BT Infinity 2

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech BT Infinity 2

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 11 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Since April my Infinity 2 connection has dropped in speed from a consistent 67-72 Mbs to 50-55 Mbs. I know I shouldn’t complain, many people are getting much less, but the most recent time I complained about it, I was told I should be getting a guaranteed 70 Mbs.

I have an after market filtered faceplate, that I’ve had a couple of years, and following agreement with support last time, I removed it, and sure enough, it was damaged. As it happens, so was the master socket, so against all the rules, rather than pay £130 for a BT engineer (the faceplate may have been responsible for the damage) I did a DIY job. Bought an authentic BT master socket and new faceplate, and did the work myself. This was maybe 6 weeks ago. Both fitted, and exactly the same.

Even after a couple of weeks training period, no difference, and I’d reached the point of assuming contention in my small cul-de-sac had caught up.

Fast forward to tonight, and suddenly my connection died. There was nothing nada. This parrot was devoid of life. It was dead.

Until 15 minutes later, when I re-established the connection. Tested with Ookla and BT speedtests, and I’m back to 72.5 Mbs (BT) and 67.85 Mbs Ookla.

So back to BT webchat to find out what they’ve done (you never know it may happen again and since they admitted I was getting less than the guaranteed minimum maybe some compo.

Am I wrong for asking for an explanation as to why it’s taken 6 months? Especially since I’ve still incurred expense (I will of course, admit to the faceplate but not to the master socket).

Spread the love
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 575

An update to this – and seemingly BT have upped their game.

My speed remains stable at 72.5 Mbs. BT complaints have just called me back, and apparently there was some noise on the line that was intermittent, but resulted in the lower speed. The line has been completely disconnected (hard disconnect) and re-wired last night (hence my outage) which appears to have solved the issue.

However, at no cost and no change to my contract they are also sending me the latest version of the home hub to keep it that way.

Did someone good take over BT customer service?

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 575

Further update. It seems BT still have a fault recorded, despite me telling them more than once that I just wanted an answer, rather than reporting a fault. (I was reporting a fault solved and asking why), which now prevents me running a standard BT speed test (Ookla still works and shows things still stable).

Honestly, after my bank yesterday refused payment for my VPS (which I rely on) and having to jump through hoops to pay today (German provider and German VPS, with a hell of a login process and no telephone support anymore – but the VPS works just fine, so not complaining. My bank need to whitelist the payment), and now BT bending over backwards to “help” me when all I want is an explanation.

Am I just getting old and grumpy?

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,075

Possibly.

Or just intolerant of idiots.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,804

Possibly. Or just intolerant of idiots.

Join the club, intolerance of idiots is caused by the idiots, not yourself!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love