Forumite

Budget Haswell Replacement?

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Budget Haswell Replacement?

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Budget Haswell Replacement? 2Tippon
    @tippon

It’s getting to the stage where my Haswell i5 is starting to struggle a little bit with some games and photo / video editing, so I’m looking at upgrading. I’ve got a small budget of about £200, but I only need the CPU, motherboard, and RAM, and possibly a modular PSU, but that’s optional for now. I’ve got an R9 380 graphics card, a watercooler, a decent wifi / Bluetooth card, and an SSD already.

Has anyone got any suggestions please? I’m fairly sure that I want to go with AMD and probably a Ryzen, whether it’s now or as a CPU upgrade a bit later, but I’m not up to date on the new systems. Something that can be upgraded again later would be best, so an M.2 slot, or extra RAM slots, but that’s not a dealbreaker.

Thanks in advance :bye:

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Budget Haswell Replacement? 3Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334

I always have a look at CCLs motherboard bundles to see what’s possible and tweak from there if necessary.

£180 gets you an A320 motherboard, a Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6GHz and 8GB of HyperX DDR4.

The motherboard is the weak point, it’s fine for office machines and has the M2 slot but a B450 would be better. Good news is the £20 left in the budget makes this possible, although an extra tenner widens the choice a lot.

£240 spent at E-Buyer gets you into Ryzen 5 6 core  /12 thread territory

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600 AM4 Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
    • MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX
    • HyperX FURY 8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4

Participant
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,771

That’s brilliant. Thanks Dave :good:

Just to make things awkward (not like me, I know :scratch: ), I won a few quid on the lottery last night, so my budget’s up to about £280 now. Would you stick with the same base and add any extras like more RAM, or would you suggest anything different?

As an aside, I hadn’t really thought about micro ATX boards for a while. I’m tempted to dig out my old Shuttle case and see if everything will fit B-) :yahoo:

Participant
    @ricedg

Personally I think 8GB is enough unless you have specific needs.

I would put the £40 towards an NVMe Gen3x4 drive as that’s the next bit of kit that makes the most difference. The Adata XPG SX are the best buys.

Participant
    @tippon

Thanks Dave, that’s what I suspected. I’m not sure what to do about RAM though. I’ve got 16GB at the moment for Photoshop, but Windows crashes if Chrome uses over about 1.5GB. Does matching RAM make much of a difference now, or could I go for the 8GB and add more sticks later?

Participant
    @ricedg

I can understand the Photoshop needs but never had that Chrome issue. Matching ram isn’t such a black art any more, but if you stick to a well known brand and non extreme specs it shouldn’t be too much of an issue getting exactly the same. I’d imagine the Hyper Fury will be relevant for a few years yet.

Participant
    @tippon

Sorry, I should have clarified. It’s not Chrome in particular, that just tends to be the one that I use most often. At the moment Chrome is using just short of 2GB, with no other memory hogs, but Windows says that 47% is being used. If I tried to use another big program now, I’d probably get warnings from Windows, or a crash. I’ve had two installations on separate drives do it, and I’ve either tested or swapped the other hardware, so I’m pretty sure that it’s either Windows or one of my programs. I don’t use anything unusual though. It’s a pain in the backside, but I can’t be bothered to troubleshoot it any further if I’m getting new kit.

I’ll stick with the 8GB for now and add more as I go along then. As long as everything works I can add RAM much more easily than anything else.

Just one last thing to check, does this seem right for the SSD?

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB M.2 Gaming Solid State Drive

Ebuyer have only got the 512GB and up, or the SX6000 drives which seem slower.

Thanks again Dave :)

Participant
    @tippon

Never mind, I’ve bought them. The SSD was £10 cheaper on CCL, so I went for it, and they should be here next week :yahoo: The motherboard was £3 more, but the cost of shipping would have wiped that saving out.

The only downside is no next day delivery thanks to the Coronavirus :negative:   I’m sure I’ll manage though B-)

Thanks again Dave, you’ve been a great help as always :yes:

Participant
    Budget Haswell Replacement? 10Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

I suggest using Task Manager to go through and clean out  some of the memory leeches that just sit in the back ground. Gog Galaxy plus the Epic Games launcher can use 10% of your memory and are not needed. Even Mailwasher uses 5%, while Kaspersky grabs another 5%.

Participant
    @ricedg

That’s the one. If you add a spinner look at the new version of the free AMD StoreMI software when it’s released. Basically it combines the SSD and spinner into one drive and keeps the sectors that warrant the fastest access on the SSD.

I’ve installed it twice now for customers and it works a treat. None of my PCs need an upgrade yet so I’m not using it personally.

Participant
    @tippon

Thanks Ed, but I’ve had no joy. I’ve tried unloading everything I can think of, and installed The Great Suspender, a Chrome addon that reduces memory usage by suspending inactive tabs, but it still happens. The odd part is that it happens more on my desktop with 16GB than on my laptop with 8GB. It’s as if Windows can’t figure out what to do with that much RAM.

I’ll try running Memtest overnight tonight again and see if it picks anything up.

Dave: I’ve got a 3TB spinner, but now that I’ve got the NVME drive, I’ll be using the SSD for Photoshop and my games, so hopefully that will speed things up too :yahoo:

Participant
    @ricedg

It certainly will.

The beauty of StoreMI is that it manages what you’re using most in that particular time period. It can use up to 256GB of fast storage so there’s room for plenty of stuff, especially as it operates at a sector level so only the relevant parts of a file are cached. It knows not to bother with files that won’t benefit, like music and video for streaming.

Both machines were for young gamers and the feedback is they’ve forgotten it’s there – it just works. No more having your whole Steam library on the faster storage. If you’ve stop playing a game it will quietly be dropped off the NVMe if something more worthy comes along.

Participant
    @tippon

Note to self – measure the graphics card before building the system :wacko:
    Budget Haswell Replacement? 15

Participant
    @ricedg

Very close but no cigar.

Participant
    Budget Haswell Replacement? 17Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,584
    Participant
    @tippon

Thanks for the link, but the case is just too small. It’s an old Shuttle, so is tight for space at the best of times. I may switch back to it in the future, but for now it’s been sidelined again.

I got everything into my CiT case eventually, but it took hours longer than it should have. I forgot how bad the watercooling ‘support’ is, and ended up drilling new holes :wacko:

Participant
    Budget Haswell Replacement? 17Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,584

My current case is of the “Don’t worry about it” variety. Its the standard height for a full size ATX mid tower but wider and much deeper than most. There are also 10 drive bays and 3 different ways of mounting a water cooling kit along with an EPS sized PSU.

The upshot is that when it comes to whether a component will fit I ” Don’t worry about it” 😂

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.