C++ Programming

HOME Forums Tech Makers & Builders Programming/Code tips C++ Programming

This topic contains 26 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

<p style=”text-align: right;”>Can we put this topic up please boss. In tech ?</p>

Spread the love
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,199

edX made a mistake in their very first attempt at showing how to split a class into sepperate declaration header and definition cpp files. The header called Math.h was:

#pragma once

static class Math

{

public:

Static int maths::pow(int base, int exp);

};

And the cpp definition was:

#include “pch.”

#include “math.h”

Int Math::pow(int base, int exp)

{

int result = 1

for (int 1=0; i<exp; i++)

{

result=result*base;

}

return result;

The error message was ” qualified name not allowed in member declaration” can anyone spot it ? Took me 20 min.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

edX made a mistake in their very first attempt at showing how to split a class into sepperate declaration header and definition cpp files. The header called Math.h was:

#pragma once

static class Math

{

public:

Static int Math::pow(int base, int exp);

};

And the cpp definition was:

#include “pch.”

#include “math.h”

Int Math::pow(int base, int exp)

{

int result = 1

for (int 1=0; i<exp; i++)

{

result=result*base;

}

return result;

The error message was ” qualified name not allowed in member declaration” can anyone spot it ? Took me 20 min.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Oops posted that twice. The second one is correct 😁

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Well we seem to have an extra “Math::” scope qualfier in the header file, as we are already in the “Math” class declaration this is not required or legal.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Hmm. I got the book ” A Tour of C++” for Christmas and very good it is too. The thing is though I have only read a little bit and already it is telling me that things I have been learning are going to be out of date.

I am now fairly confident with splitting my classes into separate declaration and definition files and then using an #include<header.h> in my main .cpp but the book says that with the coming of C++20 I should forget about that and start using module, export module and import instead !

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,946

Unless you have a professional need to keep up with the twists and turns of C++’s evolution, my advice would be to stick to the release you started with, as whatever the new flavour of the month it will be backwards compatible. Take some pleasure in knowing you do not have the problems of the Pythonic crowd where the change from 2.7 to 3.0 was totally incompatible, and they are still releasing point releases that are not completely compatible with earlier ones!

Imo the main value in learning C++ is the insight that the Object structure gives to program design.

Spedley
    Participant
    @spedley
    Forumite Points: 286

I can imagine Ed P.  I’ve just started using Python (3 obviously) and the amount online help has already shifted to 3 with most of 2 being outdated.  It does seem to have been quite a change!

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Ed is right with C++. It stays compatible. Your sourse code from years ago will still most likely compile and run. I am going to look into modules though because the author of C++ says I should 😁

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

The object part of C++ i.e. C++ without the training wheels! (joke)

link

Could sometimes be useful as C++ for areas where you need to have very tight code coupled with more generalised UI access code in one portable module and no run-time overhead.

Sometimes I think C++ adds complexity rather than maintainability.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I have found a couple of generic graphics library’s for C++ that act as a sort of abstraction for the underlying OS. These allow you to open windows, draw lines, circles and such like. As long as you can include a version of the library on your particular OS then the source code should be portable.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Well fancy that.

I just found out that even the most recent versions of C++ still support the “goto” keyword.

Now I can make my programs even more spaghetti like than usual 😁

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

How about.

int main()

{ label:;

cout << “Hello “;

goto label;

}

😁

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Very rarely a GOTO will save a mountain of recursive subroutine exits. Even the most pedantic haters of spaghetti code will agree that a simple GOTO is actually more clear and better code in such rare cases.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Atari BASIC provides the POP command for just that purpose. If you exit a loop before its completion using a goto then you should also use POP to clear the iterator off the stack.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I said subroutines, but it would probably have been better to pick out nested ‘if then’ loops as an example, as you are correct, just exiting nested subroutines leaves a stack clean-up issue.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I am going to swallow my pride and get Bjarne Stroustrup’s book on programming practice using C++. Why ? Because much of the C++ stl library is written in C++ and I need to know how to modify it !

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I am going to swallow my pride and get Bjarne Stroustrup’s book on programming practice using C++. Why ? Because much of the C++ stl library is written in C++ and I need to know how to modify it !

Why?

You may want to look at what Stroustrop says on it: link

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

http://www.stroustrup.com/programming.html

I also like the way he thinks Ed

Have a look at the preface and other links.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

No chance of me re wrighting an STL anytime soon but I can add my own operators with a new constructor. I think ?

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I think he has a point about separating computer science from programming .  Blue sky from useful ?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love