BT HomeHub disk mount

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk BT HomeHub disk mount

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

OK, seems like I shouldn’t be the person asking, but I can’t figure this out.

Since I got the Pi, I bought a 500Gb USB drive (Verbatim, but probably not important) which, despite having to format as Fat32, I have working well plugged in to the router, and serving up my videos and music (and whatever the hell else I want) via Plex on the Pi. The advantage is I don’t need my main machine running to access the NFS shares.

Now, since I have this extra 500Gb, I don’t see the point in duplicating storage (though I’ll probably do some backup), and I figure I can use the same networked USB drive across my other machines as locally attached drives. And yes, fstab is set up and it’s mounting as a local drive, just fine.

However, despite there being no password required on the router to mount the drive (and in fact, I have to actively pass a null password via fstab), I can’t write to the drive without sudo. I’ve tried a “username=localuser” where localuser is the name of the local user option, but it makes no difference.

So, on Linux, ideas how to mount with RW permissions for users other than sudo?

Spread the love
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

At a wild guess, you do not have sudoers rights on the router, and possibly do not know the actual  router admin password.

Can you do a sudo su?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I was musing that you only have restricted delegated rights as a user, and you MAY need root privileges to write to the drive. Maybe something like setting your account as ROOT would help. e.g link

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 760

No, visudo is already6 very well setup to give my user root rights. I think the issue is more likely with the HH5, but I have no idea how to get root on that. I would have loved to set the drive up with ext4, but Fat32 is all that will work. Otherwise, I could be fine.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

I HATE BT Home hubs more than any other ISP router. It does it’s own thing in it’s own way and is terribly inconsistent when it comes to viewing / configuring most things.

The best thing I’ve done is say sod the lot of them and bought a Draytek Vigor 2760. No wireless as I have my own Ubiquiti solution for that, but the 2760N I come across in SME support work are very capable in that respect too.

OK it cost me £95 but it’ll stay with me through ISP changes, except I can’t go back to Sky which I won’t be anyway.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Someone managed to get ext4 on a HH6 using this:

“‘I’ve discovered through trial and error that a drive formatted using ext4 works on the BT Hub 6. The path to access it it is /api/(drive_name). For example if you’ve named the drive backup1, the URI is //api/backup1.”

I got this with a trawl through the BT Care Community. You could try there — as Dave says HH has a lot of idiosyncrasies.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 760

I may give that a go at weekend when I have time to copy off 200Gb of data to a share on my main rig before reformatting the USB drive. It would certainly give me more confidence in the filesystem than fat32 does. Thank you.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love