many admirals and rear admirals. It has always been an organisation peacock-proud of its own place in the military, when in fact we have too few ships to maintain a global force. Just protecting the white elephants will tax RN resources in ships and sailors which are needed elsewhere. And there are in reality no real “sea admirals” in the fleet: they are all in Whale Island, Portsmouth or Whitehall. Or living very comfortably in semi-retirement on the Active List. Or they are Royals. All are earning large amounts, most for doing naff-all, whilst service personnel are denied the equipment they need and a wage they could live on comfortably. Check this out: –

http://tinyurl.com/u2a9jfp

It may or may not surprise you to know that some service families have to use food banks:

http://tinyurl.com/whycq5h

A 2017 report, but according to the recently discharged son of a mate, still true and the reason he left, as an infantry corporal veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan. Now earning much more as a binman and managing to feed his family without making choices between clothes and food.

As Kipling said,

It’s Tommy this and Tommy that, and kick him out, the brute.

But it’s ‘Saviour of his country’ when the guns begin to shoot.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

We seem to be going nowhere fast over Brexit so instead of controlling our borders will will lose the Dublin Agreement to repatriate illegal immigrants back to France or wherever. Good move BoJo and Co!

Mind you if we do a trade deal with the US we will all be moving very rapidly, towards the nearest toilet because as usual the low US food hygiene standards have now resulted in an ‘explosive’ outbreak of salmonella which is spread in US red onions and onion-containing products!

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,073

It seems they’re all going nowhere 

Brexit: Boris Johnson’s promise of lucrative trade deals in trouble, study warns
    PM vowed to ‘take back control’ – but dithering has handed advantage to countries on other side of the table, Institute for Government says.

All this was going to be so easy wasn’t it? As people pointed out we have no experience of doing these deals. The idea that everyone would bend to our will and they would be queuing up to do deals because “they get more from us than we get from them”. Well there’s another way to right that imbalance, ask Trump.

I’m afraid this has gone further than any of the pseudo economic crap that was peddled and into Charge of the Light Brigade territory. If there is no deal I don’t think it will hit the headlines much but the fall out will, a lot of which will be blamed on Coronavirus.

They’d better get holidays to Spain and France sorted out too. Wait until people have to start paying for Green Cards again, or forget and get fined the moment they drive out of the port.

Viewing 13 replies - 1,821 through 1,833 (of 1,833 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.