Forumite

Build Problem

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Build Problem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Regarding the previous thread “Mobo fans” and the build for my son: I am having problems with the Hdd. The Gigabyte PDF manual I downloaded states that Windows must be installed before any Giga drivers are installed, which is not what I have ever done before. So I booted and all lights lit, fans worked (hurrah!) CPU fan and VGA card spinning. Started installing Win 7/64, got to the point of changing “US” settings, KB & mouse stopped working. Couldn’t proceed with installation. “Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to start” which I did. “Boot Mgr Missing”. Oh sh!t.

Removed Hdd and installed to my good old ICYBOX Ext. case, used CPanel-Admin Tools to check. No MBR. Does that mean same, or function same, as Boot Mgr? I formatted the Hdd again, switched off Ext. case and gave it 30 sec’s or so, restarted it. Checked Admin Tools – Disk Management and there is now a small partition containing the MBR, which I must have missed at previous format.

Problem with this build, or any such process in this tiny spare room, is limitations of space. I have to remove one system box in order to test another, and vice-versa when I need to find stuff to apply to the build. Questions: 1 – should I have ignored the Giga manual and installed the mobo drivers before installing Windows? 2 – Now that the MBR is present, can I expect to successfully install Windows?

Driving me mad: fortunately this is my son’s build and he is not worried about time. I think that the Win install fail was down to the missing  MBR, but I have searched so many sources that I am now confused by MBR and Boot Mgr. Any advice is welcomed, TY guys.

EDIT: just had a thought: I used the Ext. case to create a Hdd format. The PC driving this has an AMI BIOS. The new build has a UEFI BIOS. Does this make a difference?

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

A couple of things.

1. Say goodbye to Windows 7! All of your booting issues will be down to it, it’s just too old.
    2. You can’t install Windows drivers before installing Windows 😀
    3. AMI is a BIOS manufacturer, UEFI is the type of “BIOS”.

Things changed massively when UEFI took hold of the BIOS world, indeed it shouldn’t be called a BIOS it should be called the UEFI.

UEFI allows the formatting of hard drives as GPT drives not the old MBR (Master Boot Record). There are many advantages that we won’t go into here. It’s GPT , Secure Boot and Windows 7 that are causing your issues.

You can try and force the UEFI to act like an old BIOS and force MBR formatting but don’t. Really, just don’t even try you’ll go nuts believe me.

Get a key for W10 Pro off E-Bay and use the the media creation tool to create a bootable USB stick. Just let it do it’s stuff and Windows will be on there in no time at all. Most times it’s not worth installing the mobo manufacturers drivers, they will be out of date and Windows Update will soon have the correct ones on there.

If son can’t live without Windows 7 use Classic Shell. The problem then is finding stuff because Windows 10 will never be Windows 7. The Control Panel is just about dead. Things are done in a different fashion but TBH it’s a lot more logical. If you can’t find a setting use Search, it’s really good.

EDIT you probably shouldn’t have used your PC to format the drive as odds on it’ll be MBR and that could be an issue. Hopefully the mobo UEFI Compatibility mode will smooth things. You can convert the drive to GPT using these instructions.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Dave Rice.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

Thanks Dave, I take all that onboard as great advice and information. I fully intend to go to 10, just not yet. I did find something similar to your link and I put his Hdd in my desktop, used diskpart in command prompt to convert the disk to GPT, reinstalled his Hdd to the new build.. When I finish using my own desktop, I will have another bash at son’s. Problem in this room is that it is still mostly a spare bedroom and I have so little space that I have to disconnect, swap over machines and reconnect. I will be very glad when it’s all done and I can switch to 10. Son does not want 10 yet, he is afraid of it I think.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

I think you’ll have some problems Bob. You may find some drivers won’t install as MS has an agreement with the OEMs that after certain cut off dates new hardware will not be supported on older o/ses. This includes early builds of W10.

This is not the world you were in last time you did a build. In fact it is a lot easier than it used to be unless you go off piste. It truly can be a nightmare if you do and it’s so avoidable.

You are dodging the W10 bullet by less than 20 weeks, it’s never worth it.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

Points taken Dave, thank you. Win 10 ASAP.

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image