Forumite

Broke network rules (again)?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Broke network rules (again)? 2Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Been trying to get my Canon Pixma TS 6150 installed on my network again. Struggled all afternoon, used all alternative solutions offered by Canon support. Nothing worked. Eventually set it up on SWMBO’s lappy instead. It went straight in. So I returned to my desktop and used “Add Printer”. Picked it up immediately, installed and working. Added it to the phones and tablets, no problem.

I am relieved but baffled. :unsure: :scratch:

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Broke network rules (again)? 3JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

I’ve got an Epson WorkForce AIO and when I first tried to connect it to my network it wouldn’t play ball.

Iirc I had to connect it via USB first of all, let it set up and then run through the WiFi connection. :unsure: :scratch:

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,448

Yes JayCeeDee, I considered USB myself, but the router I placed in the best position is on top of a cabinet, at a level to better reach the desktop PC here, 2 rooms and a corridor apart. The printer just will not setup in this room, can’t get it close enough to the PC. Took it into the lounge and it set up to the laptop. Used Add Printer and it was picked up immediately.

Problem here is that the flats were built in (I believe) 2009. There are no actual BT sockets in any  of them: just an RJ 45 ethernet socket with a twin power socket by one lounge wall and and ethernet socket with 4x power sockets across the room, with TV antenna and 2x Satellite points beside them. Would have much preferred a BT master socket, as it is I have a pesky dangling micro filter. Don’t know of any way to rectify this. Flats have had 3 landlords and current one has no clue about the contents.

I'm out.

Participant
    Broke network rules (again)? 3JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,203

iirc some flats used to have ‘Patch Panels’ tucked away in a cupboard, usually near the Electricity Consumer Unit, using the RJ45 sockets as ‘extension leads’. Not having a Master Socket is a PITA!!

Does networking Grandson have a solution??

Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,448

This place is weird: sensors in every room, apart from the CO2 and other detectors, there is a movement sensor in the upper corner of every room. The Gas meters are all in 3 banks of meters, under a box on the floor. The Electric meters are in banks behind a door, set into the outside wall. When I moved in, couldn’t find the leccy ones. Told they were behind a door, it was locked and they had to send a minion to unlock it. “That is not supposed to be locked!” – as if I locked it.

Gson has a solution: well yes he does but the landlord will not let us do anything with the sockets. So he is in the same boat, but has Plusnet Business via work and some really high speeds. He has servers in the spare room and is connected to work, has a massive desktop. Work is his life really, that and gaming.

I'm out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.